Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

It's been some 20 years since Tammy and I visited Florida's panhandle (the Greedy part of Florida that robbed much of Alabama's coastline). :headscratch:

We took a trip through the Apalachicola National Forest today and did some hiking through some pine flatwoods and some swampier areas for a couple of hours. The goal was to spot one of Florida's carnivorous plants—the Yellow Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia flava, the only species of pitcher plant not endangered in the state. After a couple hours of hiking on a cool clear morning (the cold front had moved through overnight) we finally made it to the soggy habitat where the pitchers were located. I got a few photos and we hiked back to the car for a quick lunch. Consulting (and now fully understanding the trail map back at the parking area) I realized that there was an access road that should pass right through another section of appropriate habitat. We drove out to this spot after our snack and within 2 minutes (and less than 20 meters from where I had parked the car) I spotted more clusters of pitchers. Not long after that I spotted a nice boggy area loaded with multiple pitcher plants, each a veritable Medusa's head of pitcher tubes emanating from the central base of the plant. If I ever wish to go revisit these I'll be able to do so more efficiently and be able to devote more time searching the pine trees for the endangered Red-cockaded Woodpecker which occurs in isolated patches within the pine flatwoods.

Cheers.

-Ken

PA170916.jpg     PA170918.jpg     PA170904.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Very cool, were there signs that said, Please Do Not Feed The Plants? :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Many parks had ones disallowing feeding of the birds but seems they have no prohibitions about feeding the ravenous plants. :o

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

An old photo, and a few new ones... 

The first is the old photo, it is of the testate amoeba Centropyxis aculeata. Testate amoebas are a little known group of protists - unlike the naked amoebas, the animal builds a large "shell" around them. They vary quite a bit in composition; but mainly they are made of either sand grains, organic particulate, or silica the amoeba secretes itself. For anyone who is interested in these microscopic creatures, this website has excellent pictures and topics relating to identification: https://www.arcella.nl

328657450_Amoebadepth.thumb.jpg.ba1d81e565e9d68803c1fb8966fa429e.jpg

And now for the new ones. The pictures below are of a species of fish spider, Dolomedes tenebrosus. This is one of the few species of fishing spider that are often found away from bodies of water. It is distinguished from other species by the light area between two dark stripes that run from the eyes to the pedipalps, the rather indistinct "W" marks on the abdomen, and the incomplete stripe that goes through the middle of the carapace. Below are two pictures of it, first from above, and then looking directly at it. 

3.thumb.jpg.69f32f4835c95f6ff7e6324ded7b1cf2.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.8eb86535ff701e7dabf9275025e1766d.jpg

This last picture is also of the spider. It is my best picture of it, it shows the spider's carapace and part of the legs. 

7.thumb.jpg.b9c96088625d3baabdd0eef0c0d54dfb.jpg

Thanks for reading! :)

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 4

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Very nice! I particularly like the "prey's last view" vantage point of the last image. The only place I've seen fishing spiders is on tree trunks just above the waterline while hiking through the Fakahatchee Swamp searching for Ghost Orchids to photograph. Cool and just creepy enough for a Halloween month.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I went fossil hunting this weekend,  what I found was the vibrant colours of autumn, make for beautiful picture. 

I think this picture is my best find of the day.

IMG_20211016_112143.thumb.jpg.f61e96fef5a9bc32d63497ca8d7469c5.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

3 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

I think this picture is my best find of the day.

Even not knowing what fossils you came away with, I'd venture to say you are correct and this was a spectacular trip-maker! Lovely range of colors.

Cheers.

-Ken

Tammy and I spent some days earlier this week in the Florida panhandle. We went to St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge which we had heard was a great place to see migratory birds in autumn. We had a cool front come through which made for pleasant temps in the morning and we hoped would make for good birding but somehow the birds weren't informed as they were remarkable in their absence. There were a number of Monarch Butterflies (Danaus plexippus) passing through on their way to Mexico and the butterflies outnumbered the birds 10 to 1. :o

We had a few other spots to check including Bald Point State Park which was a good candidate for spotting some shorebirds. The only other folks we saw on the beach were a couple of retired volunteers doing a beach survey for Atlantic Horseshoe Crabs (Limulus polyphemus) as it was a high tide on a full moon day. We walked the beach a little and spotted some shorebirds running up and down the beach stopping to dig in the sand for a tasty snack. We were able to add four new species to our life-list. There were two smaller species--one with more brownish plumage and bright orange legs, Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres), and a more grayish plumed one with black legs, Sanderling (Caidris alba).

The Ruddy Turnstones would often run down the beach stop at a spot to dig down into the sand looking for sand fleas or some other species of invertebrate. I spotted one probing a bit of sponge that had washed onshore and it managed to pluck out a tiny gastropod.

IMG_4003.jpg     IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg     IMG_3940.jpg     IMG_3940X.jpg

The little Sanderlings were also running about at top speed so fast that you couldn't see their tiny legs which were a blur. Then, based on some sense, they would stop and plunge their beaks into the sand. Occasionally, they seemed to locate something but all I could ever see was a mouth full of sand--they must eat an awful lot of sand in their diet. You wouldn't think there would be much territorial disputes along an open beach but two of these ruffled their feathers and lowered their heads trying to intimidate each other. One made its point and chased the other off a ways down the beach where they both took up the search for sandy vittles again.

IMG_3807.jpg     IMG_4126.jpg     IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg     IMG_4247.jpg

The largest bird in the group was a Willet (Tringa semipalmata) which was mostly grayish with a long stout black beak. Oddly, this larger bird was the most spooky. It took some time before this one acclimated to my presence and stopped scurrying on down the beach as I slowly approached. After about 10 minutes it seemed to have decided I was just a curiosity that posed no danger and it probed the sand without paying any attention to me.

IMG_4091.jpg     IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg     IMG_4098.jpg

The final species in the group took the longest to identify. There was just the single individual which was nearly as large as the Willet and also had grayish-brown plumage but a shorter and more stout beak. It would have been easier to ID if it was a breeding male as they display the namesake coloration that gives the Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola) its name. This one kept its distance and only allowed a grabshot from a distance.

IMG_4253.jpg

Always nice to become familiar with a few more species of birds that can be seen within a few hours of home.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 7

"The Moon a phantom rose..."

DSC_7005acz.thumb.jpg.cd7f6288b23dd4e6002cef24b8f12a03.jpg

I've posted this video before; even if you have already listened, you will be better for hearing it again.

• Enjoyed 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I almost stepped on this fellow this AM. He was at the edge of the road in propinquity to one of the feeder creeks to the lake. He patiently waited for me to jog back to the house to grab a camera. The critter is about two+ feet in length. The defensive posture noted was simply to freeze. After a photo session, I did poke the creature and it rapidly slithered into a nearby culvert. No other behavior was noted beyond a great deal of tongue "smelling." I assume this was to assess the nature of the odd creature hovering around it.

I mis-IDed this animal, both at initial jumping back, and after a couple minutes closely observing it. What do you believe it to be? We are in the sandhills of mid-state SC, if that helps. Please post your opinions below and I will later reveal my ultimate conclusion.

DSC_5074acz.thumb.jpg.c0b36d6f5bf7d1be3896f28532635792.jpg

DSC_5090acsp.thumb.jpg.d9356742b7ccf4385484a5879cf02e1f.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice photos, must have made your morning a bit more exciting. Is it a copperhead? Agkistrodon contortrix?

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

My best guess too, Copperhead. Sort of a rattlesnake without a rattle. Thick-bodied snakes with wide heads get my attention. Fortunately all similar poisonous snakes in the west have rattles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_copperhead

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

21 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

copperhead? Agkistrodon contortrix?

17 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

My best guess too,

You are both in the right ballpark...errr...snakepit. However, this critter's head is kind of dirty gray, not the distinctive coppery color that gives that snake its name. In addition, I judge this a young snake (size and distinct markings); with a young copperhead we should see a blue tail tip! Copperheads are (subjectively) "fatter." They are also as mean as. well, snakes! This creature was not aggressive. The markings, however, do look very copperheady.  

I foolishly judged this to be a non-venomous, Northern Water Snake, Nerodia sipedon. Why? Well, it's the most common snake I see. We are near water. They are kind of marked like that. I'm a careless idiot. I was clearly wrong.

Edited by snolly50

I believe the handsome crawler above to be the first cousin of the copperhead, the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin, Agkistrodon piscivorus. Older Cottonmouths get considerably fatter and their markings/coloration fade to a grayish-black. My location in SC is probably the Northern extent of the Cottonmouth's range. It being more common in the coastal region of SC. As I posted, I initially believed this critter was a harmless Northern Water Snake (Harmless in terms of venom, they will bite). I could not see the animals eyes well enough to spot the cat's eye indicator. When I processed the pictures, finally a blow-up answered the question and corrected my folly.

Perhaps it is actually a Copperhead with a dull pate and no colorful embellishment of the tail tip; however, I think Cottonmouth the most fitting label. 

DSC_5091acsp.thumb.jpg.7764e0ea60288503fb0ceea5e49893aa.jpg 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

Taking advantage of the cooler weather that came in behind a few days of heavy rain to get out in the yard and do some weeding. Came across this odd bug I'd not seen before so I brought it into the house to photograph it in order to identify it. Pretty cool looking proboscis folded down but ready for action. This little creepy crawly (around 3 cm or so) ambled onto my fingers for a while before I could get it re-staged back on the green leaf on which I found it. After looking up what it was online I'm glad I treated it rather gently--it's a Wheel Bug, Arilus cristatus, a member of the assassin bug family. :oO: :P

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/wheel_bug.htm

Cheers.

-Ken

PA301106.jpg     PA301109.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Selene hides her face...

DSC_7052acok.thumb.jpg.0e304f4203e01d6d2f3668d36537bb71.jpg

DSC_7090acn.thumb.jpg.d0cfadbbd1bff961822ffa068c597cd8.jpg

DSC_7123acn.thumb.jpg.bcf0f63be6289c23bcce85b65034089b.jpg

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

Autumn detritus....

DSC_5105acz.thumb.jpg.6f8f718c9e28c87673b33e26e630ffe5.jpg

DSC_5108acz.thumb.jpg.a24dca256150b5904c1f2beb1fa44366.jpg

DSC_5111acz.thumb.jpg.b60c5b57145e29d38618d04c1b35ab1c.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

On a day off from Fossil Hunting, found this hanging on a tree outside my front door.  A little searching identified the Bagworn moth.

IMG_2663.thumb.JPEG.db4eec7cd250a9a897611d39fa458c88.JPEG

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IN981

Eggs

Shortly after mating, the female lays a large egg clutch (500-1,000 eggs) inside of her pupal case enclosed within her bag. The eggs are smooth and cylindrical in shape and laid in a mass that is covered in a waxy, tuft-like layer (Peterson 1969). Bagworm eggs will overwinter.

Unfortunately for this clutch of Bagworm babies,  my spouse decided to take preemptive action....Definitely learned something new.

IMG_2671.thumb.JPEG.e9519caf53a18b06c7ec1df15cf0b1ac.JPEG

• Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I love seeing everyone's nature photos.  I haven't been able to get out for a fossil hunt for awhile but did head out to the Great Smoky Mountains with my wife last week where she did what she does best.  Capture great wildlife photos.  I act as her driver, spotter and all around sherpa while she creates wonderful photo memories.  Here are few elk captured at the entrance to the park.

_88A7537.jpg

_88A7765-Edit.jpg

_88A8278.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Gulf Fritillary, Dione vanillae visits Lantana flowers...

DSC_5152accsp.thumb.jpg.f34501a44bbad07fa73395f688777ca6.jpg 

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, PODIGGER said:

I love seeing everyone's nature photos.  I haven't been able to get out for a fossil hunt for awhile but did head out to the Great Smoky Mountains with my wife last week where she did what she does best.  Capture great wildlife photos.  I act as her driver, spotter and all around sherpa while she creates wonderful photo memories.  Here are few elk captured at the entrance to the park.

I fully understand, in my case I am the photographer and my wife the sherpa. These are superb photographs in National Geographic quality. WOW

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

On 11/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, PODIGGER said:

where she did what she does best.  Capture great wildlife photos.

I took a peek at her photographs on line and they were outstanding. Does she have a studio open to the public? I notice she is part of a Lakewood Ranch Photo club. My son lives close by and my wife and I love to visit such studios.

Edited by minnbuckeye