A Couple If Id's I Need On Carb Plants

Terry Dactyll

Bruno Thanks....

Looks a very good possibility Sphenophyllum myriophyllum, and am I glad I joined this forum lol... youve sorted all my ...Unknowns' ....out..... well done!

Have you ever found Sphenophyllum, with... 'Multiple tips'... evident like in the first example.... Ive only ever found them as a singular shoot..... ?

Hi Steve

I found Sphenophyllum cuneifolium Sternberg and Shenophyllum emarginatum Brongniart ,the specie S.emarginatum is in two tips ....

best regards ;););)

bruno

pl_spheno_1.pdf

pl_spheno_2.pdf

pl_spheno_3.pdf

Bruno.... Magnificent !!! the PDF photo's and reconstruction they are beautiful.... and the examples you have there are fabulous to, I only ever usually find isolated leaf heads Its really nice to see the stems and leaflet arrangements....

Thanks again, your a star.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Bruno.... Magnificent !!! the PDF photo's and reconstruction they are beautiful.... and the examples you have there are fabulous to, I only ever usually find isolated leaf heads Its really nice to see the stems and leaflet arrangements....

Thanks again, your a star.....

Steve , Stems and leaflet arrangement are quite common in the north of france, if you want I send to you a few specimens soon, sending me your personal post adesse by mail

bruno

post-967-1246119952_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bruno ....Very nice specimens & Thanks.... Ive been rooting through my material and seeing you seem to have a very comprehensive tree bark collection... I was wondering if you could take a look at this... I think its

Lepidodendron wedekindii? I'd value your opinion....

post-1630-1247213483_thumb.jpg

Bruno ....Very nice specimens & Thanks.... Ive been rooting through my material and seeing you seem to have a very comprehensive tree bark collection... I was wondering if you could take a look at this... I think its

Lepidodendron wedekindii? I'd value your opinion....

post-1630-1247213483_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve

This identification seems consistent with the description of Crookall, bark marked with vertical furrows , leaf cushions elongated and leaf scars very small ,In my humble opinion this species is probably part of an old bark of a Lepidodendron described in another name when this barks is junvenil .... ;););)

post-967-1247220873_thumb.jpg

post-967-1247220895_thumb.jpg

post-967-1247220918_thumb.jpg

Bruno.... Thanks, and wonderful specimens Mr tree .... ;)... Im glad its an Old tree, it adds character to the find......

Bruno.... Thanks, and wonderful specimens Mr tree .... ;)... Im glad its an Old tree, it adds character to the find......

Hi Steve ;););)

A small correction on my part, the word "old" is a misnomer, "basal" is more appropriate, these low-lying parts of the bark are very different from the high part in the bifurcations" juvenile " ,so we can't say "old", these trees did not survive more than 10 years, they had a very rapid growth....

post-967-1247292463_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... you have some fantastic reference material..... that drawing is excellent....Thanks...

Bruno..... you have some fantastic reference material..... that drawing is excellent....Thanks...

Thank's

It is one of my drawing ,in 1995...,here are the plates of Crookall 's book.....

Lepidodendron is my favorit plant

best regards

bruno

post-967-1247308549_thumb.jpg

post-967-1247308608_thumb.jpg

Wow.... what an artist.... I cant wait for your book to be finished.... If your serious about the book and want to include any of my nodular specimens as reference, you are very welcome to come and photograph the lot of them.... and i have a few Hundred ;) ....

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see you around again Bruno.... Ive been digging through my shale specimens in the shed and found a few bits I would like you to check over.... This resembles to me two specimens of Lepidodendron wedekindii, but maybe more basal than the last specimen i posted, or more opened up ?.... what do you think.... ;)

post-1630-1248599271_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248599308_thumb.jpg

Secondly... I have a couple of bits of Sigillaria bark specimens... I always struggle with these.... theres so many to choose from and Im seeking some guidance again....I think the dark preserved one could be Sigillaria scutellata?

post-1630-1248599820_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248599853_thumb.jpg

What do you coat your bark specimens in?... I have tried diluted PVA but they dont look quite as nice as yours.... they have a nice lustre....

Thanks again for your help.....

And Thirdly..... does this look like to you as Lepidodendron at a final stage of decortication?... Its eliptical crushed in cross section..... and was found right at the base of a trunk, i remember it sticking out, although didnt seem to be directly associated with it... although i suppose it could be root..... Id value your opinions.... Thanks....

post-1630-1248682953_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248682990_thumb.jpg

Nice to see you around again Bruno.... Ive been digging through my shale specimens in the shed and found a few bits I would like you to check over.... This resembles to me two specimens of Lepidodendron wedekindii, but maybe more basal than the last specimen i posted, or more opened up ?.... what do you think.... ;)

post-1630-1248599271_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248599308_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve ;);)

Hi all I came back from holydays, I left the south of France there was the sun, I'm back in the north of France it is raining, I went through the show Millau, beautiful fossils but unfortunately few plants

I met with our Spanish friends, a few exchanges with a local collector, I acquired a beautiful fern Dicksonites Pluckneti...for your bark, it is probably a basal part of the trunk, I've collected many specimens bark Lepidodendron, there are many variations depending on the position on the trunk and I think there are some species: " true "and the authors have increased the species

bruno

Bruno.... sounds like you had a very good trip...... collecting, exchanging and a fossil fare.... nice planning......Hope you are well refreshed and full of ' carboniferous enthusiasm'.... to help me with my Id's ;) ...The first sigillaria, i think it looks more like s.laevigata..... any thoughts on the chunk of stem or root?....

Thanks again.... ;)

Secondly... I have a couple of bits of Sigillaria bark specimens... I always struggle with these.... theres so many to choose from and Im seeking some guidance again....I think the dark preserved one could be Sigillaria scutellata?

post-1630-1248599820_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248599853_thumb.jpg

What do you coat your bark specimens in?... I have tried diluted PVA but they dont look quite as nice as yours.... they have a nice lustre....

Thanks again for your help.....

Hi Steve ;)

"they have a nice lustre" just hair spray !!!! For sigillaria barks with large ribs , I think you find Sigillaria reniformis Brongniart , look the plate , figure nr 6....,the black preserved could be sigillaria scutellata .

best regards

bruno

post-967-1248717345_thumb.jpg

post-967-1248717413_thumb.jpg