North Sulphur River Trip

JarrodB

Mosasaur vertebrae found today at NSR.

post-19191-0-14935000-1443582648_thumb.jpg

post-19191-0-47954700-1443582732_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB

You'll need more images of your vertebra find to assist with an ID. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm having a hard time making this a mosasaur vertebra.

I'm only assuming Mosasaur because Mick Tune who has one of the largest collections from NSR that I know of including numerous verts from both species identified it as Mosasaur today. I appreciate all feedback. Thanks

Looks like fish to me... At first glance it looks like it has the form of a vertebra, but bone texture looks fishy. Be fun to see what others think.

Looks like fish to me... At first glance it looks like it has the form of a vertebra, but bone texture looks fishy. Be fun to see what others think.

Yes, the bone around is very dark black. It's big whatever it was lol.

Jerrod,

I found parts of a Tylosaurus, approx 13 verts along with other scattered jaw pieces and bones that some of the vert had gone through a lot of crush while others were normal. I believe yours is a crushed Mos. vert where the ball end has been eroded or snapped off. I have some other examples (worse) but they are in the black hole of moving boxes but dug through one and found this example wasn't what I was looking for but will have to do

Tom

post-3940-0-04750700-1443644566_thumb.jpg A black hole packing box contents

post-3940-0-60142200-1443644567_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-77763400-1443644566_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-54654700-1443644568_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-36003200-1443644569_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-03161800-1443644570_thumb.jpg Crushed vert

post-3940-0-39419700-1443644749_thumb.jpg One of the pretty good ones

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Jerrod,

I found parts of a Tylosaurus, approx 13 verts along with other scattered jaw pieces and bones that some of the vert had gone through a lot of crush while others were normal. I believe this a crushed Mos. vert where the ball end has been eroded or snapped off. I have some other examples (worse) but they are in the black hole of moving boxes but dug through one and found this example wasn't what I was looking for but will have to do

Tom

attachicon.gif002.JPG A black hole packing box contents

attachicon.gif004.JPG attachicon.gif003.JPG attachicon.gif005.JPG attachicon.gif006.JPG attachicon.gif008.JPG Crushed vert

attachicon.gif003 (8).JPG One of the pretty good ones

Great finds.

Jerrod,

I found parts of a Tylosaurus, approx 13 verts along with other scattered jaw pieces and bones that some of the vert had gone through a lot of crush while others were normal. I believe yours is a crushed Mos. vert where the ball end has been eroded or snapped off. I have some other examples (worse) but they are in the black hole of moving boxes but dug through one and found this example wasn't what I was looking for but will have to do

Tom

attachicon.gif002.JPG A black hole packing box contents

attachicon.gif004.JPG attachicon.gif003.JPG attachicon.gif005.JPG attachicon.gif006.JPG attachicon.gif008.JPG Crushed vert

attachicon.gif003 (8).JPG One of the pretty good ones

Was that all found at NSR?

Was that all found at NSR?

Yes, they all came from a feeder creek that flows into the Sulphur. I believe your find is a crushed Mos. vert, maybe from the same Mos. that I have part of. The creek is in the western portion of the Sulphur in the area you hunt.

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Yes, they all came from a feeder creek that flows into the Sulphur. I believe your find is a crushed Mos. vert, maybe from the same Mos. that I have part of. The creek is in the western portion of the Sulphur in the area you hunt.

Tom

I was hunting a couple of creeks in the same area. Could be. lol. We need to hookup and go together sometime.

I've seen crushed mosasaur vertebrae like Tom has mentioned. However, I'm fairly sure that Jarrod's find is not mosasaur. It has different structural characteristics than a crushed mosasaur vertebra. There are large matrix filled voids and a different bone texture. This looks more like a large, broken fish vertebra. I think I have the orientation matched in this composite image. Based on the images, I don't think it's mosasaur.

post-420-0-31240900-1443679117_thumb.jpg

And it doesn't appear to be crushed... I have a pic somewhere of a fish head and this is very similar in details. Haven't found it yet though.

It may be the base of a fish skull the way it is broken. There are many voids in those and are not as well documented. Let's all keep in mind that I am not expert in this field, so much as I am just interested. lol

If you are dead set on it being mosasaur, then it will not bother me, but my friend was told he had a Plesiosaur skull for years. Took one look at it and never knew how that opinion could be drawn. Had it checked with someone reputable and quickly confirmed fish. It looked nothing like what folks called it. I do think it is very interesting though.

I went to the river last weekend and found 3 mosasaur verts and a small jaw section. Found another piece to the Globidens to add to that collection.

I'm going Friday morning if anyone would like to meet up. I'm starting off hunting a large feeder creek and working my way to hunt the river.

I'm thinking it might be the back of a large fish braincase too. The only thing causing me to hesitate is that the bone texture isn't quite "fishy"....

• I found this Informative 2

After looking at the pic's that JohnJ posted I no longer think this is Mos. vert. What it is ?????? Interesting

Tom

Edited by Foshunter
  • I found this Informative 2

"Don't Tread On Me"

It is very different from my other vertebrae. Whatever it was it was big. Lol

I have a lot of plastron pieces found in the Sulphur from Protostega turtle, could this be a vert from it?????

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

I have a lot of plastron pieces found in the Sulphur from Protostega turtle, could this be a vert from it?????

Tom

Very could be. I can't seem to find any good examples online to compare it.

post-19191-0-69713200-1443618945_thumb.jpg

I thought it was Mosasaur at first but I'm not so sure now.post-19191-0-01610800-1443727903_thumb.jpgpost-19191-0-68023200-1443727926_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB