First Crab Carapace! Ncfc Trip.

masonboro37

Wonderful trip and finds, Libby!!!!

Especially the crab is outstanding!!!

Every first find is good, more over if it is SO good!!!

Congrats and on your nice work with it...

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Excellent finds! The "first" of any fossil is hard to beat and beautiful crab at that..

Congratulations! :)

Thanks Roz! That is true that the "first" is always special. I am still in awe about the little crab. My son looked at it last night and just said "mommy crabbbbbbby bug". :D

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

That's more than Cyrtorhina, now I go to bed, but will be very difficult to sleep after this vision... :blink: but tomorrow we could talk on... :o

Hi MB, you have always posted gorgeous crabs! I can not believe this carapace held it together for 83my-66my....long time for such fagility in that rough PeeDee formation! ;)

Great report with pictures and nice finds, especially the crab. Congrats!

Thanks CH4ShotCaller! The crab is tucked away now in a safe riker. :)

Nice finds Libby. I guess I need to stop being so lazy and post my finds from the Belgrade quarry trip I made with Don aka sixgill pete.

Good morning John! Thanks about my finds....would enjoy seeing what you and Don found. Post some pic's please. I so want to get to Belgrade. Everyone was talking about it yesterday and the echi's which one may find there. Also, the teeth!

Very nice Libby!!!

Lordpiney, thanks for checking them out! It was a cool trip with great fossil friends. :D

I don't think I've ever seen a crab like that from the Cretaceous of NC. It is a very nice find. Your brachiopod looks like Probolarina salpinx, another nice find.

Good Saturday morning to you Al Dente! I had never even seen one like this in person. Thank you about the find! I found a drawing of it in the Cretaceous and Paleocene Fossils of North Carolina by J. Timmerman and R. Chandler. I can not believe this little carapace held it together for 83mya-66mya in the rough PeeDee formation. The brachiopod is not in the books I have or on the NCFC website id page. I was wondering what brach I had found. I will certainly look up P. salpinx. Greatly appreciated and thanks again. :)

oo0o0o0O0o0o0oo! Nice! Congratulations, Libby!

Hi Steve and thank you! I am still on cloud nine this morning. I keep going over and looking at the carapace. How have you been? ;)

Edited by masonboro37

Fantastic finds, Libby. :wub:

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim, this was an awesome time! I love to share finds and pic's. I wonder if I will find another carapce one day. I have found that when I have my mind set on a certain find, I never find it. I was not even looking for this little fella yesterday. I am now going to just keep and open mind and not zone in on something particular. Have a great weekend.

Awesome finds Libby! Wish we could have been there.

Good morning Hipockets! Thanks about the finds. Are you all going anytime soon? There is an area which is being reworked now. I am itching to get in there once allowed to the back section behind the pit.

Excellent finds!

Thank you very much PaleoRon. :D

Libby----Your fossil case is bulging with great finds, how long have you been hunting?---Tom

Hi Tom and my collection is growing faster than I expected. I have been into paleontology since I was about 7 years old. First started with archaeology and then got into rocks, minerals and the occasional fossil as a child. I would hunt the beaches as I still do now. My grandparents lived in an area on the sound where there was an Eastern Woodland Indian camp site. I had a blast growing up digging on the property. This past January I found someting I was not sure of on the beach and found The Fossil Forum website. I still chuckle at my very first post and it ended up being a nodule. Since January and joing this forum, I have seriously gotten into fossil collecting. I have learned soooooo much form everyone and their posts. I joined a couple of fossil clubs and started quarry hunting this past March. This has been awesome so far!

Very cool. I need to get there for some echs.

Thanks Rick and I will be waiting on ya to get down here and go after some echi's. ;)

Congratulations, Libby! Nothing ever beats finding your first crab. Enjoy it. Pat

Hi Pat! How is Aurora? Yep, this crab will go down in my fossil journal as one of my favorites. Great to hear from you!

Spectacular finds!!! Love the echies and carapace

Vordigern, thank you! Echi's are so splendid to find, just pop up when you least expect it. I am officially in a obscessed with my carapace. I need to hide it so I will stop looking at it. Teehee! :)

Edited by masonboro37

Awesome crab and very nice (and big) kellumi Congrats :)

Hello Nandomas! Thank you for the compliment about the finds. The echi is almost clean and I am happy to see all is intact! :D

Wonderful trip and finds, Libby!!!!

Especially the crab is outstanding!!!

Every first find is good, more over if it is SO good!!!

Congrats and on your nice work with it...

I have been missing your posts on the Forum. Thank you Astron and also for looking at my finds! The crab is my special little find! I have logged it in my journal with all the info on it for my son years from now. Enjoy your collecting, you always have some beautiful specimens!!!!!! :)

Hey Masonboro,

Your crab looks like Cyrtorhina fusseli from the Castle Hayne formation. Wish we did get something that looked like that in our Peedee! Aside from protocallionasa (mud shrimp) claws the only crabs I've seen in the Peedee are Ophthalmoplax stephensoni and Avitelmessus grapsoides. Both are occasionally abundant but usually rare finds. Doesn't mean that something new or different won't be found by you.

Plax

Edited by Plax

• 2 weeks later...

Has Probolarina brevirostris Cooper been synonymized under the older P. salpinx (Dall)? The angle of repose may be fooling me, but the brachiopod looks like a variation of the former to me; however, I'm no expert on the subject by any means. Nevertheless, I would be interested in why P. salpinx. I suppose you'd have to pull away the brachial valve to be sure; external morphology is so deceptive in brachiopods. More to the point of my comment, the brach has the cutest little "spirorbine" serpulid polychaete worm attached to it. Very nice specimens!