Show Us Your Riker Mounts!

xonenine

Hope to find the time to shoot some more :)

Dang, I thought those were fossils, Chas...didn't know you were shootin' them. :unsure::P

Seriously, that's a collection of uncommon to rare bird bones. Which is the rarest in these mounts?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

...Which is the rarest in these mounts?

Hell Creek, for sure!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, I tried to take some photos of a few of my riker mounts, and I agree with auxpex. It is hard to get the light right on these things without glare, etc. Anyway, here are some images of some of my riker mounts.

post-5008-0-28684300-1308890489_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-76208300-1308890514_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-72383300-1308890553_thumb.jpg

Well, I tried to take some photos of a few of my riker mounts, and I agree with auxpex. It is hard to get the light right on these things without glare, etc. Anyway, here are some images of some of my riker mounts.

Nice displays, Vertman!! (Love those Kansas fossils!) Where are the Sedgwick Co horse teeth from? Ark River?

Vertman---That is an awsome collection, like the Kansas material and the shark teeth from Johnson Co.--Really nice--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice displays, Vertman!! (Love those Kansas fossils!) Where are the Sedgwick Co horse teeth from? Ark River?

Yes. They are from sand/gravel deposited by the Arkansas River. I have a few mammoth teeth, a broken mastodon tooth, and what I believe are some large pig teeth from there as well. I should probably post pics of those and ask for help as I am not 100% positive as to their ID.

Here are the few Rikers I have. All these contain Peace River finds. And I agree with Auspex, a very difficult thing to do in photographing these things.

BTW, you all have some really nice stuff in your mounts. Makes me want to travel a bit and hunt in your areas. Auspex, you seem to get around this small planet of ours. Would that I could.

post-3390-0-30360100-1308956701_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-17725500-1308956704_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-05482200-1308956707_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-93165300-1308956709_thumb.jpg

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Wow great collection Hemi! I really like those smaller but perfect posterior megs!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

• 2 weeks later...

The teeth are all from New Jersey. A few regular riker mounts, some shadow boxes and a couple of different types of hinged mounts.

I have to go along with bmorefossil that the hinged mounts that can be displayed in an upright position are also my favorite.

They now make clips to replace the pins on the regular riker mounts. I tried these recently and found them to be a vast improvement over the pins.

john

post-2419-0-32210200-1310058038_thumb.jpg

post-2419-0-74041600-1310058041_thumb.jpg

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Quick question, where or how do i make labels like you guys lol. Do you use a program or something?

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Quick question, where or how do i make labels like you guys lol. Do you use a program or something?

Check out this link. I use this program to keep track of all my fossils and to make labels. It's very good and he'll take just about any fossil in trade for it..

Tom

http://www.trilobase.com/

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

The majority of me and my fathers collection aren't in riker mounts but here are some of the things that we do have in riker mounts, I was going to include some purchased fossils but thought it would be best to only show our finds. All the pictures are from New Jersey Except for the last pic which is a 3 3/8 inch chub I found at calvert cliffs.

post-4944-0-63634400-1310076144_thumb.jpg

post-4944-0-42208400-1310076153_thumb.jpg

post-4944-0-13587000-1310076188_thumb.jpg

post-4944-0-37798000-1310076222_thumb.jpg

The best places to buy Rikers are often from jewelry supplies wholesalers at gem/mineral/fossil shows. I have seen the 8x12" ones (popular size) for as little as $4-5 and they can retail elsewhere for $10-12.

One thing you should not do is mail a Riker with teeth or fragile bones pressed against the glass. Recently, a friend won a dinosaur tooth on Ebay and the seller sent it to him in a small Riker. Sometime during the shipping (box perhaps dropped or otherwise mishandled), tiny pieces broke off around the root so my friend was very disappointed. The damage was very minor but the tooth was arguably no longer the one he paid for. He paid a prepper to glue the pieces back seamlessly so the tooth looks like it did in the original photo.

I advise minimal handling though some people bring their Rikers with them when they travel to shows (comparing their specimens to those for sale or just to show to friends) and haven't had a problem.

Years ago, I made some fossil displays using Rikers for a friend who teaches fifth grade. With rather flat specimens like shark teeth you can leave the insert inside (used to be cotton years back) but sometimes I took it out for thicker specimens that would not fit otherwise (brachiopods, small jaw sections, some teeth, etc.). In that case I glued them to the back sometimes after drawing up a background on a sheet of light-colored construction paper.

I agree with Fossilselachian on including labels. A legible label for each specimen might take up too much room depending on how many specimens but you can always number the specimens instead and type up a legend to affix to the back. On the old Rikers a pre-printed form was on the back. You could fill in what was displayed along with the locality and general ID with space for a few remarks.

They are my favorite, a few years ago you could buy them at michaels but they are since discontinued and im highly upset about that, you can still find them at bed bath and beyond for a hefty price, my favorite are the small ones which have a stand so they can be displayed in an upright position. Thanks for the comment.

The teeth are all from New Jersey. A few regular riker mounts, some shadow boxes and a couple of different types of hinged mounts.

I have to go along with bmorefossil that the hinged mounts that can be displayed in an upright position are also my favorite.

They now make clips to replace the pins on the regular riker mounts. I tried these recently and found them to be a vast improvement over the pins.

john

post-2419-0-32210200-1310058038_thumb.jpg

post-2419-0-74041600-1310058041_thumb.jpg

These are awesome John, so well laid out!!!:D

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I have bought Rikers from several Ebay sellers, and one of them is outstanding in quality, price (especially if you need more than just a couple), selection, and service.

If you would like to hear my recommendation, please send me a PM.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Vertman, Hemi-God, great displays too, and thanks siteseer, for more good advice!!!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

What holds the fossils in place? Are you guys gluing them? Is it the foam pressing the fossils against the glass?

What holds the fossils in place? Are you guys gluing them? Is it the foam pressing the fossils against the glass?

The synthetic cotton filler holds the fossils gently against the glass. I don't put super fragile fossils (or irregular fossils with fragile protuberances) in a Riker; just comparatively robust ones with a "shallow draft".

Alright, got some pics of some of my Ramanessin ones. It's always hard deciding what to put in there, and especially in the shark tooth one, I'm constantly swapping out teeth as I find better ones. One day I'll get them spread out so I can put in all of my best examples.

The sharks.

post-1860-0-50334200-1310175305_thumb.jpg

Other cartilaginous fish.

post-1860-0-80830700-1310175317_thumb.jpg

Reptiles.

post-1860-0-88098900-1310175271_thumb.jpg

Auspex... What's on the second row from left to right on the Kendrick Quarry, Florida Pleistocene case?

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

It's always hard deciding what to put in there, and especially in the shark tooth one, I'm constantly swapping out teeth as I find better ones. One day I'll get them spread out so I can put in all of my best examples.

Roger that!

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Auspex... What's on the second row from left to right on the Kendrick Quarry, Florida Pleistocene case?

They (except for the second from the top) are the bases of crania (good band name!), from the area of the occipital condyle. These birds were eaten, by raptors, and the hard remains were coughed back up as pellets.