wfrr

Austin Chalk/Eagle Ford Basal Atco fish conglomerate zone of North Texas

On a recent outing with my 7 year old grandaughter we were at a construction site where the the basal Atco was once exposed at ground level. They had bulldozed it all and this interesting slab of flagstone was laying there. The fish conglomerate was laying about here and there where you could pick it up by the hand full and sift it for tiny teeth. She with her short close to the ground stance and fresh eyes could really spot those itty bitty teeth too.

post-9617-0-65815100-1392833353_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-14268000-1392833366_thumb.jpg

Construction exposes it then buries it. This site had produced a number of smaller sharks teeth and some nice ptychodus. I found one of my coniasur verts there. Now I guess it's pretty much done...but we will see!!

Edited by wfrr

I've got a backyard full of it, nothing that large though. I'd have loved to have gotten that one home and I even thought about asking them to load it in my truck with some of their equipment...but alas it's gone. I imagine it got buried.

Edited by wfrr

That is a very cool slab; looks like an overturned 'positive', what with the raised worm tracks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice. It is a shame most of those construction sites around there are buried up now, isn't it? But I suppose what construction giveth...

I figured they were wave ripples

Oh, they definitely are! I refer to what look like 'worm tracks/burrows', raised here and there on the rippled surface.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!