Brachipods Found In Hungry Hollow Last Few Weeks

lmacfadden

Here are some of the brachiopods I have collected in the last few weeks from the river's edge (Ausable River) near Hungry Hollow, Ontario. The water level is low enough to expose some great piles of stone to sift through! Most fo these are weathered but I love the diversity... and I like treasures in my pockets!

post-11011-0-21478100-1364770200_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Very nice, Lise! :)

Love it when they are so 3-d like that.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm definitely going to have to visit Arkona during my next trip north. Nice finds!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

lmacfadden, on 31 Mar 2013 - 18:54, said:

Here are some of the brachiopods I have collected in the last few weeks from the river's edge (Ausable River) near Hungry Hollow, Ontario. The water level is low enough to expose some great piles of stone to sift through! Most fo these are weathered but I love the diversity... and I like treasures in my pockets!

attachicon.gif IMG_8256.jpg

Most of the brachiopods pictured are Mucrospirifer thedfordensis. The wide ones in the sixth column are Mucrospirifer arkonensis. The small one in the fifth column is Cyrtina sp. and the one below that looks like it may be an Atrypa but not sure. The thedfordensis come from the Widder Fm. which are the top layers and the arkonensis come from the Arkona Fm. which is the bottom layer. The Cyrtina probably came from the Hungry Hollow Mb. which is the middle coral zone.

Nice specimens.

crinus

• I found this Informative 3

Most of the brachiopods pictured are Mucrospirifer thedfordensis. The wide ones in the sixth column are Mucrospirifer arkonensis. The small one in the fifth column is Cyrtina sp. and the one below that looks like it may be an Atrypa but not sure. The thedfordensis come from the Widder Fm. which are the top layers and the arkonensis come from the Arkona Fm. which is the bottom layer. The Cyrtina probably came from the Hungry Hollow Mb. which is the middle coral zone.

Nice specimens.

crinus

Perfect! Thanks for the help with identification. It was exciting finding the cyrtina (my sister had found 2 smaller ones that same day) since it seemed more rare than the other brachs (and I had never found one before). Woulld love to find a whole mucrospirifer arkonenensis complete with wing tips which I know is highly unlikely without a matrix... but I'll try anyway!

Awesome brachiopods! Thanks for sharing. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Great brachs, a pocket full of treasures is always a good day!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Did you find many of these in one particular location? I ask because I
found a pretty decent haul by the high banks on the north side of the
river back in 2011, all in approximately one spot, and most of those
specimens showed the same type of species variation as in the collection
you photographed (mostly Mucrospirifer thedfordensis, few M.
arkonensis, and a few Cyrtina plus one roundish species I haven't
identified yet).

While we're on this topic, would anyone be able to identify what this is?

My best guess at this point is Cyrtina sp., but I haven't been able to assign it to any species of that genus yet. It is more laterally compressed than Cyrtina hamiltonensis, much larger than C. coultisorum, and while it compares favorably with C. arkonensis it has a very clear "wing tip" on one side that i haven't seen in that species so far.

post-2166-0-04670700-1365428476_thumb.jpg

post-2166-0-76928400-1365428534_thumb.jpg

post-2166-0-28026700-1365428598_thumb.jpg

post-2166-0-08095600-1365428870_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Did you find many of these in one particular location? I ask because I

found a pretty decent haul by the high banks on the north side of the

river back in 2011, all in approximately one spot, and most of those

specimens showed the same type of species variation as in the collection

you photographed (mostly Mucrospirifer thedfordensis, few M.

arkonensis, and a few Cyrtina plus one roundish species I haven't

identified yet).

While we're on this topic, would anyone be able to identify what this is?

My best guess at this point is Cyrtina sp., but I haven't been able to assign it to any species of that genus yet. It is more laterally compressed than Cyrtina hamiltonensis, much larger than C. coultisorum, and while it compares favorably with C. arkonensis it has a very clear "wing tip" on one side that i haven't seen in that species so far.

I found them somewhere along the Ausable river on the low banks between Hungry Hollow and Rock Glen. I doubt that I could find the exact spot again.

The one you have there looks just like a cyrtina... a nice big one! Good find!

Wow. If that many turn up in the gravel, they must really be something closer the the source exposure(s). Have you tried to track any down?

Context is critical.

Wow. If that many turn up in the gravel, they must really be something closer the the source exposure(s). Have you tried to track any down?

No I haven't. I started finding them and placing them in my pocket and before I knew it, there were a couple dozen of them in my pocket a few hours later. I never thought of tracking them.

When I found a couple dozen in the gravel back in 2011 the river was
just receding, so I didn't make much of an effort to look for a source
exposure, though it almost seemed like they were from a small (<1
meter) outcrop under a tree.

I found them somewhere along the Ausable river on the low banks between Hungry Hollow and Rock Glen. I doubt that I could find the exact spot again.

The one you have there looks just like a cyrtina... a nice big one! Good find!

Well that's what I figured, but i want to know what species too lol =D

Nice brachs! I like to call 3D ones "butterfly stones".

Stephen