What are your other hobbies?

Darktooth

Awesome, Kris!

:wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Wrapped up the knife handle and sharpened this morning. For reference, the blade is 5.75 inches long.IMG_4098.thumb.JPG.5c53bc2f5c020e372082deefbe2574fb.JPG

Really nice work! Great job!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

My kid and I like to go to the shooting range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUTA5WlCcI

Fun! Unfortunately, full auto = empty wallet these days!

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Fun! Unfortunately, full auto = empty wallet these days!

Indeed.  That pursuit can unload a bank account as fast as as a gambling problem!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My wife talked me into making centerpieces for a HS band fundraiser for the kids. I made 24 in total.

Cut, grind, forge, weld, paint, repeat...

You sir, are an artist! :) 

Well done. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

You sir, are an artist! :) 

Well done. 

Thanks. Next project is @snolly50's stand for his Noto which is currently sandwiched in plywood under about 70 pounds while the PVA glue holding it to its new plywood backing dries. Don't tell Snolly though, no need to worry him. :P

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks. Next project is @snolly50's stand for his Noto which is currently sandwiched in plywood under about 70 pounds while the PVA glue holding it to its new plywood backing dries. Don't tell Snolly though, no need to worry him. :P

@Ptychodus04, Kris, you better add another 30 pounds or so; it's hard to keep a good Noto down!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

31 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

@Ptychodus04, Kris, you better add another 30 pounds or so; it's hard to keep a good Noto down!

They found me, I don't know how but they found me... Run for it Marty!

My wife actually freaked out a bit when she saw it, thinking I was going to break it!

My wife actually freaked out a bit when she saw it, thinking I was going to break it!

@Ptychodus04 Kris, it is comforting to know that you have adult supervision. I know I often require it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

19 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

@Ptychodus04 Kris, it is comforting to know that you have adult supervision. I know I often require it.

Yep. I always require it but sometimes, I sneak out of my cage and wreak havoc.  :hammer01::megalodon_broken01:

Those music centerpieces are awesome! 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

6 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Those music centerpieces are awesome! 

Thanks. The best part is that everything is made from scrap metal. The angle steel, rebar, threaded rod, and flat plates are from a construction site and the flags on the single notes are made from old garage door spring!

• 4 weeks later...

I wrapped up another knife this weekend. It is a 6" drop point camp knife/chopper with a full tang and pecan handle scales. I also hand stitched the leather sheath. I acid etched the blade and learned that O1 doesn't etch very dramatically with muriatic.

58f612501b46f_6CampKnifeO1SteelPecanHandle.thumb.jpg.5fc97daef691375f2fb77f4ecfdb5643.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Been a member of cloudynights forum for nearly 8 years.

Here's my attempt at imaging the Orion nebula...

post-85802-14074204723788_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

@Hat That's a nice scope and a great image of M42. I personally love the diffraction spikes introduced by the secondary spider on a newt.

Thanks, I got the reflector for aperture, because I was familiar with them, and because I like diffraction spikes.

I can't remember the numbers but they're strange - 1 spider vein creates 2 diffraction spikes, 2 spider veins create 8, 3 create 7 (or sone oddball number), and so on.... something like that.

I saw your astro imaging thread. Good shots! 

1 hour ago, Hat said:

Thanks, I got the reflector for aperture, because I was familiar with them, and because I like diffraction spikes.

I can't remember the numbers but they're strange - 1 spider vein creates 2 diffraction spikes, 2 spider veins create 8, 3 create 7 (or sone oddball number), and so on.... something like that.

I saw your astro imaging thread. Good shots! 

Spiders are weird for sure. I also like the faster f ratio on a reflector for deep space imaging. Many objects won't fit on the frame of the camera with my SCT. But, the SCT is great for solar system imaging as well as the smaller DSOs. I need to modify my off axis solar filter to fit my 12" SCT and practice with it on some sunspots before the eclipse this summer. It was built to fit a 10" dobsonian.

I bet you have some dark skies being in SW New Mexico. I have to drive at least 3 hours to get to a good dark site from Dallas.

27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Spiders are weird for sure. I also like the faster f ratio on a reflector for deep space imaging. Many objects won't fit on the frame of the camera with my SCT. But, the SCT is great for solar system imaging as well as the smaller DSOs. I need to modify my off axis solar filter to fit my 12" SCT and practice with it on some sunspots before the eclipse this summer. It was built to fit a 10" dobsonian.

I bet you have some dark skies being in SW New Mexico. I have to drive at least 3 hours to get to a good dark site from Dallas.

Good luck with the eclipse. There are some really awesome images online of solar eclipses.

Yeah, the Gila wilderness is one of the best dark sky sites in the U.S. You could walk 100 miles out there and never see another person or sign of human life.

32 minutes ago, Hat said:

Yeah, the Gila wilderness is one of the best dark sky sites in the U.S. You could walk 100 miles out there and never see another person or sign of human life.

:envy::drool: