Auction Prep Part Deux

Ptychodus04

You perform some of the most amazing prep work i have ever seen, do you think by chance one day you could do a video on youtube showing us noob's how it's done?

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

You perform some of the most amazing prep work i have ever seen, do you think by chance one day you could do a video on youtube showing us noob's how it's done?

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, fossil preparation has so many different methods depending on the fossil and associated matrix that I would have to do a whole series of videos just to cover the basics. There's also a ton of trial and error that the preparator has to go through to really learn how to make the fossils stand out. That can't be taught.

I'm much more inclined to answer specific questions to individuals than spend a bunch of time on making videos. I'm really a troglodyte and it's actually quite an effort to participate here let alone make online videos. :P

• I found this Informative 3

You are my hero Kris!!!  and yes, I already know that the face on this thing is a mess.  Just hoping that the jaw turned to the right way will make it look a bit better?   There is always hope?   :)

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

You are my hero Kris!!!  and yes, I already know that the face on this thing is a mess.  Just hoping that the jaw turned to the right way will make it look a bit better?   There is always hope?   :)

RB

I'm not currently feeling very happy about the prognosis for the face on this guy but I am withholding judgement until I get more of the skull prepped. It looks like he gorged on knuckle sandwiches right before he died.

I have found quite a few fossil fish over the years where it looked as if they got punched in the face.  Wonder why or how that happens?

RB

12 hours ago, RJB said:

I have found quite a few fossil fish over the years where it looked as if they got punched in the face.  Wonder why or how that happens?

RB

Many fish have extremely flexible jaw systems that allow them to swallow large prey. In order for this to work, the bones are loosely held together. Once the animal dies and if burial isn't quick, the connective tissues decay and the face falls apart. 

I see see this in still water environments most often as the sedimentation rate is very slow.

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours in and Rocky's face is beginning to take shape, whatever shape that is. :P A good portion of the last 3 hours has been spent carefully removing the 1/4" of hard matrix on top of the skull with the CP9361. There are many contours and I can't assume normal bone orientation so every time I uncover a scrap of bone, I switch to the Aro and poke around a bit. About 1/3 of these discoveries turn out to be a random piece that is not associated with Rocky. 

IMG_5066.thumb.JPG.9618c3a3829ac2806f8b1e565bec24a8.JPG

Those of us with better memory will notice that I have reached the 10 hours stipulated in the auction. Never fear, Ron gets a few hours credit for not needing the stand that was part of the deal. Plus, once you start you gotta finish. :D

Hey @Ptychodus04,  after I read this last post of yours I realized that I just spent $760 on my last fossil purchace and still have to pay for shipping for Rocky to get back home.  Can you concentrate on the head of this thing.  I may have to finish the rest up myself.

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey @Ptychodus04,  after I read this last post of yours I realized that I just spent $760 on my last fossil purchace and still have to pay for shipping for Rocky to get back home.  Can you concentrate on the head of this thing.  I may have to finish the rest up myself.

RB

No need. This is worth the added time and I'm more than happy to donate the additional time in order to finish the prep. :D You have given a ton of knowledge and advice here. Consider this my thank you.

Just don't let the word get out that I'm going soft! :P

• I found this Informative 2

@Ptychodus04 Hey, I heard somewhere, that you are going soft. I guess that means you'll have to start wearin' pants, quit huntin', get your BBQ from the grocery and start usin' store-bought hot sauce! Pitiful. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

@Ptychodus04 Hey, I heard somewhere, that you are going soft. I guess that means you'll have to start wearin' pants, quit huntin', get your BBQ from the grocery and start usin' store-bought hot sauce! Pitiful. 

Start wearing pants that's outrageous!!

Alright @Ptychodus04, who the father fire trucking sog, (son of a gun), do you think you are?!!!  You see, one can cuss up a storm even here on the forum if you know how.  Ha!!!  :)

But seriously, I cant let you do that with some kind of reciprocation.  I do just happen to have more unprepped fish slabs that I know what to do with. How bout I pick one out and send it to you in return for this extra work.  I really dont mine and I really would like it if I did.  and I dont care if you do wear a skirt.  :rofl:

RB

5 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Whatever you heard, it's a falsehood!

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Alright @Ptychodus04, who the father fire trucking sog, (son of a gun), do you think you are?!!!  You see, one can cuss up a storm even here on the forum if you know how.  Ha!!!  :)

But seriously, I cant let you do that with some kind of reciprocation.  I do just happen to have more unprepped fish slabs that I know what to do with. How bout I pick one out and send it to you in return for this extra work.  I really dont mine and I really would like it if I did.  and I dont care if you do wear a skirt.  :rofl:

RB

Ron, I'm apparently a dirty boxoliver sockwat of a caliber similar to yourself. See, I can employ euphemism too. :P

That's quite an offer you make and I would never be so rude as to deny your courtesy, but it is not required by any means. 

BTW, an old Scot told me it's only a skirt if you wear underwear with it. :rofl:

Hey Kris, you know bigger words that i am familiar with, but this is what I want to do.  I cant ask that you do more work and not have anything in return.  Just let me know how many more hours it takes and I will make sure that i give you something the same amount in return.  I will not take no for an answer.  This is what Im gunna do.  Just the way I am..  Lets not get in a fight over this because you would win in a fight, and also, im smart enough to actually hire someone like some guido's and bugsby's to do my fighting for me and then it will cost me a get well card and some flowers and candy when your in the hospital and I dont have that kind of money's.  Ha!!  :rofl:   Buit just the simple fact that you offered to finish it up without any cost says to me that you are one heck of a guy,  and I really really do appreciate that more than you know.  So, wether you like it or not, Im gunna send you something very  nice when you are done.  No way around it.  Nothing you can do about it.  Its just gunna happen.  Sorry man.  :)

RB

Ok @RJB you win, I'll let you know that it took me an extra hour. :D

You sir are a stand up fellow. It's good to know that you would send be a get well gift after putting a hit on me. :P

2 more hours in and the skull is beginning to fill out. This matrix comes away very slowly as it is extremely hard. After about 30 minutes with the CP9361, my fingers are already tingling from the vibration. There’s a lovely petroleum smell in the garage after a prep session also. Most of the bulk matrix removal is done now so very soon, I’ll permanently trade the 9361 for the Aro and Micro Jack on old Rocky.

553DD4B6-14AA-48CB-8DDA-EAEB991FECE0.jpeg

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Im wondering why you dont use the/some air brasive system?   Lookin good though. 

RB

I find abrasive to be too slow for any significant matrix removal. I will switch to abrasive to finish everything up though.

Sorry man, Ive always liked you, just stirring the pot.  Im good at it.  But Ive got to go to my fossil shed and find you some unprepped fishy's before the real snows start a blowin.  There comes a time when i cant get to my other property.  Do you want a big one or some smaller ones?  :)  @Ptychodus04

RB