Poor Man's Air Blaster

TOM BUCKLEY

The new microscope ring light I have on order is a 144 LED model. I suspect it will work just fine from the reviews I have read. Up here in Canada LED bulbs (that replace incandescent) of any brightness are prettty expensive.

Down here the LED replacements for incandescents are about $25 - $30. I think a law was passed banning all incandescents at some time in the near future, but I think it was repealed.

The high price of LED's applies to the large replacement sizes for typically-sized incandescents. The small LED task lights are very reasonably priced. They can't light an entire room but certainly give off enough light to illuminate your typical invertebrate fossil. Unless we're talking about those giant meter-long Canadian trilobites. You certainly grow them big up there.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 4 months later...

1) This is a Great Thread

2) I am no expert on prepping

3) I am an artist that does a lot of detail work

I have a Suggestion on Lighting, try an OTT brand light, LED true light. We use these for high resolution closeup photography.

Also, have a portable black bar light available working with baking soda. The black light will make the soda fluoresent and the detail of the fossil will be mirrored (as in a negative form).

Idea, for the very delicate detail, try retrofitting a high capacity Nebulizer (breathing treatment machine) that has a dehumidifying unit buit in. You can generally find these at yard sales, craigslist and thrift shops.

Also, I know that drying is a major topic. I found a portable kitchen bun rack to store my specimens on, I layer them on full/have size cookie sheets. you can purchase zip up covers for less than $10. In addition I found an closed unit that I am considering getting and looking at connecting a room dehumidifier intake. Just Ideas!

Right know I am drying the smaller fossils in a large dehydrater on low in my outdoor studio, this is my first try with this, I believe this will work and I picked it up for $5 at a yard sale! I will let you know the outcome.

Gratitude and Well Wishes!

Ashley

I was reading the earlier messages to this string. Badger makes a similar air abrader to Paashe. It is easy to handle, refill, clean, tear down and replace parts. I don't use Baking Soda, Powdered Limestone, Powdered Dolostone, Dolomite, Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbide. I only use ATH (Aluminum Trihydrate). I've been telling fellow prep-parers for years. I guess it is hard to move outside the realm of familiarity. Here are some bugs that I prepped using only a pin vise and a Badger air abrader at 45 psi filed with ATH. You judge if it works.

Thanks for the participation in this post! I just got my badger today and have ordered the Aluminum Trihydrate! I am so excited!

Gratitude and Well Wishes!

Ashley

Sorry if I've simply missed it but are there online resources for polishing/abrasive supplies, specifcally Aluminum Trihydrate?

Thanks, Gary

• 3 months later...

Sorry if I've simply missed it but are there online resources for polishing/abrasive supplies, specifcally Aluminum Trihydrate?

Thanks, Gary

\

Hello Gary,

Don't know if this would work - but I'm guessing it would - a supplier for for Dolomite or Aluminum Hydrate (trihydrate).

MY LINK

Interested to hear other's opinions.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

for those still watching this thread... there's been a lot of talk about dolomite. I use dolowhite, but there are other forms out there. The link in the preceeding post has two types... dolowhite and dolocron. Does anyone use the dolocron? Is there any difference. I just bought some dolowhite from this same outfit, and it is the same stuff I have been using for years.

• 3 weeks later...

hi can you give me directions how to build this thing you made so I can work on my limestone fossils please ?

my email address is warioman1000 <AT> gmail.com

and thank you