Poor Man's Air Blaster

TOM BUCKLEY

Help me build one were do I start???

The best place to start would be at my first post to this thread. As my father always said, "The best place to start, is at the beginning".….or was it my grandmother?wacko.gif

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 4 weeks later...

The whole point of starting this thread was to show that an economical and effective air blaster can be had for$100. With my unit, which only has about an ounce container mounted on top, you can open the flow control all the way and it would still take 5 min. to empty it.

I can imagine that the 1 quart container would take a lot longer.

These Paasche units are not designed for use by a high-volume preparation lab but rather for the occasional user, such as myself, who preps a trilobite about every three weeks. Granted, other units on the market with price tags of $400-$4000 or more versatile and hold a lot more powder. But, like I said, for $100, the Paasche units serve the purpose for me and I imagine many other people as well.

Also, keep in mind that amateurs such as myself are constantly changing abrasive media in the quest for the right powder for the job. In light of this, having a small container to empty and refill is actually a benefit.

Tom

I am using two of the Paache units (got the 2nd one recently on ebay new for $35 in an auction generally are $100 new), one with baking soda and one with Dolomite for green river fish. Definately works for this application. I have two units specifically because of the need to use different abrasives and my laziness in switching the media. I only use at the very end of the prep. I generally set to 20 pounds but occasionally turn up to 30 when dealing with some stuborn matrix. I tried with aluminum oxide (sample quantity comes with unt) but found it was too abrasive and really gave no room for error. The units I have the small container mounted on the top. Running baking soda not full open gives me about 10 minutes . Full open it is empty in under 5. I generally run the unit fairly closed as it allows me to be fairly precise. I reuse the material by sifting through a 200 mesh screen that I got on Ebay ( round copper stackable got used set of 40,50,60, 100 and 200 on Ebay auction for $35)Anything that does not go through the screen I through away. Made the mistake of trying to re-use when I first got it without screening and it clogged the unit almost instantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

Great thread. I'm glad you made a point of saying (and more than once) that this would not be the way to go for a pro prep lab. Changing powder that quick could drive a full-timer nuts. I hear collectors talk more and more about prepping their own stuff beyond dental tools and your set-up looks like the kind of thing where someone could try it out to see if they have the patience and tenacity for it without a major investment (and it's likely someone could find another collector who would buy the set-up if he found he didn't like it). It provides the same work experience with a view of the next level.

The whole point of starting this thread was to show that an economical and effective air blaster can be had for$100. With my unit, which only has about an ounce container mounted on top, you can open the flow control all the way and it would still take 5 min. to empty it. I can imagine that the 1 quart container would take a lot longer.

These Paasche units are not designed for use by a high-volume preparation lab but rather for the occasional user, such as myself, who preps a trilobite about every three weeks. Granted, other units on the market with price tags of $400-$4000 or more versatile and hold a lot more powder. But, like I said, for $100, the Paasche units serve the purpose for me and I imagine many other people as well.

Also, keep in mind that amateurs such as myself are constantly changing abrasive media in the quest for the right powder for the job. In light of this, having a small container to empty and refill is actually a benefit.

Tom

Yeah, aluminum oxide should be used only on really tough matrix (whenever sodium bicarb seems to be doing nothing) and should be tested on an area of rock away from the fossil.

I tried with aluminum oxide (sample quantity comes with unit) but found it was too abrasive and really gave no room for error.

Edited by siteseer

I am using two of the Paache units (got the 2nd one recently on ebay new for $35 in an auction generally are $100 new), one with baking soda and one with Dolomite for green river fish. Definately works for this application. I have two units specifically because of the need to use different abrasives and my laziness in switching the media. I only use at the very end of the prep. I generally set to 20 pounds but occasionally turn up to 30 when dealing with some stuborn matrix. I tried with aluminum oxide (sample quantity comes with unt) but found it was too abrasive and really gave no room for error. The units I have the small container mounted on the top. Running baking soda not full open gives me about 10 minutes . Full open it is empty in under 5. I generally run the unit fairly closed as it allows me to be fairly precise. I reuse the material by sifting through a 200 mesh screen that I got on Ebay ( round copper stackable got used set of 40,50,60, 100 and 200 on Ebay auction for $35)Anything that does not go through the screen I through away. Made the mistake of trying to re-use when I first got it without screening and it clogged the unit almost instantly.

i have a question do you have the link or the search info you put into ebay to bring this mesh ((screens) you are talking about and when you Paache is this the air blaster described in the first of this thread or something different.

thanks

james

when one refers to baking soda is this the same type used in grocery store by the box or are there cheaper and better type to get i need to know so i do not go out and get the wrong stuff..hehe

james

Nice username, Doctor.

I liked the "Eiger Sanction" too.

when one refers to baking soda is this the same type used in grocery store by the box or are there cheaper and better type to get i need to know so i do not go out and get the wrong stuff..hehe

james

james

I was confused about this as well. Recently I posted the question >HERE<.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the compliment. My next step - up will be to increase magnification. A friend of mine is making me a simple, rigid microscope mount so I can use my stereo microscope over the box.

Tom

Tom,

Great thread. I'm glad you made a point of saying (and more than once) that this would not be the way to go for a pro prep lab. Changing powder that quick could drive a full-timer nuts. I hear collectors talk more and more about prepping their own stuff beyond dental tools and your set-up looks like the kind of thing where someone could try it out to see if they have the patience and tenacity for it without a major investment (and it's likely someone could find another collector who would buy the set-up if he found he didn't like it). It provides the same work experience with a view of the next level.

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

i have a question do you have the link or the search info you put into ebay to bring this mesh ((screens) you are talking about and when you Paache is this the air blaster described in the first of this thread or something different.

thanks

james

Yes, Paasche is the manufacturer of the units.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

james

The baking soda being talked about is good old Arm & Hammer from the supermarket.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Thanks for the compliment. My next step - up will be to increase magnification. A friend of mine is making me a simple, rigid microscope mount so I can use my stereo microscope over the box.

Tom

Will it be a "teeters" model? Mine is.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Tom

please advise status provide pics and tell us how you like it.

james

Nice username, Doctor.

I liked the "Eiger Sanction" too.

not very many people know how i got this name cool you mention it.

doc

Will it be a "teeters" model? Mine is.

Brent Ashcraft

How did you guess?lol.gif

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

How did you guess?lol.gif

Tom

I also have a teeters model blaster, and a "Geology of I-55" signed by the man himself. You probably saw the blaster in the background, amidst the piles of junk in my garage.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

james

The airblaster is the one they have talked about in the forums as the poor mans air blaster. It looks just like an airbrush with a litle round tank on the top. I find it works really well but I am using it for green river fish

The screens were round and are a standardized set that I think was used by geoligists for mining assay, the ones I got were brass and very well made.You can find them "sieve mesh" and "sieve mesh brass". They are also called classifiers by people who use them for sorting gold flakes / dust. They stack so you can use them in series to sort out the sizes I have 20,30, 40,50,60 70,100 and 200 mesh and a bottom and a top. What comes through the 200 is like a very fine talc.

james

I use the generic sodium bicarbonate which I think is all that baking soda is, it comes in a big 1 kilogram box (2.2 pounds) pound box. WIth reusinging it multiple times it is pretty darn cheap

• I found this Informative 1

That's another reason I went for the Air Eraser with the integral powder reservoir. I called Paasche and they said that unit could handle 80 lbs. I've subsequently learned that I only need 10 -50 lbs.

Tom

I am running the paashe air eraser at typically 20 pounds and it works quite nice on final cleaning of green river fish. If I set it at 50 pounds it works but it is way to strong and goes through the baking soda way too fast.

• 5 months later...

I can't find them. Sorry.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

I can't find them. Sorry.

Tom

I just tried the link in my original post and it still works. Maybe try it again?

Tom

Edited by TOM BUCKLEY

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Bummer, when I click on the link to look at your blaster it says it cannot find the page at picasa :(

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Picassa changed the address. Let me know if this works.

Tom

https://picasaweb.google.com/102873949153948180953/20100830?authkey=Gv1sRgCJO1qsHurY6UqgE#

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON