What are your other hobbies?

Darktooth

This is one of my other hobbies, I have a small 28 litre nano marine reef tank. I've had larger tanks in the past but this one is easy for me to maintain and takes up only a small area.

post-20200-0-73422200-1466770080_thumb.png

post-20200-0-11555200-1466770107_thumb.png

• I found this Informative 1

I used to be a professional singer/songwriter and still keep my hand in there by giving the odd performance. Guitar is my main instrument. I also like reading, gardening, hiking, doing tours in the Alps and riding around on my bike.

Edited by Ludwigia
  • I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Scylla,

Yeah, I had to think about it for only a second before realizing that the FF was a hobby itself. I have had a lot of fun on this forum. It is great to see what others have found and where they have found it (the various trip reports). I don't spend enough time looking at the galleries. Some of the specimens people request ID's for have been very intriguing - enough to get me out of my chair and into my boxes of articles and books in search of an answer. The forum is a hobby that can take up much of an afternoon and you wouldn't realize how much time had past until you noticed your stomach is growling or the sun is setting.

As for other things I collect: still have all my baseball cards from the 70's (almost none close to mint condition) though I don't know what happened to my football cards; been collecting trading cards in general off and on since the 70's (Star Wars, science/nature-related series including several dinosaur sets, various oddball cards from cereal and other products and trade shows); various natural history books.

I guess you could say I collect technical paleo articles/journal issues along with some mainstream articles/magazines - a lot of photocopying and PDF acquiring - though I am behind as far as what I should have to keep up with the published research at some level. I read the occasional novel (and every Spenser novel by the late Robert B. Parker and now by Ace Atkins) and watch various shows on TV ("River Monsters" is great because it's about a guy looking for the real animal behind the myth or actual attack; "The Strain" is a cool action series blending myth, history, and some science just when I thought the vampire genre was beaten to death).

It's always a long wait for the NFL (American football) season and it goes by so fast. I live in California but I'm a longtime Miami Dolphins fan (since I was 8) who has suffered through many recent bad-mediocre seasons with our glory years a distant memory.

Jess

Yes. After 3 years or 1000 posts you can consider it a separate hobby.

I make high-end leather goods (mainly motorcycle upholstery) for a living, but it's a hobby as well. I also design and build custom motorcycle parts.

PM me if you're interested to see my website I've just built.

post-14584-0-30857300-1467350562_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-91675500-1467350589_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-93081700-1467350751_thumb.jpg

I also am a big collector of cultural objects and antiques. And i enjoy to draw or create things in my free time.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I used to be a professional singer/songwriter and still keep my hand in there by giving the odd performance. Guitar is my main instrument. I also like reading, gardening, hiking, doing tours in the Alps and riding around on my bike.

Bike as in motorcycle or bicycle?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I write too many novels, a nasty habit I'm trying to break. Newest one called, B0T. I also collect coins and old books. Of those, my two proudest acquisitions are a silver denarius from the reign of Septimius Severus, and a leaf from the Strasbourg bible from 1485.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Kind of... Perhaps more like P.K.Dick meets John Barth with little streaks of Borges. Not that I write anywhere near as well as those august names. :P

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Are You telling Me that there are things other than rocks and fossils? :o

Wow-- what a revelation!!!! :D

Tony

PS I collected antique bottles- mostly pre 1900 with oriental writing embossed, but also some porcelain pieces. (Man made rocks.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Bike as in motorcycle or bicycle?

Maybe I should be more precise here. Doing hiking tours in the Alps and riding around my area at the Lake of Constance on my bicycle.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Maybe I should be more precise here. Doing hiking tours in the Alps and riding around my area at the Lake of Constance on my bicycle.

That's cool. :)

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I collect agave and echeveria's........ probably weeds in the USA and Mexico but a challenge to grow in the UK

I enjoy drawing, carving, hiking, researching the napoleonic wars and reading whatever's around.

-Lyall

• 2 weeks later...

I collect antiques (mainly books and coins) and modern marine shells.I also love to learn different dialects (like German and French) and music (I play cello and I'll probably learn trumpet or sax next year).

Regards,

Guguita

A few other diversions:

- Sedimentary rocks/stratigraphy (I guess this falls under 'fossils')

- Astronomy (mainly deep sky and comets)

- Planetary exploration (armchair, not actual :) )

- Wildflower photography

Context is critical.

I've enjoyed getting to know everybody else's hobbies. We are a very interesting crew, that's for sure. ;-)

Guitar, harmonica, singing country music, hiking and climbing, inventing stuff, playing with computers and electronics. At the moment I'm making a simple wireless EKG that will pair with my iPhone.

I got into fossil collecting after I retired. I was having trouble adjusting, but it seems that figuring out fossils and discussing them on the forum stimulates the same brain cells as engineering and R&D. Plus, I get to go out hiking and climbing.

post-20989-0-06771100-1469484243_thumb.jpeg

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

I also enjoy getting out and about in my landrover exploring Western Australia.

So jealous of your rover. Since we moved to Texas, I've been itching to trade in my 15 year old Honda Accord for a nice little 4WD truck. Something used, so I won't be afraid to get it dirty. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html