Ammonite Found On Mars By Msl In Sol551

open768

Without the ability to imagine, to think and to explore thoughts openly most scientific proof would not exist. The ability to discuss a topic openly without bias is what leads to discovery of truth as all ideas are just that till proven valid or invalid. To say something is imposable is to stop free thought and IMO this should never be done as I do enjoy thinking and using my imagination of which has lead me to many self discoveries and completion of many an artistic item. I can not at this time make a sonic wave engine capable of vibrating the molecules of solid object thus making them light as air, yet I can not disprove that one could be made. Remember all conversation is an argument and it is how we react to what is stated that determines the tone of that argument. Long story short can't we all just get along and take each persons opinion as that no matter how wrong it is, or is free thought and speech a denounced theory? WOW that was wordy lol so serious, we should be nice to each other as there are so many bad things going on in this world and none of us knows what our last words to someone will be. I my self am doing what I can to improve my life and do the same for those I interact with just by being a bit more understanding. Having open heart surgery at 42yo has a way of changing a person.... I hope I have not offended anyone or broken the forum reles but I did not want things getting out of hand, I respect all here and appreciate the help that has been given and one day I may even be able to help one of you with something, may all your days be filled with wounder.

No, 'terrene' is the technical term for an Earth-origin meteorite, wherever it might be found, even if it fell back to Earth. We just haven't found any yet.

OK, it might have been clearer if I could tell whether it was a noun or adjective (or is it both?)..

Without the ability to imagine, to think and to explore thoughts openly most scientific proof would not exist. The ability to discuss a topic openly without bias is what leads to discovery of truth as all ideas are just that till proven valid or invalid...

Indeed, where would we be without this most human ability?

Topics like this one allow us to explore possibilities, and the ensuing discussions often bring fascinating tidbits of peripheral facts to light. Time and again, however, those who would bring their 'discoveries' to our attention do so with a personal agenda; the game is up when the tactical arguments invariably begin to beat straw-men, offer artificially-limited and leading choices, or start to suggest either a scientific community blinded by dogma or an outright cover-up. It has then ceased to be a stimulating scientific discussion, for such cannot be anchored on one side by belief alone. There are numerous forums on the internet founded to host such assertions, but The Fossil Forum is simply not one of them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OK, it might have been clearer if I could tell whether it was a noun or adjective (or is it both?)..

It's an adjective. "Terrene meteorites" means "meteorites from Earth", just as "Martian meteorites" is "meteorites from Mars".

Sorry for any confusion! :) I know it's a term that isn't commonly used.

It's an adjective. "Terrene meteorites" means "meteorites from Earth", just as "Martian meteorites" is "meteorites from Mars".

Sorry for any confusion! :) I know it's a term that isn't commonly used.

No, the confusion is my fault for not looking up Google/Wikipedia to begin with, but I always thought 'Terran' was the Earth equivalent of 'Martian', 'Jovian', 'Venusian', etc. I'll go look that up now! I could imagine 'terrene' being a noun for specifically a meteorite originating on Earth, but I'll find out...

No, the confusion is my fault for not looking up Google/Wikipedia to begin with, but I always thought 'Terran' was the Earth equivalent of 'Martian', 'Jovian', 'Venusian', etc. I'll go look that up now! I could imagine 'terrene' being a noun for specifically a meteorite originating on Earth, but I'll find out...

"Terran" is what you see most of the time. Truth to tell, I've only seen "terrene" in meteoritics, and not that often. ;)

BTW do you listen to Bob Dylan, perchance? ;)

I know some of his music, and I enjoy it when I hear it, but I don't often put it on. I have rather eclectic tastes in music. :D

Well something about Dylan is the only thing that comes up in Wikipedia when I enter 'terrene', so I think I'll go with 'Terran' (adj.) until I'm told otherwise! ;) Maybe they should call it a 'territe' (noun)... Who knows what the thinking is..

Well something about Dylan is the only thing that comes up in Wikipedia when I enter 'terrene', so I think I'll go with 'Terran' (adj.) until I'm told otherwise! ;) Maybe they should call it a 'territe' (noun)... Who knows what the thinking is..

If you Google "terrene definition" it comes up as a variation on "pertaining to Earth, of Earth" in several online dictionaries. ;) So, it's basically a synonym for the more commonly-used "Terran". I'm not sure why all of the references to Earth-origin meteorites I've seen (not many) have used "terrene" instead. It may be a technical term in the field. I'm a moderately-self-educated amateur in that field, not an expert! :D

In any other subject, I also use "Terran", just because it's more readily understood. ;)

I have no idea why Wikipedia would have an entry for Bob Dylan for it.

I figured it had to be an obscure term, otherwise I might have heard of it before you used it!

"Terrene meteorite" is indeed the term usually used in meteoritics.... also "territe". I mentioned at the link belwo the investigations going on to establish whether the meteorite NWA5400 and its pairings was in fact terrene:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45299-meteorites/page-2

The possibility still remains (based on oxygen isotope ratios), although the dating suggests it didn't arise from the postulated Theia Impact.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

That reminds me: I never did post meteorite photos to that thread. I'll have to do that sometime soon.

"Terrene meteorite" is indeed the term usually used in meteoritics.... also "territe". I mentioned at the link belwo the investigations going on to establish whether the meteorite NWA5400 and its pairings was in fact terrene:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45299-meteorites/page-2

The possibility still remains (based on oxygen isotope ratios), although the dating suggests it didn't arise from the postulated Theia Impact.

It's certainly an interesting meteorite! I will be very interested to hear what the results of the investigations are.

So I was on the right track with 'territe'... But I still wonder what is the rationale of using 'terrene' instead of 'terran'.

I think it comes from the 1930’s when Latin-derived words were in vogue (terrenus = of earth) and there was speculation (by Dirac, Rojansky et al.) about the possibility that deep space might contain atoms in which the conventional roles of the positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons were reversed. It was postulated that such atoms would consist of negatively charged nuclei surrounded by positrons and that they could form matter (including meteorites) which would be physically indistinguishable from ordinary matter.

It was further postulated that a meteorite composed of such matter – if it were to strike the Earth and come into contact with conventional matter – would be self-annihilating in a violent explosion that left a crater, but no trace of the meteorite. They were struggling to understand why there were so many large Earth craters with no meteoritic residue apart from melted glass and other earthly melt-products. The proponents of this theory adopted the terms “terrene” and “contraterrene” to distinguish matter composed from the two types of atoms. You might perhaps think of them as “matter” and “anti-matter”, for want of a simple way to explain it.

As the science of meteoritics advanced and such notions were largely abandoned, I think the term “terrene” stuck, but took on a different meaning.

• I found this Informative 2

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]