Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

Is this Colchicum or meadow saffron? It is not widely planted in my area possibly a hardiness issue. It sure reminds one of spring though!!!!!!!

Pelicans at dawn over the Atlantic...

DSC_4691acz.thumb.jpg.53982fe74cef1c11c85689094126e020.jpg

DSC_4693acz.thumb.jpg.784824acfa4617f8f2c0250b1507fdb7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Here is a nice little Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer), a type of treefrog. This species is one of the first frogs to wake from hibernation in the spring - you can hear their loud calls all through the night during breeding season. They are also one of our smallest frogs, generally ranging from 2 to 3 centimeters in length. Below are pictures of it first on a paper birch, and then of it posing for me. :P In reality he was an uncooperative subject, I was lucky for him to be still for five seconds. 

Thanks for reading! :)

204983339_springpeeper3.thumb.jpg.6e7d5f3d79ff19fc7168a0072b7b6818.jpg296231255_springpeeper2.thumb.jpg.f87f9debe8e8d23fc19b298721f80280.jpg

1877129398_springpeeper7.thumb.jpg.8e6dac6af527b3e2cbf78e3770116421.jpg

1596748169_springpeeper11.thumb.jpg.4c22c09bb2b8b22e00594dae7814130b.jpg

1436724985_springpeeper12.thumb.jpg.3dce6ffb772021d49c63666ac02c5f71.jpg

Edited by Mainefossils
  • Enjoyed 5

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

The toothsome snollywife is among the  most benign and kindest of individuals. Her warm-hearted regard and convivial warmth is extended to all creatures, great and small. Her charitable bent envelops all; from those that creep and crawl to the most regal of beasts. There is one notable exception, a shambling, hairy, ape-like critter; who often receives her uncharacteristic expressions of displeasure. "Do you know how many carbs are in that?!?" "You're getting another beer?!?"

On the main, to the rest of the world, she is all sweetness and light. It then was no surprise to see her reaction to discovering hapless, stranded starfish, during the latest sojourn on SC's lovely coast. It was not a mass stranding as sometimes occurs with hundreds of starfish plied atop one another. Rather it was the sad discovery of individuals left at the high tide mark spaced perhaps every thirty or so feet along the beach. The tender-hearted snollywife not content to leave the wriggling stars to the baking sun or the rapacious gulls; spent a considerable amount of time chunking them back into the briny depths. Clever snolly wryly opined; "When you go to your final reward, your heavenly crown will not be adorned with stars of the sky; but with those of the sea."

IMG_0368ac.thumb.jpg.c0361d02a84cd9528878e9353fe140ae.jpg

IMG_0365a.thumb.jpg.e1fe245789f6b5e174cfaaee3d2ed919.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@PFOOLEY A wonderful image of unusual and difficult to capture crepuscular rays.

• Thank You 1

Hi,

Marvelous !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Last evening at my Nephew's yard. Male and female Bald Eagles keeping watch over our cars and the lake. Last image is noon day sun behind her. 

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Very beautiful birds. How do you distinguish between male and female ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree, very nice pictures @Bob Saunders

@Coco, it is very difficult to differentiate between the genders in Bald Eagles. Females are generally larger that males, but it is hard to see in pictures or in the field. It is easier to see the differences when they are flying, but I don't think it would be possible to identify male vs. female in this picture. During the breeding season, two eagles in the same area are usually a mating pair - they establish a territory during this time. This pair is not necessarily of opposite genders - during this time migration is occurring, during which bald eagles are often seen in accompaniment of different individuals. 

Hope this helps! :)

• I found this Informative 4

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Hi,

Merci @Mainefossils  I love birds of prey, and this is my favorite.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------

Un Greg...

This isn't the greatest pic I've ever taken, but considering the moon was almost directly overhead @ 8:49 am, my tripod wouldn't have worked very well. Taken with a Nikon D3400 using a 300mm telephoto lens, holding the camera as still as possible. Daylight moon shot.  :ironic:

DSC_0002.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

8 hours ago, daves64 said:

Daylight moon shot.  

I like that image, it captures how the daytime Moon is perceived by our eye.  

Last weekend, I talked my wife into driving up to the North Shore of Lake Superior for the purpose of enjoying the Autumn explosion of color. My underlying goal was to get permission to collect some Mary Ellen Jasper while up here. This is a shot of the mine.

DSC_0795-001.JPG

Here are some shots of the shoreline of Lake Superior.

DSC_0741-001.JPG

DSC_0701-001.JPG

DSC_0719-001.JPG

I had to include a few with a lighthouse even though this is in the "nature photography" topic.

DSC_0704-001.JPG

DSC_0738-001.JPG

Many rivers cascade down to the lake in a series of waterfalls. This falls required quite a hike to get to but is typical of what one sees on this scenic drive.. Most are closer to the highway and easily accessible.

DSC_0763-001.JPG

Wildlife surprisingly was hard to come by on this trip but mushrooms were not.

DSC_0784-001.JPG

DSC_0756-001.JPG

DSC_0730-001.JPG

Autumn's palate of color was disappointing due to the extreme drought that occurred in this region. Inland, some more typical fall foliage occurred around moist areas like lakes, ponds, and swamps.

DSC_0786-001.JPG

DSC_0790-001.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

The first two look to be Turkey Tail mushrooms much touted for antioxidant properties and immunity boosting benefits. No idea if there is science backing these particular claims (usually not) though many interesting bioactive compounds are known to come from fungi.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

I'm enjoying the images of the various fungi posted above. What a variety.

That time of year when the Pentatomoidea make their presence known. This one shows off its ventral side while on the window. 

4C38F6A7-5FBC-4E25-8794-EAB487BE547E_1_201_a.jpeg

D1917DBB-4D91-411B-ACC3-BF2435FCAA31_1_201_a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Snolly and the snollywife share a birthday. Actually she brags that she was his 5th birthday gift. In partial celebration, we visited the zoo. With the viral menace, this was the first excursion there in over a year. It was pleasant to be there, strolling the lushly planted pathways.

Grizzley's snout, resting on his back, he could bearly stay awake...

DSC_6639acspz.thumb.jpg.dbe94178c2b587ec1d5cda67ea64b37b.jpg

Portrait of a stripy guy on the prowl...

DSC_6667acsp.thumb.jpg.cbe6b01a1347de32c405706d01802ef3.jpg

Komodo dragon, scaly and open for business...

DSC_6678acsp.thumb.jpg.380c23e3929cb5e218cf923c9cdb9956.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Snolly and the snollywife share a birthday. Actually she brags that she was his 5th birthday gift.

We’re you aware at the time of your special 5th birthday gift?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

aware at the time of your special 5th birthday gift?

Nope, a long and convoluted journey to its delivery.

• Enjoyed 1

Went on another bike tour today and the weather was so clear that I decided to take this shot of the Alps across the Lake of Constance from the town of Hagnau. Austria to the left and Switzerland on the right.

1511450517_Hagnau.Alpen.thumb.jpg.cdf2e8545e30a61e6f4d475590c11f75.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/