Other Hobbies....(2 threads merged)

Jeff

I enjoy rock climbing, canoeing, camping, hiking and reading. Though admittedly, most of these things get me to the fossils in one way or another.

I really enjoy Landscape and Nature Photography, probably as much as I enjoy fossil collecting. I also collect Salish and Nuu chah nulth baskets and artifacts.

I've always liked Nuu chah nulth design.

Personally, I play basketball and make music...and throw paleontology in there and that's pretty much all i have time for lol.

Theres a lot of commonality in virtually everyones passtimes... enjoyment from animals, the great outdoors, fishing etc... maybe youve unwittingly discovered a 'fossil collector type' in this thread... I slot right in there to spending a great deal of time previously camping out and fishing in pursuit of catching a 40lb carp...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I know that there are at least two or three antique bottle collectors on the FF. None of you newer subscribers interested in old bottles?

post-42-0-39779600-1294172728_thumb.jpg

Wow, those are really nice. Do you find them or buy them? I have my dads old collection of bottles and some I've added to it over the years.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Reptile keeping(which seems to be common amongst us on here), working on diesel trucks, playing piano, reading a good book, hiking, kayaking...

Wow, those are really nice. Do you find them or buy them? I have my dads old collection of bottles and some I've added to it over the years.

Thanks, 'barefootgirl'. Some of the bottles in the image were purchased at shows, some I brought back from Guyana. I have found a few good ones, though they are not in the image. How about an image of some of your bottles!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Fossils are my main focus, but I love basically anything biology/nature related. That includes walks in nature, roaming the beach, collecting recent echinoids, etc. I also like to read literature on fossils/biology, with a preference towards marine biology.

Sincerely,

Bram

Fossils: a way of life

I know that there are at least two or three antique bottle collectors on the FF. None of you newer subscribers interested in old bottles?

post-42-0-39779600-1294172728_thumb.jpg

Yes, especially if the wine is still in them :P

Thanks, 'barefootgirl'. Some of the bottles in the image were purchased at shows, some I brought back from Guyana. I have found a few good ones, though they are not in the image. How about an image of some of your bottles!

None of my bottles are as nice as yours, just old medicine bottles we find down in POC a lot. I do have a few that PaleoRon gave me he found while diving that I like a lot. My fathers were mostly old soda bottles. I really like the colors on yours.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I dug sucessfuly for bottles for years, outhouse pits turned out to be surprisingly easy to find in old habitated areas.I'll take pics of whats around these days, poisons, perfumes, ink bottles, always enjoyed patent medicines the most tho.

Carving wood and stone and cabbing meteor and gemstone.

Sewing giant Cody war kites, and flying them.Getting them back out of the sky is another story, lol.

This has always been a personal favorite from bout 12 or more years ago...:)

post-4577-0-44256600-1294454800_thumb.png

post-4577-0-46896200-1294454815_thumb.png

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Well, he's about done, 'cept for a polish down to 1500. I will take a break from trilos and carve a spirifer, it's good to break things up.

What's everybody else working on? Carving? Sculptures? Painting? Let's see...:)

Edit Flexicalymene, Anti-Atlas, Morocco, hehe

post-4577-0-26641600-1294783950_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-19152100-1294783968_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Fishing, Kayaking , Hiking, Camping, a little furniture refinishing, minor home projects,and just discovered astronomy.

Xonenine,is that an old 9.6 volt makita ?

yes, i've been remiss really, as I have had the makita 12 volt now for the last 12 years and i still havent carved it yet.

and I lost the chuck key for the 9.6, lol

thanks!

Outstanding work, Carmine! :wub: On the Trilo and the Drill!

Bravo!

Regards, :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thanks

the cat gets angry and slaps whatever has the most scent of me onto the floor if I'm ignoring him, in this case the rough finished calymene.He is him, tho, he does that, I recarved the head down a 1/4 inch.

• 1 month later...

We all LOVE to collect and find fossils but is there another hobby or secret talent that you have that could also describe you? Share it here!

Mine is very nerdy but I love to collect pokemon cards too. I dont have a lot of extra money to spend on cards but its fun to buy them every now and then. Some people spend like $88 per expansion to try to find all the rare cards which is nuts! My collection is here on photobucket:

my pokemon card collection

edited by tracer to fix link

EDIT: MERGED FOR CONTINUITY

:) Since my post in the other thread, I can take one off and add one.I no longer feed the bears[F.H.P.] Too expensive.And since I wanted to grow up and be like tracer you can now add being a smarty pants. :D What? :laughing on the floor 24: Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

We all LOVE to collect and find fossils but is there another hobby or secret talent that you have that could also describe you? Share it here!

Mine is very nerdy but I love to collect pokemon cards too. I dont have a lot of extra money to spend on cards but its fun to buy them every now and then. Some people spend like $88 per expansion to try to find all the rare cards which is nuts! My collection is here on photobucket:

my pokemon card collection

edited by tracer to fix link

LOL! i used to be hooked on pokemon! :P

i alwase like turtwig ;)

:P

My hobbies:

Carving

Photography

Mineral collecting

Feather collecting

Marine/freshwater organism collect

Insect collecting