Show Us Your Best Dinosaur Tooth!

Paleoworld-101

If it's from the Lower Cretaceous, that means it is older than 106 million years, and that means it is also the earliest tyrannosaur. So I doubt its age.

The previous Jurrasic - Cretaceous boundary in Utah was marked by a bed called "the calceri", paleontologist Jim Kirkland and the Utah Geological Survery discovered an important area of Cretaceous beds which sat below this calceri known as the Lower Yellowcat Member part of the Cedar Mountain Formation, these rocks sit on the late Jurrasic Morrison Formation. Within these beds is an extensive fauna of new species of early Cretaceous dinosaurs, newly described iguanadonts, ankylosaurs, Sauropods ect. This tooth was collected with the UGS, and others found in this area most definitely represent a new species of large theropod, the age isn't a question... Just need more of the animal to describe it!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• 5 months later...

It's no show stopper or museum quality tooth but kinda cool non-the-less...

From an un described new species of lower Cretaceous Albertosaurus, found in Utah... A few other isolated teeth have been found but no cranial/post cranial elements yet!

Cheers chris

kauffy, from what formation and locality in Utah is that tyrannosaurid tooth?

• 3 weeks later...

Little late here but I figured I'd still share with the group. I couldn't decide on just 1 tooth so I chose my four favorite ones. The top left one is a rooted Ceratosaurus, top right is Rugops primus, bottom left is Bahariasaurus, and bottom right is a 4

post-17312-0-59757800-1424667538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Runner64
  • I found this Informative 2

Awesome collection of teeth Runner64!

My favourites are the Cerat and Allo.

Just be careful with assigning specific id's to some teeth e.g. Bahariasaurus was described with no teeth found (that I am aware of) so until associated material is found no teeth can truly be assigned to it.

Additionally Rugops is not know from the Kem Kem beds and is found in Niger (a country that is very difficult to get teeth out of), Rugops remains have been found in deposits dated at 95MYO.

Keep up the collecting! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah I know about Bahariasaurus, I still like the tooth though, looks pretty cool! Thank you though, those two would probably also be favorites. I would really like to restore the allosaurus Tooth though, I think it would look a lot nicer

Very neat Ceratosaurus and Allosaurus! About all I have is a miniscule Dromaeosaur tooth and worn ankylosaur tooth :P

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Yeah I know about Bahariasaurus, I still like the tooth though, looks pretty cool! Thank you though, those two would probably also be favorites. I would really like to restore the allosaurus Tooth though, I think it would look a lot nicer

To restore or not to restore tis the question.

I am a fan of leaving things as natural as possible however I have seen some miracle workers out there that can cover almost any floor or imperfection.

• 4 months later...

Here its best tooth my unidentified theropod tooth probably is Deltadromeus its a 2 inch

post-19039-0-75124200-1436978750_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-75236700-1436978758_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-95425000-1436978831_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-34362000-1436978847_thumb.jpg

So many lovely teeth here!

Here are my most prized teeth: Tyrannosaurs from North America - a Hell Creek T-Rex, with 2 Judith River tyrannosaurs, possibly Daspletosaurus and/or Gorgosaurus.

post-10857-0-75532300-1436980530_thumb.jpg

Here its my best and my first worn out T-rex tooth i have though its doesnt look so good its a 2.5 inch and has no serrations my proud of my collection this tooth has its my first T-rex tooth though its not big and its worn out though i got it for a very great price for it :)

Nice pair of teeth minor, correction to your comment on the size of the T-rex tooth. For a pre-max tooth (if that's the position better photos would help) its a whopper "BIG" is the correct word.

My 1.38 inch Tyrannosaurid tooth. It's from either a Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus. The tip is broken off though:(

post-18981-0-34749300-1437113703_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-45146400-1437113865_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-84394100-1437113878_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-83106400-1437113891_thumb.jpg

Edited by RaptorFan4Life

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Here its best tooth my unidentified theropod tooth probably is Deltadromeus its a 2 inch

Thats big

This is neither the most beautiful nor the largest tooth I have, but it is undoubtedly the rarest in my collection.

Alioramus altai tooth with small jaw fragment.

post-4888-0-24711500-1437127571_thumb.jpgpost-4888-0-25420300-1437127575_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks you yes its a big tooth and your tyrannosaurid tooth is nice too though its missing a tip and it has serrations mine t-rex tooth doesnt have serrations cause its worn off

You're welcome. And thank you. Your Rex tooth is still really cool just for the fact that it's from a T Rex. How did you get it?

Edited by RaptorFan4Life

And also, that is a really nice Deltadromeus tooth! It looks great!

Thats a great price!

Yeah, that's awesome!

This is neither the most beautiful nor the largest tooth I have, but it is undoubtedly the rarest in my collection.

Alioramus altai tooth with small jaw fragment.

Great tooth Andy, I remember watching it on eBay for a while.

Great tooth Andy, I remember watching it on eBay for a while.

Hahaha, this is the only tooth I've gotten with this reaction. Two other collectors I know whom I showed the tooth to went: Oh YOU were the one who bought it!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Spinosaurus tooth - the largest tooth I have in my collection

post-4888-0-44345100-1437407853_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-83813800-1437407857_thumb.jpg