Show Us Your..... Display Cases.

newdog65

Also I need to see more mammoths/Proboscidea tooth love on this forum, nothing cooler than the largest teeth out of 500 million + years of life on earth

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

So AJ Plai, when are you taking orders for the floating stands? You could start a little side business. Cutomers could provide you with the measurements of their teeth and you could have the stand made to fit and then charge a mark up fee. Let me know if this would be something you were ever interested in. I have not been able to find such stands online elsewhere.

I have had quite a few friends from abroad who would like me help out by ordering some custom stands (with design and specs sent by my friends) and have them shipped to their respective countries, and I have tried hooking them up with the local maker on more than a few occasions - when they visited Thailand.

Though there is this difficulty of creating stands that would fit and function properly without leaving the actual specimen for the stand maker to work with. I think Rylawz hit the point with the problems with certain specimens with complex shapes or even the weight factor could make working with absence of the actual specimens troublesome. All of my pieces with custom stands were made with the actual specimens left with the maker so he could make it come out just right with little errors as possible. The nature of the work is very hand-made and intricate and the risk of not getting it right 100% would be quite high without the actual specimen. So I am not sure if that would be a risk anyone from abroad would be willing to take (having ordered the stand and to find out later upon receiving the delivered items that they don't fit or work properly with the intended pieces) to be honest.

Although sending casts of actual specimens with the closest weight to the real thing as possible would be the most effective way I can think off.

I have had quite a few friends from abroad who would like me help out by ordering some custom stands (with design and specs sent by my friends) and have them shipped to their respective countries, and I have tried hooking them up with the local maker on more than a few occasions - when they visited Thailand.

Though there is this difficulty of creating stands that would fit and function properly without leaving the actual specimen for the stand maker to work with. I think Rylawz hit the point with the problems with certain specimens with complex shapes or even the weight factor could make working with absence of the actual specimens troublesome. All of my pieces with custom stands were made with the actual specimens left with the maker so he could make it come out just right with little errors as possible. The nature of the work is very hand-made and intricate and the risk of not getting it right 100% would be quite high without the actual specimen. So I am not sure if that would be a risk anyone from abroad would be willing to take (having ordered the stand and to find out later upon receiving the delivered items that they don't fit or work properly with the intended pieces) to be honest.

Although sending casts of actual specimens with the closest weight to the real thing as possible would be the most effective way I can think off.

I understand. I am actually going to look into some minature doll stands too that have adjustable heights and have rubber coated grippers that you can adjust the circumference. I think this may actaully do the trick for most theropod teeth. I'll let you know how it goes. It may not be as pretty of an option but just may work fine.

I'm lucky enough to have a whole room dedicated to my collection. I'll be moving house soon and although I'm dreading that, the new house shall provide even more room for working and displaying. Here's a sort of panorama around the room using individual pictures taken about a year ago.

attachicon.gif012.2.jpg

Left cabinet: Upper Jurassic above and lower Jurassic below. Right cabinet: Lower Jurassic above, then Triassic, then Paleozoic. Plants are on the shelves, and the floor cabinet contains the overflow in the drawers.

attachicon.gif016.2.jpg

Middle Jurassic in the cabinet. The Rikers also contain things from upper & lower Jurassic and Cretaceous.

attachicon.gif014.2.jpg

Special and unique finds at the top. Below that Tertiary and Quarternary, then Cretaceous.

attachicon.gif001.2.jpg

Lower and middle Jurassic.

attachicon.gif002.2.jpg

Mostly middle Jurassic with a couple of Triassic multis.

attachicon.gif003.2.jpg

The bigguns at the top and the slices at the right.

AWESOME!! Really impressive and orderly display setup. Jealous! :drool:

I'm lucky enough to have a whole room dedicated to my collection. I'll be moving house soon and although I'm dreading that, the new house shall provide even more room for working and displaying. Here's a sort of panorama around the room using individual pictures taken about a year ago.

attachicon.gif012.2.jpg

Left cabinet: Upper Jurassic above and lower Jurassic below. Right cabinet: Lower Jurassic above, then Triassic, then Paleozoic. Plants are on the shelves, and the floor cabinet contains the overflow in the drawers.

attachicon.gif016.2.jpg

Middle Jurassic in the cabinet. The Rikers also contain things from upper & lower Jurassic and Cretaceous.

attachicon.gif014.2.jpg

Special and unique finds at the top. Below that Tertiary and Quarternary, then Cretaceous.

attachicon.gif001.2.jpg

Lower and middle Jurassic.

attachicon.gif002.2.jpg

Mostly middle Jurassic with a couple of Triassic multis.

attachicon.gif003.2.jpg

The bigguns at the top and the slices at the right.

very nice!!

I LOVE looking at these. I'm out of room again and getting some new ideas. Now if I can just find some of the wonderful fossils you're all displaying. :) Wow, you guys are good !!!!

Here's one of mine. It's a coffee table with a drawer 2" deep so small fossils only. post-11638-0-81449700-1382280854_thumb.jpg

post-11638-0-38456800-1382281026_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I LOVE looking at these. I'm out of room again and getting some new ideas. Now if I can just find some of the wonderful fossils you're all displaying. :) Wow, you guys are good !!!!

Here's one of mine. It's a coffee table with a drawer 2" deep so small fossils only. attachicon.gifDSCN5774.JPG

Lori

Really really nice!!! You have quite a diversity of species. Makes me want to head down to Florida. The coffee table with the drawer is really neat. I've never seen one with a drawer like that before.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Nor had I, but it's what I needed. I bought the glass and had it made. I've got the glass for 2 more. I just need to add a room to the house now. Haha

Everyone who enjoys fossil hunting should take a stab at it in Florida at least once. We don't work as hard as those who have to chip their finds from stone. B)

I really like the drawer in your display table. However curious. How do you prevent the fossils from jiggling around? Is it on drawer rollers? I prefer prefer a drawer to my raised glass lid. I find if I put a velvet like cloth underneath then everything stays where it is.

Fortunately no tremors or earthquakes in our area.

post-12698-0-89197700-1382388477_thumb.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have a whole room dedicated to my collection...

That is amazing!!!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Not quite a case...

attachicon.gifdisplay.jpg

...but home to my Carlile critters. :)

Mike

Really nice! How large is your largest specimen? A couple look really big. I had to carry a 35 lb Eocene nautiloid a couple of miles in my back pack along a stretch of river obstructed by a lot of downed trees and mostly in water chest to hip deep. I'll always remember that experience!

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Mike

Really nice! How large is your largest specimen?...

Marco Sr.

The larger ammonites are about 12-13". I will have to post the big ones on the mantle. :)

... I had to carry a 35 lb Eocene nautiloid a couple of miles in my back pack along a stretch of river obstructed by a lot of downed trees and mostly in water chest to hip deep. I'll always remember that experience!

:P Hard to forget those! I still remember running a rinky dink wheelbarrow through the desert with a 90lb Trogodesmoceras. :)Dedication.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Ha! Ha! I once did something similar with a big I use as a stone tbench in the garden. Wheeled it back to the jeep then thought 'hmmmm?...now I have to load it into the vehicle.' Spent an hour or so building a rock scaffold. We're all nuts.

I really like the drawer in your display table. However curious. How do you prevent the fossils from jiggling around? Is it on drawer rollers? I prefer prefer a drawer to my raised glass lid. I find if I put a velvet like cloth underneath then everything stays where it is.

Fortunately no tremors or earthquakes in our area.

Preferences

No earthquakes here either *whew*.

I also lined the drawer with felt. The fossils are heavy enough to stay in place pretty well. When the table takes a good bump, I might have to adjust some name tags. It's powdercoated metal so it's very heavy & rarely moves. The drawer itself is metal sliding on metal. There is a thick pad on the rails. It's a smooth slide, no rollers needed.

I have 3 smaller displays that open like yours. I like them too, but it seems some people think those are an invitation to open and touch. Until I point out how to get into the table, most people don't see it. (I pulled it out a tad for the pic I posted. It's flush when closed).

The collection in your table is beautiful!! I never get tired of this! Happy Hunting !!!

I had a message about my 'museum' cases.

These are stained pine. Sides angled. Then boards put inside to created 'steps' to stager the specimens in levels. No need to be exact as inside then draped with cloth. The tops are plexiglass placed in grooves routed out and can be simply lifted off. If you don't have a router, then little plastic corner picture holders would work fine.

Note...much harder to cut plexiglass precisely than to cut the wood. I have my cases the same dimensions so I had to keep cutting plexiglass to fit. If I was to do it again I would make the cases to fit pre purchased sheets of glass or plexiglass.

post-12698-0-29178500-1382496146_thumb.jpg

post-12698-0-17453500-1382496313_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow some very impressive stuff. Here is my display table. Almost entirely from Jacksonville Fl area , a few teeth from VA and a few teeth and points from NJ