Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

I love it when they come to the front steps to say Hello... gopher tortoise.

Gopher5.JPG.2dd96aa7150025e7fe331f0792f6ab15.JPGIMG_1156.thumb.JPEG.b7c7a2a7d42478d2dff8a4b7eaf323b2.JPEG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Gopher? Go figure....:P

Out helping a friend at a dig site and spotted this Gopher Tortoise muching on some vegetation. Always nice to see a keystone species doing well.

Cheers.

-Ken

P8019810.jpg

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, digit said:

Gopher? Go figure....:P

Out helping a friend at a dig site and spotted this Gopher Tortoise muching on some vegetation. Always nice to see a keystone species doing well.

These 2 could be twins!!! Same eyes, same smile

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Late afternoon of yesterday, an intense yet brief downpour appeared. As the deluge ebbed in intensity, the snollywife espied a rainbow over the lake. She seized her infernal iPhone and snapped a couple pictures. At this point snolly, aroused from his otiose state, arrived to find the snollywfe reviewing the images on her phone's screen. Distracted, she had not noticed that he crafty, luminous arc had drifted from the lake and now had the temerity to blaze in the air, hovering not 30 feet from the back entry to Palatial snolly Manor! The rapier sharp snolly mind seized the opportunity and cracked off the following images illustrating the singular propinquity of the ephemeral, multi-hued apparition. 

2120811242_821rainbow1a.thumb.jpg.6f6e4abbf76ceb4c3814820e627ff2c9.jpg

88256419_821rainbow2a.thumb.jpg.edcc59d5e66605011dd0f8848c800ada.jpg

1410442539_821rainbow3a.thumb.jpg.503c0a3eb5ce4451116688a30368280b.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Amazing rainbow. One could seemingly reach out and touch it!!! Time to fill the hummingbird feeder.

Edited by minnbuckeye

11 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Time to fill the hummingbird feeder.

Those buzzing rascals started really sucking it back early this year. It is usually closer to September before they start the CONSTANT, acrobatic competition to see who is feeder boss. In the Spring and most of Summer they appear to "take turns" with a little more courtesy. Then as Fall approaches, the battle royal begins. This year they have already been hard at it for a couple of weeks. I don't think they have received an early environmental cue, at least not temperature wise, it's been hot as the dickens here. They are a very pleasant distraction, visible from the breakfast area or back screen room. The small effort to attract them is well rewarded.

DSC_4357acz.thumb.jpg.7d67ca3b010c0fa8aa519505ae1d0f30.jpg

Edited by snolly50
  • Enjoyed 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We're just back from a couple weeks in the field helping a friend with her research. Refilled our hummer feeder and looking forward to seeing our resident aerial acrobats. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

A praying mantis, Stagmomantis carolina, the State insect of South Carolina; steadfastly stands guard on the uppermost step at Palatial snolly Manor.... 

DSC_4387acz.thumb.jpg.a11cbaf50b0124af040430f9cccbe088.jpg

DSC_6385acz.thumb.jpg.d2cc027e9dcae09f4458a6f9f148d503.jpg

Edited by snolly50
  • Enjoyed 3

I took a quick stroll through the woods this weekend and came across a brightly colored male Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina). Also saw an Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus) sunning itself.

box turtle.jpg

fence lizard.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

Recently took a trip to South Dakota:

image0.thumb.jpeg.68c95f7dc7bc33d403138bc976112c16.jpeg

image2.thumb.jpeg.dda172e8ba98f2369c80a721ea94cf64.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.b2c7e97050c77fb531b1bd3f5cb99e18.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.be36f3f821a0bdf7c5e921e3db97d559.jpeg

Visited the Nebraska Sandhills for work the first time a couple weeks back.  One of the quietest places I have been.

503281066_image0(1).thumb.jpeg.4d010f1772750de1312294eec03d3c07.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

• 3 weeks later...

Viewing the feeder from the breakfast room the snollywife exclaimed, "that's a tiny hummingbird! At that, snolly in the screen room, turned to view the nearby feeder. "Yikes, that is a small one," he thought. Curiosity peeked, he rose and opened the door for a view not obstructed by window screen. No hummingbird, but a wonderful mimic; a prime example of convergent evolution - the Hummingbird Moth, Hemaris thysbe! That rascal was hovering and utilizing its long proboscis to swipe nectar from the bird's larder. Unable to resist snolly attempted a few photos. The early morning light was too dim and the critter's movements too, well, hummingbird-like to enable a crisp capture; but below is at least an effort. Interestingly, the hummingbirds, who vigorously defend the feeder from their own ilk, appeared loathe to approach this smaller invader. Uncharacteristically, a pair of birds hovered, observing from about 20 feet away, making no move to oust the usurper. 

There is always something in the natural world to evoke Wonder.

DSC_4530acsp.thumb.jpg.e2156e951debee4a904c862bb00508e2.jpg  

• Enjoyed 4

Very cool! Nice use (intentional or not) of the diffuse white background to provide contrast around the little hummer-wannabe.

Cheers.

-Ken

I do quite a bit of nature photography, but, being a fossil forum, I did not pay that much attention to this thread. I have now reviewed most of it, and am quite impressed by many of our member's photography skills. Nice job! :)

I thought I would add a few I have taken. The one below was shot quite recently - I found the insect in the exact position you see it now, and thought it was worth a few pictures. Below are two images of it, with different lightings. I like the first because of the clarity of the shot, but the second because of the colors and general contrast of the blue with the dark background. 

For anyone who is interested, this insect belongs to a group of colorful wasps alternatively known as Cuckoo Wasps, Jewel Wasps, Emerald Wasps, or Ruby Wasps. The specimen below is the species Chyrsis patoni, and is rather common around here. I think that you can understand where the common names come from pretty well! ;)

615364948_cuckoowasp1.thumb.jpg.159568087091e99a1e27a00e7f35cdf7.jpg

1834114899_cuckoowasp2.thumb.jpg.45d4d62107b109c1b11116f75469407c.jpg

Edited by Mainefossils
  • Enjoyed 6

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

"Here be Dragons..."

DSC_4574acsp.thumb.jpg.980663fc657a46ec30ea35c793b0d6ab.jpg

DSC_4586accsp.thumb.jpg.1b1b023d2e51dc38d4a647676da91ae6.jpg

Sun, clouds and water...

DSC_4581acz.thumb.jpg.6ccb57d71c5f9e3a2f0015cf3d280007.jpg

Edited by snolly50
  • Enjoyed 6

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

"Here be Dragons..."

You've trained them well.  :D

This afternoon, I used my phone to heel this beast.

0902211205~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Knowing her time has arrived, the goddess Carpo stretches out her arms; the grain ripens, the corn tassels and all creatures pause for a moment. Boreas will soon rule and sleep will come. The Earth like a petulant toddler struggles to stay awake; but Carpo's gentle, soothing will soon bring drowsiness and Winter, inevitably, will come. Sleep, not death, for Life will not surrender. Life merely rests, awaiting awakening. Ever has it been.

DSC_4566ac.thumb.jpg.6bf98b5bd659844863a271b40bd517ac.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Cooler weather has arrived and it is common for our hummingbirds to disappear at the FIRST sight of Autumn. So I thought I'd grab a few pictures this early morning before the fog lifts. They may be gone by morning. 

DSC_0504-002.thumb.JPG.cf6dee0da44fd620b7e8f662d06d4175.JPG  

DSC_0514-001.thumb.JPG.e4a9c62ace173c7a9e5420f27e4551d6.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Cooler weather has arrived and it is common for our hummingbirds to disappear at the FIRST sight of Autumn. So I thought I'd grab a few pictures this early morning before the fog lifts. They may be gone by morning. 

Not to worry, Mike.  I have prepared a place at my Father's banquet hall in the warm sunshine. I will care for your fine feathered friends until they return to you.

IMG_1658.thumb.JPEG.ccfb77dbd7c2da073581239f36ede46b.JPEG