ID needed, please, newbie

Banannamommy

I am aware that many of the weird lumps and bumps of the iron heavy rock formations in Big Brook make some things that look like fossils that arent.  Probably the bulk of these are such.  
However, im very new at this and I would like to know if any of my guesses are correct.  I would be grateful if anyone would help me ID these.  

( keep in mind that these are from several trips to Big Brook and this is the entire groups' ( 5 ppl 2x)  fossils. We are law abiding and only took the limit each visit, we'd like there to be fossils for people to find for a long time there) 
fossil one: because of the shiny black on it and its weird shape, i thought it may be a fish tooth? like a drumfish. but it looks wrong. 

fossil two: really degraded squid guard?

fossil 3:  probably nothing. i thought it was something because of the uniform breakage in the back

fossil 4: i thought this was nothing until i cleaned it off and saw the greyish stuff under the clay

fossil 5: again i thought it might look like a drumfish tooth but then i bought it home and looked at the computer images and im pretty sure its not a thing. 

fossil 6: is that a tooth?

fossil 7: is this just a clump of rock and mud?

fossil 8: I saw mentioned somewhere on the forum a similar find and someone said it might be like shrimp poop? is it? 

fossil 9: piece of squid guard?

fossil 10: idk what it is. it looks like burrows. but not. 

fossil 11: a tooth, for sure but not sure what?

fossil 12: nada or the tiniest squid guard eva ( included bc its a six yr olds find) 

thank you in advance for any help you choose to lend me. :)

mystery1a.jpg

mystery1b.jpg

mystery1c.jpg

mystery1d.jpg

mystery2a.jpg

mystery2b.jpg

mystery3a.jpg

mystery3b.jpg

mystery3c.jpg

mystery4.jpg

mystery5a.jpg

mystery5b.jpg

mystery5c.jpg

mystery6a.jpg

mystery6b.jpg

mystery7a.jpg

mystery7b.jpg

mystery8a.jpg

mystery8b.jpg

mystery9.jpg

mystery10.jpg

mystery11a.jpg

mystery11b.jpg

mystery12.jpg

I agree with ynot. Anything with a scaly appearance is probably an iron concretion. I get lost with numbers but this looks like an oyster shell with barnacles:

IMG_2422.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

please don't use coins in size references, as people from other countries may not be able to view size.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Oh! i didnt know about the coins!  What should i use?  

oh wow! there are actual fossils in there :) 
the little one will be so excited to know her find was something unique.  

Just now, Banannamommy said:

Oh! i didnt know about the coins!  What should i use?  

oh wow! there are actual fossils in there :) 
the little one will be so excited to know her find was something unique.  

A ruler should work (although other things that are standard everywhere, some of the more interesting ones include beer cans and bottle caps)

The croc tooth is especially a nice find! Could be deinosuchus, the largest alligator to ever live!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

:)  
Is that the one with that they ( discovery channel as in they) think had a distinctive gallop? 
( I know very well that the discovery channel bends the truth a bit....im a member of the society for creative anachronism and they do not always get the facts in the same order as I understand they happened) 

ynot- the one that i thought was a cracked belemnite guard?

Just now, Banannamommy said:

:)  
Is that the one with that they ( discovery channel as in they) think had a distinctive gallop? 
( I know very well that the discovery channel bends the truth a bit....im a member of the society for creative anachronism and they do not always get the facts in the same order as I understand they happened) 

Most have the ability to gallop (including modern ones), but the one your thinking of is a Moroccan crocodiliform. Deinosuchus was a late Cretaceous alligator ( or alligator related really, technically an alligatoroid ) that lived on the east coast as well as the western interior sea way. It was about 35 feet long at most. I'm not sure if the tooth is actually from this, others may know how to tell, but it's possible!

Happy hunting,

Mason

its an awfully tiny tooth to be from something that large..... 
im just excited that its an Alligator tooth.  I cant wait to tell my kiddo :) . She loves Reptiles.  

10 minutes ago, Banannamommy said:

ynot- the one that i thought was a cracked belemnite guard?

Not sure which one You are referring to. It is the round grey tobe looking piece that has a lot of peble looking things in it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The only fossils I see there are:

1) the grey cone with the black specks is a belemnite phragmocone steinkern (lithified mud that filled the conical depression at the front the of the animal's internal shell)

2) the light grey piece covered with dark spheres is a piece of oyster with Cliona (sponge) gallery steinkerns (lithified mud that filled the sponge tunnels)

3) the striated cone might be a croc tooth, but definitely not an alligator

4) the grey cylinder might be a weathered urchin spine

I don't see a fecal pellet lined shrimp burrow - they details are all quite different from one of those - but more likely a cracked belemnite guard as Bannanamommy says. But that one is hard to be certain about.

10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree with ynot. Anything with a scaly appearance is probably an iron concretion. I get lost with numbers but this looks like an oyster shell with barnacles:

IMG_2422.JPG

I think this one is cliona (boring spinge) left behind after dissolution of the shell

1 minute ago, Plax said:

I think this one is cliona (boring spinge) left behind after dissolution of the shell

I'd press informative if there was one!:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

should have read down to Carl before I commented!

The croc tooth might be a worn solitary corralum? A pic of the thick end would help

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'd press informative if there was one!:D

Push the new little heart shape at the bottom of the post and there are now all sorts of things you can do.  No explanation, though.

2 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Push the new little heart shape at the bottom of the post and there are now all sorts of things you can do.  No explanation, though.

I'm so confused now, this updates changed everything! I'll get used to it eventually...

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

No explanation, though.

Hover on the emoji and it has an id flag. There are - sad, confused, haha and thanks, but no informative.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

So its kinda like Facebook now. 

Plax, I would post a pic of the thick end but I can't until my laptop does its update thing. No telling how long.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Hover on the emoji and it has an id flag. There are - sad, confused, haha and thanks, but no informative.

Appears that if you click on the heart once, it brings out the sidebar with several choices, but if you don't click any of those and just click on the heart again, it acts like the old Informative button.

8 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Appears that if you click on the heart once, it brings out the sidebar with several choices, but if you don't click any of those and just click on the heart again, it acts like the old Informative button.

I suspect that for awhile you will start seeing posters get unearned informative votes as people click on the heart to see the choices, think "nah, I don't want to pick any of those," click on the heart again to close it, and not realize they just cast an Informative vote for the post.

14 hours ago, ynot said:

A ruler is best.

I agree with a small ruler for most items. But, to help all members a scale in millimeters and centimeters is probably best. That is the world standard. ( except for the U.S.)

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

19 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

I agree with a small ruler for most items. But, to help all members a scale in millimeters and centimeters is probably best. That is the world standard. ( except for the U.S.)

What about those who measure in cubits!:P

Happy hunting,

Mason