Show Us Your Best Dinosaur Tooth!

Paleoworld-101

Nothing like a rooted tooth and yours is super. Now I've seen these teeth both on Pachy's and Thesc's skulls but have no idea if you can differentiate between them.

That's a nice tooth. Did you purchase it or was it a self find?

I purchased it. I'm afraid I'm an armchair collector. It's been a dream of mine to actually get out into the field but whether it will ever happen I don't know.

I don't know if it's my best but it's one of my favorites. It's a fully rooted Pachycephalosaur fang tooth. The only one I've ever seen.

I see we have a new high-end dino teeth collector!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I see we have a new high-end dino teeth collector!

HaHa! Thanks! Troodon is the King of this forum! I can only fantasize about what it must be like to have his collection. I'm not even close to being in his league.

I don't know if it's my best but it's one of my favorites. It's a fully rooted Pachycephalosaur fang tooth. The only one I've ever seen.

Do you have any other nice teeth you would like to show to us? I know I would love to see some more.

Do you have any other nice teeth you would like to show to us? I know I would love to see some more.

I 2nd that! :)

These are a couple of tiny guys from Ovmogovi in Mongolia. Collected about 35 years ago. One is akin to Troodon, one to Velociraptor. However, the Troodon denticles are not as pronounced as what we tend to find here. Then again, I have never found more than a dozen Troodon teeth and all from the latest Cretaceous...so this one might be similar to those found elsewhere. It's also a bit larger than average, but not much.

post-19254-0-83841200-1444682312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 1

These are a couple of tiny guys from Ovmogovi in Mongolia. Collected about 35 years ago. One is akin to Troodon, one to Velociraptor. However, the Troodon denticles are not as pronounced as what we tend to find here. Then again, I have never found more than a dozen Troodon teeth and all from the latest Cretaceous...so this one might be similar to those found elsewhere. It's also a bit larger than average, but not much.

Nice teeth, especially like the Troodon-like tooth. Both are in pretty good condition. How big are they?

Nice teeth, especially like the Troodon-like tooth. Both are in pretty good condition. How big are they?

The Troodon is. 11mm. Our one's here tend to be more like 8 or 9 mm. The preservation is also a bit 'glassier' as if polished. Perhaps a bit of manganese and silica in the matrix. Fortunately it's just appearance as they still have good serrations.

I 2nd that! :)

Well, my main area of interest has always been herbivore teeth so that's what I have the most of. I know most people/collectors are more interested in carnivore/theropod teeth. I can take pictures of teeth you may be interested in, that's of course if I have them :-)

Edited by Dracorex_hogwartsia

Well, my main area of interest has always been herbivore teeth so that's what I have the most of. I know most people/collectors are more interested in carnivore/theropod teeth. I can take pictures of teeth you may be interested in, that's of course if I have them :-)

My collection consists of theropod and herbivore teeth equally! I collect mainly rare teeth from rare locations and dinosaurs. Would love to see what you have if you feel like sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

A while ago I bought this nice Gorgosaurus libratus tooth and recently I scanned it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, the wear facet is quite nice.

This is the only real Tyrannosaurid tooth I've ever held in my hand so I'm by no means an expert (Though I did sculpt a complete Gorgosaurus skull from foam of course :P).

But judging from the location of the wear and the carinae I would say this is a right upper jaw somewhere near the front. the size and shape goes well with the subadult skull I sculpted.

Sadly I don't have an exact location. All info that was given was that it's from Alberta, Canada.

The length is 4.8 cm (or just under 2 inch).

A couple of my thoughts. First not sure you can pinpoint the species other than saying its a Tyrannosaur. From that locality I think you have more of a chance of it being Albertosaurs than Gorgo. The wear facet can be both on the lingual or labial surfaces so its not an ideal indication of locations which can best be done by looking at the carinas along with the crosssection at the base. To me its a mid left dentary tooth, to oval to be an upper.

Well that's what the label said. It's a nice tooth regardless.

And concerning the position. If it's a dentary tooth, given that the upper jaw slides over the lower jaw. Wouldn't the dentary teeth have wear on the outside and premaxilla and maxilla teeth have wear on the inside? Because that's where the teeth would meet. On my tooth the wear is on the inside, not the outside. Which is why I thought it might be maxilla or premaxilla.

I'd doubt that food or something would create such a nice smooth flat wear facet. to me it would make much more sense if that was caused by another tooth.

Yes very nice tooth and sellers like to put species names on labels.

I always said that identification of isolated teeth is very difficult and even more difficult is trying to identify their jaw position. From what I have read the best way to identify the labial side is to look for a slight depression at the base of the crown which represents the track of the erupting tooth. So if you can see the depression that the lingual side. Now the next question is an upper or lower and thats more problematic and you may never know. Dentary teeth have more room in the jaw and are more oval while maxillary teeth more are compressed at the jaw line. The location of the carinas also helps with the position. I've attached a paper of Judith River tyrannosaurs see figure 3. I believe your tooth is G.

Yes the upper jaw slides over the lower and wear facets are caused by other teeth but I've not read anywhere that facets aid in identification of jaw position. I've got teeth with two wear facets how do you explain that.

app50-757-1.pdf

• I found this Informative 3

Great paper, thanks!

Thanks to having a 3D model of the tooth. I was able to easily make an exact crosssection of it. So here's a crosssection of the base of the tooth as well as one that is a little higher up. It does seem a bit similar to that dentary tooth you pointed out in the paper. Though mine seems to be more extreme in carinae positions.

post-3991-0-51318500-1446056621_thumb.jpg

And yeah, two wear facets does sound strange.

Technically my Tyrannosaurid tooth also has two wear facets. The big one on the inner side. And there's a small one on the tip that I would say is probably just from general use.

Yes I'm thouroughly hooked on using Photogrammetry to scan my fossils. And it is indeed great for showing the shape of certain teeth. My Spinosaurus tooth is next!

I'll say this that your 3D model was perfect for this. It's definitely the way to go.

Sure beats sawing the tooth in half!

I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned, because imaging sectional profiles this way had never occurred to me :blush:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned, because imaging sectional profiles this way had never occurred to me :blush:

I'm with you old fashion in these ways but soon changing, too much upside.

Haha wouldn't want to do that!

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

I purchased it. I'm afraid I'm an armchair collector. It's been a dream of mine to actually get out into the field but whether it will ever happen I don't know.

Same here, I know just how you feel

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

And here is another scan I just finished. My biggest Spinosaurus tooth at 9 cm long (or about 3.5 inches). It's a shame the tip is missing.