Evolutionary Dead Ends

TCallens

I don't know that I would c all us the pinnacle of evolution. We do have highly developed brains, probably the "best" ever, but other organs, not true. We lag behing birds in a number of systems, particularly circulation of oxygen.

"New species of human"? Would another species evolved from humans be considered humans? An argument unto itself.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

So do you believe humans would become a different species all together, better adapted to their environment? Or have we reached the pinnacle of animal advancement, physically speaking?

That which can persist, will; that which cannot, will not.

The magnitude and (more importantly) the rate of environmental change will determine the results. The element of chance cannot be dismissed (and this is what frightens people), but H. sapiens is enough of an adaptable generalist (big brains are a big factor here) that we are not really statistical candidates (see "gambler's ruin" probability theory) for complete extinction outside of a real world-killer catastrophe. If the atmospheric oxygen percentage crashes, our big brains (with their enormous energy consumption) will become a big liability, and I would expect this to be the end of the road.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

.. If the atmospheric oxygen percentage crashes, our big brains (with their enormous energy consumption) will become a big liability, and I would expect this to be the end of the road.

We chemists would survive! We can generate free oxygen from a number of sources. Nerdom would finally win!

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I should also add, when I mean most advanced brain, I am referring to thought. Many speceis have better brains in other regions, particuoarly smell.

ashcraft, brent allen

I know of someone that will read a manual to death before they start a project even as simple as putting together a bookcase. I on the other hand skim it and look through parts and start project mine would be done hours before theirs...I have tested this to be true.:)

So with this I think some over analyzing would be the undoing of some of the survivors.

Its also a sad thought that the the loss of Power grids would do to a vast majority of earths population.

The one thing that sticks out to me is a Darwinism that fits the peoples that live a more removed lifestyle than the majority. "Suvival of the fittest" Those people that live without modern lifestyles, modern medical, and are not constrained by the dollar (insert your Monetary values here) (to buy all their needs) This would even affect some under devolped countries with dense populations.....Jeff/Tarheel

Remember that Darwinian evolution, though predicated on the success/failure of the individual, is only applicable in any meaningful way to the subject species population. Though we want to take it personally, extinction plays out in a much larger scale. Time, and the law of averages, blunts the overall effect of "bad luck".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Isn't this a new TV drama?

If Hollywood is to be believed we can survive anything and triumph over all.

The Blue Marble has to be preserved and protected, it is the only one of its kind close.

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !