A Couple If Id's I Need On Carb Plants

Terry Dactyll

Ive been going though my collection photographing odd things as examples for forum Id's etc, and theres a few bits im not sure of.... so if you could be so kind to have a look at these, i'd value your opinions..... These wont be them all, but I will add bits as i find them..... Thanks in advance....

I'm not sure at all with this one.....

post-1630-1243331852_thumb.jpg

I think this is a 'very 3d' Sigillaria possibly....

post-1630-1243331943_thumb.jpgpost-1630-1243331958_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Guest solius symbiosus

It has been years since I've read anything on Penn. stuff, but if memory serves... there are seven layers of bark in the lycopods, and as the layers get deeper, differentiating the various genera becomes more difficult. I seem to recall that some of the inner barks of Lepidodendron are remarkably similar to those of Sigillaria.

solius symbiosus....... Thanks for having a look...... seven layers..... wow....

solius symbiosus....... Thanks for having a look...... seven layers..... wow....

Hi from France

Among lepidophytes, there are several conditions, depending on the status and depth of decortication, these Ecorces show traces of spindle-shaped, sometimes we can still distinguish the beams leaf, look in google, bergeria, aspidaria,or aspidiaria , knorria I found a small piece of trunk that are similar to your specimen....I named it knorria sp.

About your Sigillaria, it might be Sigillaria cordigera Zeiller, showing ribs smooth, regular and curved, I advise you to call Sigillaria sp. yet.....

bruno

post-967-1243443755_thumb.jpg

post-967-1243443778_thumb.jpg

post-967-1243443798_thumb.jpg

post-967-1243443824_thumb.jpg

It is a very nice specimen, I believe I have a similar one somewhere around the house. Sigillaria sp seems the most reasonable name, I believe Bruno advised me to mark mine the same. I trust in his superior knowledge of fossil flora.

Bruno Thanks again & Nicholas cheers for your input.........

I have labelled them up properly now...I dont have the decorticated images ..... so without those I struggle to ID them.....

I have a few more bits I will add to this thread as I find them.... I'd appreciate your help

• 3 weeks later...

Heres an ID im not 100% sure on..... looks Lepidodendron but also like a coarse Bothrodendron.....

post-1630-1244989544_thumb.jpg post-1630-1244989531_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts........

Heres an ID im not 100% sure on..... looks Lepidodendron but also like a coarse Bothrodendron.....

post-1630-1244989544_thumb.jpg post-1630-1244989531_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts........

Hi Steve ;)

I think you find Botrodendron leaves : Lycopodites carbonaceous O.Feismantel ,the leaves are much shorter than Lepidodendron and wider at the base.

look the plates in Zeiller 1886 "Description de la Flore Fossile ,Bassin Houiller de Valenciennes "

best regards

bruno

post-967-1245001112_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245001155_thumb.jpg

Bruno Thanks again...... the images are identical with the fossil so another mystery solved, I can do a label now and log it in my fossil record.......

'' Lycopodites carbonaceous O.Feisman''.... what a big name for a small fossil.... have we any idea what the 'o'.. stands for....

Bruno Thanks again...... the images are identical with the fossil so another mystery solved, I can do a label now and log it in my fossil record.......

'' Lycopodites carbonaceous O.Feisman''.... what a big name for a small fossil.... have we any idea what the 'o'.. stands for....

the name of that eminent paleontologist: Ottokar Feismantel who discribed the bothrodendron foliages....

bruno

the name of that eminent paleontologist: Ottokar Feismantel who discribed the bothrodendron foliages....

bruno

Hi Steve ;););)

Here are Bothrodendron barks and foliage

do you find Bothrodendron barks on Crookey pit ???

Bothrodendron minutifolium Boulay young bark in red and old bark in black shale...

Lycopodites carbonaceus O.Feistmantel

in France it is a rare species.....

best regards

bruno

post-967-1245092666_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245092722_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245092767_thumb.jpg

Bruno...... Thanks again.... Your a wealth of knowledge !!!.... you should write a book with those stunning fossils you have collected as photos of examples...please print one copy in English for me lol....

Yes it does look quite different, I would imagine pretty rare here to....Thats why i was wondering what it was...

At Crockhey we found Bothrodendron shoots but I never noticed the bark, although we were concentrating on the concretions mainly.....

I know Ive got this one wrong.... It could be Annularia, but it seems to have too many leaflets....

post-1630-1245141824_thumb.jpgpost-1630-1245141804_thumb.jpg

Bruno....you should write a book with those stunning fossils you have collected as photos of examples...please print one copy in English for me lol....

Funny you should say that; it's in the works, it's in english, and I have "pre-ordered" my copy! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bruno...... Thanks again.... Your a wealth of knowledge !!!.... you should write a book with those stunning fossils you have collected as photos of examples...please print one copy in English for me lol....

Yes it does look quite different, I would imagine pretty rare here to....Thats why i was wondering what it was...

At Crockhey we found Bothrodendron shoots but I never noticed the bark, although we were concentrating on the concretions mainly.....

I know Ive got this one wrong.... It could be Annularia, but it seems to have too many leaflets....

post-1630-1245141824_thumb.jpgpost-1630-1245141804_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve ;););)

I think you have found Annularia radiata Brongniart , leaves are unfolded as annularia, very slender and pointed...look this plate

bruno

post-967-1245184992_thumb.jpg

Bruno.......... Thanks.... the shape or orientation of the leaves to create that ' pom pom' on the end of the stem made me think it may be something else........

Auspex...... Yes I'll reserve mine to.......

Bruno..... Glad were back online and I do hope your not getting sick of me asking you to many questions.... ;)

Heres a couple I'd like you to cast your expert eye over.....

post-1630-1245659627_thumb.jpg post-1630-1245659658_thumb.jpg

The first photo is of what I've labelled Spiropteris (or uncurling fern frond)... I have no scientific material on this ....its just a name I was told to call these uncurling ferns.....

post-1630-1245660117_thumb.jpg

I suppose its difficult to be more specfic as to species as its impossible to determine the exact leaf type.... would you agree...?

The second I think is a cyclopteris orbicularis.......but the elliptical shape makes it stand out from the others I have.... Is this a juvenile specimen and would it grow into a more rounder shape when fully grown, or is it a slight variant.... I wondered if you have come across this before....

Hi Steve ;););)

Yes generaly it 's impossible to determine the exact leaf type ,Spiropteris are assigned to crosier fronds ,these junveniles forms are easily identifiable to a species when they are isolated , about spiropteris , these leaves may be polymorphic many variations depending on their maturity ....see some spiropteris and cyclopteris leaves from northern france

best regards

bruno

post-967-1245694213_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245694240_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245694277_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245694306_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... Very nice examples.... thanks.....The RH one shows the 'eliptical shape' and the association with the fern in the LH one is nice.... Ive never had that in any nodular ones ive found....

Bruno.....

Looking through my plant drawers these are among some of the first nodules I picked up at Crockhey and Ive never known what to call them, they look like Asterophyllites longifolius, (foliage wise and denseness regarding number of leaves) but obviously much shorter in length of leaves..... I'd value your opinion for an ID as i have nothing in my books to compare it to......

post-1630-1245920494_thumb.jpg post-1630-1245920519_thumb.jpg

This one I have absolutely no idea what it could be.....

post-1630-1245920852_thumb.jpg

Bruno.... heres the Alethopteris, im unsure of the type.... the veination is completely different to the figures i have in my book..... would you take a look.... thanks....

post-1630-1246040095_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1246040229_thumb.jpg

Bruno.... heres the Alethopteris, im unsure of the type.... the veination is completely different to the figures i have in my book..... would you take a look.... thanks....

Hi Steve

Yes these leaves a bit to resemble ferns alethopteris because the leaves are decurent to the rachis , but the veins are very different slant on your specimen and divided once very close to the median vein , there are strong similarities with Callipteridium armasi Zeiller ,look the plate ..., this species appears in the coal of Saar Lorrainne , Westphalian D and extends into the Stephanian, I do not know if you know the meaning of the word decurent, this means that the edge of the sheet approaches the rachis without ever touching,

best regards ;););)

bruno

post-967-1246048599_thumb.jpg

Bruno...... I'd say 'spot on' with that Id it looks identical...... The book I have and refer to is Plant Fossils of the British Coal Measures by Chris Cleal and Barry Thomas.... a lot of what you have shown me i cannot find in there... maybe I need to extend my reading and Library..... I dont know if you missed the other ones, they were on the end of page one....... would you take a look.... Thanks Steve....

Where would i be without you...plenty nameless plant fossils..lol..... ;)

Bruno.....

Looking through my plant drawers these are among some of the first nodules I picked up at Crockhey and Ive never known what to call them, they look like Asterophyllites longifolius, (foliage wise and denseness regarding number of leaves) but obviously much shorter in length of leaves..... I'd value your opinion for an ID as i have nothing in my books to compare it to......

post-1630-1245920494_thumb.jpg post-1630-1245920519_thumb.jpg

This one I have absolutely no idea what it could be.....

post-1630-1245920852_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve

this could be the ends of stems Sphenophyllum myriophyllum Crepin, this is a little short for an asterophyllites longifolius .For the other specimen, I have no answer to give you, it looks like a piece of fertile penne ,likely ferns shenopteris which has lost its sporangia ....

bruno ;);)

post-967-1246053418_thumb.jpg

Bruno Thanks....

Looks a very good possibility Sphenophyllum myriophyllum, and am I glad I joined this forum lol... youve sorted all my ...Unknowns' ....out..... well done!

Have you ever found Sphenophyllum, with... 'Multiple tips'... evident like in the first example.... Ive only ever found them as a singular shoot..... ?