Coral or...? -- Oct. 18 Update: More (unrelated) specimens added!

icycatelf

Me again. I found another specimen on one of my usual walks. This distinct pattern has to be a fossil... right? It measures 5.5cm wide.

UJ9Trjz.jpg

Side 1

Mpq8PCr.jpg

Side 2

WbBOEdn.jpg

Close-up of texture (ignore the random cat hair ^^')

UPDATE: Found some more stuff today while down by the creek. I'm thinking the first (which measures 3.25cm wide) may be some type of coral. The second (about 3.15cm wide) might be an Artisia fossil, but I'm not sure. Any help?

7iK5Fpb.jpg

U7rGbPw.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

I don't know what it is...the polygons are too randomly shaped for coral, IMO.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't know what it is...the polygons are too randomly shaped for coral, IMO.

Maybe it's warped coral? lol

Or not. Hopefully someone else can help me ID it. Thanks for checking it out. :)

From the location and what the matrix looks like, I am going with Lepidodendron, a Pennsylvanian tree root.

Might be, though the pattern on mine looks more like pentagons and are clustered. Most of the Lepidodendron root images I'm seeing have a more diamond-like or rounded pattern with regular spacing.

It looks so much like this piece that I found in my local Upper Cretaceous. Not confident that it is the same, though, but the resemblance struck me. I can't find the original thread that I put this in and people commented on it.

post-4372-0-89885400-1445136925_thumb.jpg

The resemblance is evident. I have a thought.

Is possible to know a geological age for the specimen in question?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks so much like this piece that I found in my local Upper Cretaceous. Not confident that it is the same, though, but the resemblance struck me. I can't find the original thread that I put this in and people commented on it.

attachicon.gifDSC_0036 shr.jpg

It's possible. I do see some resemblance.

The resemblance is evident. I have a thought.

Is possible to know a geological age for the specimen in question?

I'm not certain of the exact age, though it's probably from the Pennsylvanian period (roughly 300 million years). Assuming it wasn't transported from elsewhere, anyway.

Edited by icycatelf

Maybe Howard is right ,and is a flattened outer cortex of Stigmaria ficoides with the root scars visible,somehow arranged in spiral rows. :zzzzscratchchin:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Maybe Howard is right ,and is a flattened outer cortex of Stigmaria ficoides with the root scars visible,somehow arranged in spiral rows. :zzzzscratchchin:

Who knows? All I know is that it doesn't quite look like any pictures I've seen of 'em.