Again, can't tell if this is a fossil

icycatelf

I found this on my usual walks yesterday. What caught my eye was the finger-like shape with what almost looks like pencil-drawn lines inside. Any ideas what it is?

9j3K1Mw.jpg

I couldn't get any good close-up pictures, but if you look closely, you can see what appear to me as thin calamite impressions, leading me to believe that these "drawn" lines might actually be the calamite's needle-like foliage (though I could be horribly wrong). Lines can be faintly be seen to the left of the finger-like shape, but I've circled the most-noticeable (to me, anyway) impression to the right here:

MbYpLaw.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

Could it be a cephalopod?

I don't think so. The spacing varies too much, which I've been told is uncommon for cephalopods. Plus, the segments don't stick up like I would expect a cephalopod fossil to. Like I said, the lines look almost like they were just drawn on with a pencil.

Edited by icycatelf

This is from Pennsylvanian sandstone from the Breathitt Formation which is not a true marine unit. Cephalopods would be restricted to true marine units like the Magoffin bed of the Pennsylvanian of Eastern Kentucky. My opinion it is not a fossil.

The pattern appears to continue in a layer under the surface:

post-423-0-47965300-1446325087_thumb.jpg

I'll bet that, if you remove the top layer, the pattern will prove to be ripple marks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Annularia (Calamites' leaves) would be more delicate than this.

Another thought might be that it represents a nonconformity.

This is from Pennsylvanian sandstone from the Breathitt Formation which is not a true marine unit. Cephalopods would be restricted to true marine units like the Magoffin bed of the Pennsylvanian of Eastern Kentucky. My opinion it is not a fossil.

Breathitt Formation?

Yeah, I strongly doubt that it's a fossil. Just posting for safe measure. :)

The pattern appears to continue in a layer under the surface:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

I'll bet that, if you remove the top layer, the pattern will prove to be ripple marks.

I noticed that, though I'm not sure if it's a continuation or just a coincidence that it's shaped that that. I have a feeling that I wouldn't do a good job at removing the layer, though. It would probably shatter into a billion pieces... ^^'

Annularia (Calamites' leaves) would be more delicate than this.

Another thought might be that it represents a nonconformity.

I had a feeling it wasn't calamite foliage since nearly none of the pictures looked similar, though there were a few odd ones here and there that looked slightly like it. But yeah, I definitely agree that it could be a nonconformity (that's what crossed my mind when I first saw it, but I didn't know the right word for it).

Edited by icycatelf

I'm with howard on this. Looks like staining along the lines in the sandstone

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/goky/pages/gokych07.htm

here is a link to "pennsylvanian geology in KY" from the KY Paleontology Society site Info on Breathitt Form and Magoffin memb.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks