Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

If someone told me that the odds that one of my siblings or I would be impaled was 1 in 77, I would say that is way too high.:Sweating: I didn't think about them jumping like the wood ducks and the others I've seen on nature shows. Thanks for the article!

• Enjoyed 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

7 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Found this article; sorry picture is squished!

Unsquished it. ;)

1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

If someone told me that the odds that one of my siblings or I would be impaled was 1 in 77, I would say that is way too high.:Sweating: 

Agreed. But a 98.57% survival rate after plummeting from a high tree does make the odds "sound" a bit better. Likely, the loss rate to predators if the nest were made on the ground would be higher. Then again if ALL 77 goslings made it to maturity and reproduced with similar fecundity, we'd all be neck deep in Canada Geese in no time (I know it seems that way sometimes already). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, digit said:

Then again if ALL 77 goslings

I think it was 77 nests with an average of 5 goslings per nest. So 1 out of 385 for the death rate!!!!!!! Not bad! I am sure nest robbing on the ground would be much higher than this, though coon do climb that high. 

As a side note, I placed a game camera where the babies will land in the creek. IF I capture an image, I will post it.

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I think it was 77 nests with an average of 5 goslings per nest. So 1 out of 385 for the death rate!!!!!!! Not bad! I am sure nest robbing on the ground would be much higher than this, though coon do climb that high. 

As a side note, I placed a game camera where the babies will land in the creek. IF I capture an image, I will post it.

Yeah, I saw one ground nest get completely destroyed this year, although it was not in a usual (good) spot.  We seem to have lost a lot more goslings than usual this year, most at about a week of age. I think the parents are getting too comfortable with the people in the development feeding them (especially me) and are letting their guard down. 

• Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Anole looking to impress...

DSC_7282ac.thumb.jpg.ce8244eaf3aadf2cac3d4df1818f812d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

59 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Anole looking to impress...

DSC_7282ac.thumb.jpg.ce8244eaf3aadf2cac3d4df1818f812d.jpg

He wins!  I can't do that.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

32 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

He wins!  I can't do that.  

Take heart! Even without a showy throat pouch, you can at least rapidly bob your head up and down to impress the ladies.

• Enjoyed 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Tiny jumping spider (not sure which) hangs out on a daylily...

IMG_0822acs.thumb.jpg.bb37301edf3197aa5ebb34f21bf67946.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Does anyone recognize this critter? For scale, it's walking along a 9/16 inch mortar joint.

IMG_0840.thumb.jpg.c5b62ac14c196a75b5c17283f40c8ba6.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

58 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Does anyone recognize this critter? For scale, it's walking along a 9/16 inch mortar joint.

Given the head markings, I am leaning in favour of Photuris sp., or firefly as they are commonly called. It is a bit wider/blunter than how they usually appear, but it seems the best match to me. 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Looks like the American Carrion Beetle 

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.php?identification=American-Carrion-Beetle

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Looks more like a black firefly.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks all, definitely not the firefly that I was so familiar with in my youth. Of course, I then lived in a different part of SC. The common name ID of , "Black Firefly" seems apt. Thanks again.

Young geese on parade...

At this point in the season two families have merged into a group of four adults and seven young.

DSC_7326acz.thumb.jpg.748e7ce255acc7b0bb9df15666c2e5de.jpg

DSC_7342acz.thumb.jpg.75a7b1f3d4b19ab5e4602e15e095d80e.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

• 2 weeks later...

As I sat viewing the Fossil Forum on line, I couldn't help but feel I was being watched!!!

Is this a Grey Tree Frog??

20220613_215803-001.thumb.jpg.fe6373da42954fdc29155520a97b8923.jpg

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 3

Nice pictures!:)

Yes, this is a Grey Tree Frog! Congratulations - they are very hard to find. Rather secretive little guys, and excellent at camouflage. I've only seen 5 of them.

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

This night ? Nice fox !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quotes About Animal Deer 

Oh so true!! Today I morphed into someone I normally am not!

This afternoon, my dog named Chase was agitated as she peered out the window. I took a peek and saw two fawns munching away on my competition pumpkin plants! Chase was brought to the farm to help "CHASE" wildlife out of our gardens. She scores about a 1 out of 10 at the task! Never the less, I opened the front door and the dog bounded out, only to stop and relieve herself, not paying any attention to the deer. It gave me a moment to capture a few pictures before I screamed and scared them off. 

DSC_0028-001.JPG.7abc69abf931a5cf6b83e884ad337c87.JPG

DSC_0030-002.JPG.d927580454bc080ab02550aa69581429.JPG

DSC_0034-001.JPG.80df5f379ce5e455d843c7a6aeefd70e.JPG

DSC_0036-001.thumb.JPG.c1432b372f06fcb8576b5d63cee0d8f8.JPG

Anyone want to swap dogs??? 

• Enjoyed 4

I don't have award winning pumpkins (I'm barely able to grow tomatoes that the squirrels and horn worms don't beat me to) but I do manage well with hot peppers that none besides me but the birds seem to have a taste for. This last week I spotted a White-tailed Deer doe and a pair of spotted fawn walking through my wooded back yard just feet from my deck--and this in the middle of populated Gainesville. We chose our house well with a fossil-bearing creek running through the forested back yard. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

Working near the coast today. Saw a bunch of fiddler crabs crawling around some oysters. Normally they scatter when they see people but these ones were too busy foraging.

crabs3.jpg

• Enjoyed 5