Other Hobbies....(2 threads merged)

Jeff

Something I've considered, should the ambition bug bite :rolleyes: , is combining one of my statehood quarter sets with a fossil that is representative of each state. I know some states have a state fossil; the rest would be subjective. Having said that, being volcanic, does Hawaii have fossils? A feasible endeavor?

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. Has anyone else done it?

You may be in luck: http://www.geoworld.org/Hawaii/Prehistory

If you can find those fossils, that is :)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

...being volcanic, does Hawaii have fossils?

The southernmost islands are pretty new, and the northernmost are subsided and/or worn away, but in between some late Pleistocene fossils have been found (mostly seabirds).

post-423-0-02168400-1302128054_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

a first attempt at a sharks tooth - the carving fractured on a fault line about three hours in, about 1 in every 20 or so carvings fracture, or crumble...:o:rolleyes::)

Wow! that's wonderful and I want one!!!!! :bow: :thumbsu:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow! that's wonderful and I want one!!!!! :bow: :thumbsu:

Thanks BFG.If you PM me a picture of a shark tooth you like, then I will carve you one!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 6 months later...

It seems i missed this in my original post..

I am also fairly large in astronomy, focusing in on stellar systems..

im also starting with photography... i find it convinient how astronomy and pleontology go long similarly, yet re both so different at the sme time!

cheers! :D

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

idk if i already replied to this but i'm also a music guy!

i've been playing the cello for over 6 years and i also sing and play the guitar (all three types). i also like art, and i go a little bit overboard with clay.

however, none of these could compete against my love for fossils! ;)B)

My other hobbies are collecting stamps, making jewelry, collecting rocks & minerals and reading.

Indoor Hobbies:

• 3D Modelling / Animation
  • collecting movies
  • reading fantasy fiction (David Gemmel)

Outdoor Hobbies:

• Exploring Qatars deserts
  • camping (now the weather is better)
  • walking

CHEERS

• 2 weeks later...

1)a rough blank for the first "winters'" carvings, one I've wanted to try, a tully...

2)thinned out a little more...

3)getting closer to the desired form now, how I will ever get the neck that thin, I don't know, I spose keep thinning it till it breaks... :)

4)the neck is almost thinned enough...

5)almost there...

post-4577-0-32511600-1321501908_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-65557400-1321897183_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-70217400-1322003548_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-23448800-1322396875_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-49167400-1323006529_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

On top of fossiling and rock collecting, I enjoy painting, collecting arrow heads, steins, Delft Blue, coins, knitting, hiking, fishing and some photagraphy just to name a few. If it were Blaine responding to this thread it would be building big trucks, building big motors, basicly building anything that eats alot of gas and goes really fast!

post-5476-0-29175200-1321508208_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-78289000-1321508265_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-27190600-1321508456_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-33606400-1321508545_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-53224800-1321508745_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-43258500-1321508971_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-86505000-1321509015_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-31179500-1321509230_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-35097600-1321509263_thumb.jpg

Edited by chele

Chelebele

Pittsburgh Steelers

Hunting & Fishing

Arrowhead/Artifact collecting

taxidermy

Pittsburgh Steelers

US Currency collecting

Stamp collecting

Fossil collecting

Pittsburgh Steelers

Hopefully one day in the near future-Scuba Diving (for fossils and artifacts)

Very brief stint in Sky Diving years ago

tatoo 2.bmp

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Green Bay Packers (like there is any other team... :rolleyes: )

Fossils - way too many

Minerials - some

Crystals - a few

Gemstones - last count was around 600, mostly rare stuff

Sports autographes - a few

Fishing - or should I say fossil hunting :P, I do not catch many fish.

Running 3 business'

Wow. I'm tired just from listing them, time for a nap :)

Troy Nelson

very nice chele, the painted skulls are a great idea!Heres a smaller 12 foot wingspan Cody kite, it could lift a person slightly at this size, and is often hard to get back down out of the sky once its up in stable air, a couple of thousand feet.

It's a hoot to me that Samuel Cody was the creator of this design, which became very famous and was implemented for various purposes such as general man lifting, weather testing. rescue, and flight manuever practice for aerial combat.I think the large kite in the back of Codys' picture below is 43 feet, about his largest.

Whenever I get back to sewing kites, the next will be a 20 foot Cody... :)

post-4577-0-25575700-1321655506_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-60177200-1321655508_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have several other hobbies, a few of the are fishing, archery, hiking, motorcycles, hunting, wood working, and several more. The list could get very long very quickly.

Fly fishing

Fly tying

Big fish hunting

Researching(fossils and hvac)

Adding to the jeep(for fossiling)

And learning to survive outdoors just in case while doing all of the above including looking for fossils, have to be always prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

a favorite mp3 player skin, the AP8000...there are those who scoffed, naysayers who said you do not need a jet engine powered mp3 player...

on the other hand, everyone knows you DO need a Eurypterid to play music on... :)

Edit: I am looking for a line drawing of a trilobite for the next music player, to animate so that it can unroll and enroll, if anyone has access to such an illustration...

post-4577-0-42647800-1324657348_thumb.png

post-4577-0-18081500-1324739492_thumb.png

Edited by xonenine

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my list....

Fossil collecting - (duh) :)

'Strata collecting' - I've gotten hooked on imaging outcroppings of the various strata in the area.

Astronomy (field) - Mainly comet observing, and some deep sky from time to time.

Astronomy (armchair) - I follow the many missions currently in operation. MER and Cassini are my favorites. I can't wait for MSL next summer.

Storm watching - Note that I didn't say "storm chasing", since I almost killed myself in a local F4 tornado during a 'chase'.

Hiking - Mainly in the Colorado Plateau, especially in narrow canyons.

KC Chiefs - When they don't s.... :)

Bird watching - There are many types of birds that hang out around the lake behind my folks' house. We've seen 4 types of herons alone, and the Canada geese carry on like a soap opera at times.

Context is critical.

idk if i already replied to this but i'm also a music guy!

i've been playing the cello for over 6 years and i also sing and play the guitar (all three types). i also like art, and i go a little bit overboard with clay.

however, none of these could compete against my love for fossils! ;)B)

I have played the cello for 4 and a half years now! :P

I'm a huge dinosaur toy/figure collector. My collection has over 300 separate figures in it. I'm also into music. I play piano, alto sax, harmonica, and guitar.

• 5 weeks later...

Except fossils? Hmm...

Snorkeling, Scuba Diving,

Programming Microprozessors, Electronics

Minerals

Reptiles and birds (around 20 turtles, some snakes, chameleon, geckos)

Orchids (mostly dendrobium)

Collecting antique glass - mostly roman glass

I lived and studied in Mainz, an old town in Germany founded as a military post by the Romans in the late 1st century BC. Times were rough, Mainz was several times sacked by Alamanni forces, Vandals, Suebi and other Germanic tribes: People tried to hide their precious things and some of them ended up in pit latrines.

I always tried to find places where soil excavation work was going on; old pit latrines showed up by dark colors. You could find lots of interesting things there.....I loved them.!

post-2081-0-22371700-1328440328_thumb.jpg post-2081-0-45169700-1328440365_thumb.jpg post-2081-0-73032400-1328440386_thumb.jpg post-2081-0-61368700-1328440403_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-53586500-1328440420_thumb.jpg

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Beautiful glass and so well preserved, Thomas! Thank you for sharing.

Most of them were shattered to pieces. Had to glue a lot - you really need to have a steady hand and to be patient. Excellent training for glueing fossils. ;)

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I really admire those with artistic ability. I have none. NONE!

I've burned through a lot of hobbies, but the mainstays are:

Programming.

Electronics. This little circuit board I designed is my latest home project. Without getting too geeky, it goes in a model rocket and measures physical quantities like acceleration, air pressure and temperature and uses the data to make decisions about when to control certain flight events like ejecting a parachute. It also records all the data to memory for later analysis.

5152351814_e4926af8d9.jpg

Here it is in a small rocket (1-5/8" dia.)

5152351906_9e344ce98a.jpg

Speaking of rockets, here is one my latest, this is all paper and wood:

6866658761_54146383cc.jpg

Painting (not art) see above. :)

Bicycling.

Motorcycling.

Cooking.

Being a full time dad to a Boston Terrier!

• 2 months later...

I sculpt, paint, take pics,draw & make jewelry .

post-3008-0-29654500-1336289225_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-29377600-1336289464_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-29313600-1336289498_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-36088600-1336289635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ameenah

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Antique bottles (Digging in old dumps)

Metal Detecting

Golf

Bowling

fishing

Coins (die Varieties and errors)

Painting

Drawing

Caricature Sketches

Buy and sell Antiques (Garage sales, Estate sales, etc.....)

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.