Auction Prep Part Deux

Ptychodus04

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This is one that was taken recently...

Not recently enough!

I have it on good authority that He has mellowed, here is a more recent picture...

Image result for old dogs

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

22 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not recently enough!

I have it on good authority that He has mellowed, here is a more recent picture...

Image result for old dogs

:rofl: That's great. He looks similar to the canine named Rocky that loafs around my house. He even smiled for the picture.

IMG_3259.thumb.JPG.d3bc413a58c64cc9963248be69cb4ccb.JPG

I’m at the point of the prep now where appears to stand still. I have 3 more hours into this (for a total of 31) and you almost can’t tell. I have a little bit of detail work to do on the skull and then some abrasive work and old Rocky will be ready to go skiing in Montana.

7A3518D7-5990-4005-A09B-8FE5689C3A25.thumb.jpeg.f62c9e70c82559e35ada72b8b6ccc125.jpeg

Beautiful work. :dinothumb: Those fish are tedious and take a ton of patience.  It sounds crazy, but I kind of like the disarticulated skull.:)

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Beautiful work. :dinothumb: Those fish are tedious and take a ton of patience.  It sounds crazy, but I kind of like the disarticulated skull.:)

Thanks. I do too. The disarticulation tells a story. I like taphonomy.

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Ya got a cute puppy, and the fish looks nice too.

Yah, he’s a good dog. We rescued him (or he rescued us) 3 years ago. I’m pretty happy with how the fish is looking also.

Rocky took a field trip today. He was complaining about coming to Texas and only seeing my garage. So, I took him to visit the local high school biology classes today. 

I was was asked to come and kick off their evolution section. So, Rocky came along and told his story to the kids. He was happy to get out and meet a bunch of Texans. Now, it’s back to the lab to finish his facial work. I was sick as a dog last week so I’m a bit behind on projects.

200386DA-033A-42E8-B4AF-2C45E7FBA0CD.thumb.jpeg.05fcb031312bac81ccb8bde10fa52045.jpeg

10 hours ago, ynot said:

What, no kilt?

Are You afraid of what them kids would say?:P

Nope. I didn’t want to get off topic with questions like: How come my dad isn’t as cool as you? :D

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great to see you giving inspiration to the young generation. I'm sure that Rocky was a great help there.

Rocky was a big help. I spoke to about 200 students and about 20 asked what was wrong with his face. The perfect story for Halloween, exploding fish!

Ok, I’ve had enough of Rocky’s complaining about the heat here in Texas (92 today) and how much better the weather is in Montana. I’m done working on him. Thankfully, I finished the actual prep before I had enough of his crying. :P

Here he is after 34 hours of work. Wow! What a fish he turned out to be. One of @RJB‘s kids is going to be really happy to get this less than perfect (perfect in my eyes) specimen.

This has been a pleasure to work on with the added benefit of teaching 200 freshmen about taphonomy with his messed up face!

FC3DF382-BB15-40C7-8C44-49462D48010A.thumb.jpeg.b5bf93c7157cb427dbb07b71e0fc2e64.jpeg

Nice going Kris.  Im gunna hafta try and get up to my property and get you some fish.  Gots a bit of snow so it may be tuff going? 

RB

23 minutes ago, RJB said:

Nice going Kris.  Im gunna hafta try and get up to my property and get you some fish.  Gots a bit of snow so it may be tuff going? 

RB

No hurry. I have other preps that are stacked up still. :blink:

Kris, 

Awesome job on the prep here. 

Just Amazing!!  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah, I guess this is superb and excellent prep work if you're into that sort of thing. :P In all seriousness, very impressive, and you managed to bring out the detail in such a way as this specimen really pops. :fistbump:

That's clearly 34 hours of dedication, sweat, and skill. The added bonus of making it a teachable moment is fantastic (exploding fish faces - ha!). Thanks for sharing the process with us, Kris. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks gents.

@Kane you’re one funny feller. You just wait, before you know it you’ll be up to your armpits in fossils to prep. You’ve already taken the first steps towards the dark side.

Rocky (the fish not the puppy) is going back into the crate tonight for the long trip to the frigid north. I took the 34 hours worth of photos and condensed them into a few seconds just to refresh the process. It really shows how slowly certain aspects of a preparation go.

5a037608d2bd4_PhareodusPrepAnimation.gif.fce089c6f79f612e9d955ca7d026d526.gif

• I found this Informative 1

I does not matter how much time it takes at the end of the day as each and every fossil is special, and a part of history that cannot be re-created and you for sure have done an amazing job in showing this fossil to its fullest potential, and again great prep work.