Show Us Your Riker Mounts!

xonenine

The synthetic cotton filler holds the fossils gently against the glass. I don't put super fragile fossils (or irregular fossils with fragile protuberances) in a Riker; just comparatively robust ones with a "shallow draft".

Thanks! I'm currently working on making some brass mounts for some of my favorite shark teeth. I'm enjoying learning the process of soldering and working the metal, but I can't say that it's been quick. I was curious to see how other people were displaying their teeth. Maybe I'll order one of those cases for the teeth I'm not making mounts for.

My first and only Riker mount. The rest are in cabinets.

post-6274-0-48571900-1310409095_thumb.jpg

Scott

"An evolutionary perspective of our place in the history of the earth reminds us that homo sapiens sapiens has occupied the planet for the tiniest fraction of that planet's four and a half thousand million years of existence. In many ways we are a biological accident, the product of countless propitious circumstances. As we peer back through the fossil record, through layer upon layer of long-extinct species, many of which thrived far longer than the human species is ever likely to do, we are reminded of our mortality as a species. There is no law that declares the human animal to be different, as seen in this broad biological perspective, from any other animal. There is no law that declares the human species to be immortal."

— Richard E. Leakey

my first and only riker mount, filled with cretaceous shark teeth, given to me from john/fossilsofnj! :wub:

Top row Scapanorhynchus texanus Lateral and anterior

Middle row Archaeolamna kopingensis, Paranomotodon angustidens, Cretolamna appendiculata

Bottom Squalicorax - S. kaupi and S. pristondontus

post-4996-0-12232200-1310420910_thumb.jpg

Ok ..I photograph so the corners of the pics are right inside the edges. So here are some of mine. :D

post-1313-0-11055900-1310423043_thumb.jpg

post-1313-0-10252900-1310423102_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-68636400-1310423130_thumb.jpg

post-1313-0-09526400-1310423161_thumb.jpg

post-1313-0-57671800-1310423182_thumb.jpgpost-1313-0-72853600-1310423201_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Best of my Lee Creek C. xiphodon (Isurus hastalis/xiphodon).

xiphodon_800.jpg

Westmoreland C. hastalis (Isurus hastalis) just under 3 inches with a 1 inch modern Great White. This is in a small riker

1000word1_websmall.jpg

C. auriculatus & C. angustidens various locations

100_0035_800.jpg

Shark Tooth Hill.

100_0090_800.jpg

Lee Creek 6 & 7 Gills, Upper rows: Pungo 7-gills, Middle Rows: Yorktown 7-gills, Bottom Rows: Yorktown 6-gills (which I have less success finding good specimens). P.S. The lower right-hand 6-gill came from Daryl via eBay and no Daryl you're not getting it back.

100_0245_800.jpg

Great Whites (Carcharodon) minus a couple Chile/Peruvian specimens too thick and large to fit

100_0247_800.jpg

Much more to follow.

Edited by Paleoc

Paleoc,

Cool Rikers. I'm looking forward to seeing the ones that follow.

The species xiphodon is a nomen dubium, which disqualifies it as a valid name. In fact, it's a three-time loser (see Ward and Bonavia 2001), who cited Leriche (1926). Not only is the type locality unknown (site originally given could not yield a mako) but also the type specimens are lost (unavailable for examination). On top of it the name had been out of usage for more than 50 years by the time Purdy et al. (2001) tried to resurrect it.

Jess

Miscellaneous stuff...

post-1674-0-31693400-1311085491_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I'm going to say it again, you all have some really cool stuff, some really cool stuff indeed.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Meg rikers

100_0276_800.jpg

Lee Creek Yorktown megs (teeth in the middle are 4 inches)

100_0275_800.jpg

The bottom right tooth is from a quarry just north of Richmond

The other two teeth are Lee Creek Yorktown teeth. The larger one is right at 6 inches but has been repaired (it was missing a root lobe).

100_0285_800.jpg

Lee Creek Pungo teeth, the largest tooth is about 3 3/4 inches

100_0277_800.jpg

More Pungo teeth.

100_0282_800.jpg

Bone Valley Florida teeth. The top 10 teeth were associated

100_0279_800.jpg

More Bone Valley teeth

100_0261_800.jpg

Maryland teeth, megs and other species

100_0287_800.jpg

Virginia, North Carolina (other than Lee Creek) and South Carolina teeth

wow Paleoc, stunning! What great attention to cleaning and display!!!:bow:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

If I'd have known what riker mounts are, I'd have been here a lot earlier! In Germany we call them simply flat displays. Sorry I'm late. There are some great things being shown here!

Now I can put in my two cents too, since I've got a few of the things hanging all over the house...they're very convenient for display and space saving. Here are the first ones. I'll post more later.

Lower Jurassic Ammonites from south Germany (above) and Charmouth, England (below)

post-2384-0-73373300-1312139745_thumb.jpg

Toarcian ammonites from Fuegerolles, Normandie, France

post-2384-0-44621700-1312139890_thumb.jpg

Little ones from the cretaceous in Provence, France.

post-2384-0-05230700-1312139970_thumb.jpg

Lower and Middle Jurassic, southern Germany.

post-2384-0-76286900-1312140045_thumb.jpg

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Paleocene Otodus from Maryland (a few may actually be Cretalamna as juvenile Otodus and Cretalamna can be hard to tell apart).

The bottom 4 are actually from the late Cretaceous of Maryland (the larger of the 4 measures 2 inches)

100_0257.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

Unusual Otodus from Morocco. These are large Otodus like teeth but are missing the lateral cusplets. They are not broken off but instead have a small bump or cutting edge where the lateral cusplets would be expected to be.

100_0262.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

Moroccan Paleocarcharodon except for the row of dark teeth at the bottom which are from Maryland

100_0288_800.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

Large Lee Creek Yorktown Hemipristis (the large lower is 2 1/4 inches). I may have to use a larger riker mount and add Pungo teeth

100_0265_800-1.jpg

A giant Tiger shark from the Florida Pleistocene. The white modern tooth is 1 1/4 inches wide.

100_0270_800.jpg

Lee Creek large Yorktown Tigers (G. cuvier) except for the white modern tooth.

100_0272_800.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

• 3 weeks later...

I posted these in another thread in which I initially asked for input into riker organization, but figured that it wouldn't take up too much server storage to put the pics in the member collections thread since I have yet to share my collection here. Thanks for humoring me. Jason

post-4422-0-64641300-1313534781_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-84673900-1313534790_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-88128100-1313534800_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-03575600-1313534813_thumb.jpg

I posted these in another thread in which I initially asked for input into riker organization, but figured that it wouldn't take up too much server storage to put the pics in the member collections thread since I have yet to share my collection here. Thanks for humoring me. Jason

Welcome to the Riker Brigade; they came out good. :)

Where did you get the Rikers that hold gem jars? I sorta' cobbled up a couple, but the tray depth wasn't a very good match for the jars.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome to the Riker Brigade; they came out good. :)

Where did you get the Rikers that hold gem jars? I sorta' cobbled up a couple, but the tray depth wasn't a very good match for the jars.

Thanks for the compliment! I got them off of ebay with a depth of 3/4". I think the gem jars can also be purchased a bunch of different thicknesses. I just made sure to order a riker box of equal depth so the jars didn't move around too much. The foam spacer sheet that the gem jars came in fit the riker boxes pretty well with a little trimming which keeps the jars from rotating in place. PM me if you want the seller id for the riker or gem jars.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Thanks, that's what I did, but the jars are a tiny bit too tall with the l1ds on, so I have then under glass sans lids, which, for the really tiny stuff, is less secure than I'm comfortable with.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

there are beautiful rikers on ebay that comes with 50 gem jars, I am going to try this for some of the micros :)

My link

post-4577-0-95684100-1313804508_thumb.png

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Did you try to re-pin?

Well, I brought this problem on myself, by wanting to have Jem Jars of micros (in cut-up foam holders) in the same case with bones from the same location. I'll try re-pinning to accommodate the jars (with lids), and add more backing to the bones. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

awesome rikers Roger, and Jason, thanks for photographing and sharing them!!!:)