Show Us Your Pets!

xonenine

attachicon.giftijggie.jpg

This is my great little "Tijgertje"

2 weeks ago I had to put her asleep. she was 19 years old

It is quiet in the house without her.

I feel for you with the loss of Tijgertje. I had a had to put to sleep 2 cats last year and it was so hard. One was 21 and the other 16.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Having to let go of a pet is so difficult. I don’t think I will own any more pets. At my age, I worry about them outliving me.

Here is a photo of my daughters pet “Texas Ironclad Beatle”.

attachicon.gifsparkle.jpg

Its name is “Sparkle”.

Common Name:

"Ironclad" beetle

Scientific Name: Zopherus nodulosus haldemani Horn

Order:

Coleoptera

Description: The striking adult beetle is 5/8 to 1 3/16 inch long and the body is adorned by a black and creamy white blotchy color pattern. Its exoskeleton (integument) is extremely hard. Other species of the genus Zopherus, which contains 19 species, are known from western Texas. This beetle family (Zopheridae) is closely related to Tenebrionidae.

Life Cycle: Development progresses through egg, larvae, pupal and adult stages. Little is known about the biology of this species.

Habitat and Food Source(s): Mouthparts are for chewing. Larval and pupal stage of this insect have been collected from the dead wood of pecan, which apparently serves as the developmental site for this

species. Adult beetles have been collected from trunks of oak trees in the College Station, Texas area. Adult beetles are thought to feed on lichens growing on trunks of these trees. This beetle can be found clinging onto the trunks of trees or outer walls of homes in wooded areas. They are extremely difficult to kill in a killing jar and several hours may be needed for success.

Pest Status: Found in the central portion of Texas and south into Mexico; not known to damage live plants and is medically harmless. True ironclad beetle species occur in California.

Great, an insect! Love that beetle! I raise some insects too:

post-10984-0-86027100-1363805036_thumb.jpg These are Walnut Sphinx moth caterpilars.

post-10984-0-42980000-1363805058_thumb.jpg This is a Luna moth that hatched from a cocoon I found.

post-10984-0-96193500-1363805080_thumb.jpg These are Io moth cocoons. These are beautiful moths! I have a picture of an adult for my profile pic.

post-10984-0-09736700-1363805099_thumb.jpg This is an adult Promethea moth.

post-10984-0-91652400-1363805105_thumb.jpg These are some Question Mark butterflies hatching from their chrysalises.

post-10984-0-08483100-1363805112_thumb.jpg My favorite. An adult Cecropia moth. Most have a wingspan of 4-6 inches, but mine was a whopping seven inches across!

I am overwintering many butterfly and moth chrysalises and cocoons. They will hatch this spring!

Stephen

...attachicon.gif006 (9).JPG These are some Question Mark butterflies hatching from their chrysalises...

Question Mark, or Comma?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe they are Question Marks, sometimes the markings are variable like that. I found about a dozen Polygonia sp. caterpillars on an elm tree, and several hatched as Question Marks. Others looked like Commas, but since they were quite close to each other I call them all Question Marks.

Stephen

Thanks Masonboro likewise for you two cats.

The problem with me was that I knew it was the best for the little one, but still i felt like an executioner :(

Fossilfinder those are nice wingedspecies how old do they get? And I just wonder: Are there fossil butterflies or caterpillars?

Worthy,

I like your baby! :)

Peter

Thanks Masonboro likewise for you two cats.

The problem with me was that I knew it was the best for the little one, but still i felt like an executioner :(

Fossilfinder those are nice wingedspecies how old do they get? And I just wonder: Are there fossil butterflies or caterpillars?

Worthy,

I like your baby! :)

Peter

Since many of the moths and butterflies I raised were from caterpillars I found, it would be tough to put a lifespan on them. However, some I raised from eggs I collected. For example, a Monarch butterfly only takes about forty days from egg to adult butterfly. I'm not sure how long the adult lives after that. This is a very fast live cycle, because I have some other slower species that hatched from eggs in late spring/early summer, spent summer as a caterpillar, then overwintered as a pupa. Monarchs can get three generations in a year, whereas others take about a year or two to complete.

So, I would say the maximum age of the insects I raised would be two months to two years, depending on the species.

Stephen

Monarchs breed their way north in the spring, with each successive generation taking the genes further. The last generation of the year, however, migrates to their great, great grandparent's grove in the south, and overwinter as adults to begin the cycle again.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are my 2 dogs Nani and Lulu. :) Lulu just got groomed hence the bows in her hair. She took them out directly after this picture. lol Nani is almost 5 and Lulu is only 9 months old. Despite the big size difference they became fast friends!post-8801-0-02290400-1364316096_thumb.jpgpost-8801-0-51362400-1364316146_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite pets, but they are the next best thing :) :

post-6808-0-35097500-1365532949_thumb.jpg

These live in the lake behind the house.

Context is critical.

While photographing fossils yesterday, had to get a good picture of a few of the pets around here as they came by checking to see if I had food.

post-11442-0-43208000-1365619457_thumb.jpg

Not quite pets, but they are the next best thing :) :

attachicon.gif009-lake-turtles.jpg

These live in the lake behind the house.

that's a show I could watch every day, very nice :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Ginger, 19 years old! Look's irritable, but is so old and content!

My sweet Ginger! I had to put her to sleep today. I shall miss her greatly!

Edited by masonboro37

I'm so sorry to hear Libby.

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I'm so sorry to hear Libby.

This was a tough decision to make. She was 19 and a few weeks ago just fine. All went downhill fast. Kidney failure and lost weight quickly. Thank you for your kind thought.

My condolences Libby. :(

It's hard to loose a family member.

Kind Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:'( Sad to hear that Libby! 19 years is amazing and hope she didn't suffer at all... They really are family.

Sorry Libby. I known this situation, it is always difficult.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sorry to hear the sad news Libby. 19 years is outstanding and tells me she was very well cared for. I'll take this solemn moment to post my 'kids' pic too.

We have a pet cemetery near here that has equal protective status as any cemetery and I got 3 of my buddies resting there.

Here's Baybi and Jeegu to cheer you up a wee bit:

post-7395-0-80825200-1365774367_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Since many of the moths and butterflies I raised were from caterpillars I found, it would be tough to put a lifespan on them. However, some I raised from eggs I collected. For example, a Monarch butterfly only takes about forty days from egg to adult butterfly. I'm not sure how long the adult lives after that. This is a very fast live cycle, because I have some other slower species that hatched from eggs in late spring/early summer, spent summer as a caterpillar, then overwintered as a pupa. Monarchs can get three generations in a year, whereas others take about a year or two to complete.

So, I would say the maximum age of the insects I raised would be two months to two years, depending on the species.

Huzzah, insect facts! I can't believe I missed these posts earlier. Oh well, better late than never.

I wouldn't call them pets but I've raised Eburia quadrigeminata, the ivory marked longhorn, before. These guys can take decades to complete their life cycle if the conditions are right. There are many tales of them emerging from family dining tables and such. It sounds strange, but it was actually quite common to have wood borers emerge from finished furniture many years after purchase before kiln drying became common place. The oldest insect 'pet' I know of personally is a queen termite that is kept in a high school biology classroom. She just turned 33 last year. It's said that queen termites can live as long as 50 years.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Libby,

Sorry to hear about Ginger. :( I've had dogs most of my life and have had them pass on their own and had to put some to sleep, it's easily the hardest part of being a pet owner. Nineteen is a wonderfully old age for any dog and I'm sure you have countless loving memories of her. My condolences on your loss, I wish you the very best.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Thank you everyone for your kind thought's about Ginger.