Third annual TFF Secret Santa!

IonRocks

@Monica unfortunately no, nothing yet.:(

I hope something arrive this week, unless japanese customs decided to start a canadian fossil collection.:P

More seriously, if nothing arrive before monday then we will have to wait until february as i am taking my plane to france in the evening.

I think that my france and uk fossil hunting trip report will be post prior to my ss gifts' photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

34 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

@Monica unfortunately no, nothing yet.:(

I hope something arrive this week, unless japanese customs decided to start a canadian fossil collection.:P

More seriously, if nothing arrive before monday then we will have to wait until february as i am taking my plane to france in the evening.

I think that my france and uk fossil hunting trip report will be post prior to my ss gifts' photos.

That's too bad :(

I know that you should be receiving something this week - here's hoping that the postal service delivers on time (and that customs doesn't prevent this from happening)... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I feel kind of bad sharing this seeing as you have not received yours yet David, however wanted to show the display piece i made from the secret Santa I received, and that all fossils am given i truly appreciate and not just thrown in a draw somewhere (display still needs labels and to be painted black however ;) ).

20180110_185152.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

I feel kind of bad sharing this seeing as you have not received yours yet David, however wanted to show the display piece i made from the secret Santa I received, and that all fossils am given i truly appreciate and not just thrown in a draw somewhere (display still needs labels and to be painted black however ;) ).

20180110_185152.jpg

Nicely displayed!

4 hours ago, Haravex said:

20180110_185152.jpg

Top right corner, is that the hard boiled egg you are having for lunch?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Top right corner, is that the hard boiled egg you are having for lunch?

Good catch Doren- now I’m hungry.

Santa Claus brought me a little surprise yesterday evening, I will post my mail box fossil hunting report and pictures this evening.

Stay tune! 

• I found this Informative 3

18 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Santa Claus brought me a little surprise yesterday evening, I will post my mail box fossil hunting report and pictures this evening.

Stay tune! 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):D:yay-smiley-1:

I am so happy for you, David!

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

31 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Stay tune! 

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::raindance::raindance::thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@David in Japan Finally!!! I'm very curious!

@Haravex nice dislay, great job!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Nice display Haravex. you're right those gift should not take the dust in any drawer.

So here is the moment we are all waiting for to close this awesome 2017's Secret Santa gift exchange: the last secret santa gift picture!

This year Secret Santa gift exchange was rich of new developments and suspense so let me recount you without further delay the last episode of this thrilling saga.:yay-smiley-1:

This morning I woke up at 6 a.m, just like everyday when I work, and I was greeted by my domestic dinosaur.

5a5761ff2a819_dinodomestiquemodif.thumb.jpg.22b03ee1c0db5fa3a74e661ea0191960.jpg

I had my breakfast and when ready I rode my Unicorn to work... just like everyday...

When I leaved home, the weather was fine, really cold and cloudy but fine.

No traffic jam, no accident, everything was perfect however the closer I get to the museum, the darker the sky became and some big snow flakes started to fall.

First day snowy day of the year.

Was it a sign that today won't be like everyday? I don't know, maybe...

So I arrived at my workplace.

5a576457801c2_travailmodif.thumb.jpg.b3bb143e014b3fdd7befa78afe449086.jpg

And as usually said hello to Franck, our guardian.

franckmodif.thumb.jpg.73cc21e5a100dece9440e2b73dd6d229.jpg 

I just said "good morning", but this morning Franck wasn't in a good mood and grouched. Maybe he needed more coffee at breakfast or maybe he didn't understand the joke about his forearm.

Anyway, between you and me, Franck is a good guardian but he is creepy, always looking at you like you are some piece of meat. Gives me goose bump.:(

Then I started my shift. I won't give you more details about this, it is just an uninteresting place full of old bones, robot dinos, and Girls/Guys really into rocks and extinct flora/fauna.

Not the most exciting part of the story I think.

Worked 8 hours and came back home where my princess was waiting for me with a letter pack.:raindance:

I was excited, she was excited.

I looked at her, she looked at me, kicked my leg and said "Papa, I want some potato chips!":shrug:

Ok but first let's open this package.

We opened the letter and inside was:

1 greeting card and 4 fossils.

My 3 years old daughter and I felt in love:wub: immediately wih the piece of art one of Santa Claus' elf leaved inside the greeting card.

Drawing, colors, spangles, everything is perfect!

5a5767e7517b5_aimeecartemodif.thumb.jpg.90ea5c746afd3d23fbb45f80f3e61bf6.jpg

Then we opened the fossils and she forgot about the potato chips :P

5a5769804c175_aimeefossilesmodif.thumb.jpg.d0ac454fd6247f17122016ff8fafbd66.jpg

So what kind of cool things my Secret Santa send me?

5a576e1b7cc23_fossiles2modif.thumb.jpg.dd90ce9351df9accdf269a9274ab3d7e.jpg

I LOVE brachiopod and particularly spirifer. I own some Rhynchonella I found in France but no spirifer yet. This is for me an exceptionnal addition to my personal collection, thank you.

fossiles1modif.thumb.jpg.8713055ae5f8a7058ce381ddb3d1a80f.jpg

Really neat bivalve inprint from Ordovician. As I collect mainly cretaceous fossils (because the closest formation are cretaceous), fossils from other period are always really interesting for me.

fossiles3modif.thumb.jpg.7e9f579776c31cf63b7bc03e0d9eb82f.jpg

If my Secret Santa doesn't mind, this fossil will go to the museum where I will use it for educationnal purpose. Want to show kids some cool things about ammonite/Nautiloid and I am sure they will be amazed to discover that Nautiloid were not always coiled animals.

fossiles4modif.thumb.jpg.d971725df680f2a2607d04245938163b.jpg

I will use this one too at the museum to show kids "ammonite's ancestor". 

I am really excited by this one but I will have to be carefull because during japanese summer, humidity rate exceed 65%.

I would like to thank you my stand-in Santa claus for the very cool fossils adn card he or she send me, I am really enjoying all these fossils and if one day you come by Kumamoto in Japan, you will be able to enjoy it at the museum too (just like some fossils my last SS send me in 2015 and 2016).

I don't know if you could get a paleo partner for this but for me and Kumamoto's kids you are our Paleo partner.

Thank you very much every one, and see you for the next san.... hop hop hop, wait a minute... *reading once again the greeting card* 

Hum hum *clearing my voice*.

It seems that this this gift was send by a really kind TFF member who decided to be my stand-in Santa which means...

See you on the next episode of "2017 secret Santa Gift Exchange" (if japanese customs are kind enough :P)

5 minutes ago, Monica said:

@David in Japan Your daughter is adorable!!!!!!!!!!  Does she love fossils, too?

She is still young but yes she already loves fossils and dinosaurs.  I can't wait for her to be big enough so we can go together fossil hunting!

27 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

So what kind of cool things my Secret Santa send me?

5a576e1b7cc23_fossiles2modif.thumb.jpg.dd90ce9351df9accdf269a9274ab3d7e.jpg

I LOVE brachiopod and particularly spirifer. I own some Rhynchonella I found in France but no spirifer yet. This is for me an exceptionnal addition to my personal collection, thank you.

fossiles1modif.thumb.jpg.8713055ae5f8a7058ce381ddb3d1a80f.jpg

Really neat bivalve inprint from Ordovician. As I collect mainly cretaceous fossils (because the closest formation are cretaceous), fossils from other period are always really interesting for me.

fossiles3modif.thumb.jpg.7e9f579776c31cf63b7bc03e0d9eb82f.jpg

If my Secret Santa doesn't mind, this fossil will go to the museum where I will use it for educationnal purpose. Want to show kids some cool things about ammonite/Nautiloid and I am sure they will be amazed to discover that Nautiloid were not always coiled animals.

fossiles4modif.thumb.jpg.d971725df680f2a2607d04245938163b.jpg

I will use this one too at the museum to show kids "ammonite's ancestor". 

I am really excited by this one but I will have to be carefull because during japanese summer, humidity rate exceed 65%.

I would like to thank you my stand-in Santa claus for the very cool fossils adn card he or she send me, I am really enjoying all these fossils and if one day you come by Kumamoto in Japan, you will be able to enjoy it at the museum too (just like some fossils my last SS send me in 2015 and 2016).

I don't know if you could get a paleo partner for this but for me and Kumamoto's kids you are our Paleo partner.

Thank you very much every one, and see you for the next san.... hop hop hop, wait a minute... *reading once again the greeting card* 

Hum hum *clearing my voice*.

It seems that this this gift was send by a really kind TFF member who decided to be my stand-in Santa which means...

See you on the next episode of "2017 secret Santa Gift Exchange" (if japanese customs are kind enough :P)

Hi David!

I'm sure that your Secret Santa would be okay with you donating some of the items to your museum.  In fact, if you'd like a few more orthoconic nautiloid specimens, I'm sure that your stand-in Secret Santa would be happy to send them to you :)

Monica

@David in Japan woohoo! Finally!!! Great fossils :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I have a feeling those aren't the ones from Alberta. This saga may not be over yet.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, David in Japan said:

This year Secret Santa gift exchange was rich of new developments

No traffic jam, no accident, everything was perfect however the closer I get to the museum, the darker the sky became and some big snow flakes started to fall.

First day snowy day of the year.

Was it a sign that today won't be like everyday? I don't know, maybe...

So I arrived at my workplace.

And as usually said hello to Franck, our guardian.

I just said "good morning", but this morning Franck wasn't in a good mood and grouched. Maybe he needed more coffee at breakfast or maybe he didn't understand the joke about his forearm.

Anyway, between you and me, Franck is a good guardian but he is creepy, always looking at you like you are some piece of meat. Gives me goose bump.:(

Then I started my shift. I won't give you more details about this, it is just an uninteresting place full of old bones, robot dinos, and Girls/Guys really into rocks and extinct flora/faunaNot the most exciting part of the story I think.Worked 8 hours and came back home where my princess was waiting for me with a letter pack.:raindance:I was excited, she was excited.

I looked at her, she looked at me, kicked my leg and said "Papa, I want some potato chips!":shrug:

Ok but first let's open this package.

We opened the letter and inside was:

1 greeting card and 4 fossils.

My 3 years old daughter and I felt in love:wub: immediately wih the piece of art one of Santa Claus' elf leaved inside the greeting card.

Drawing, colors, spangles, everything is perfect!

Then we opened the fossils and she forgot about the potato chips :P

Well, the story was worth the wait, David, and your princess is very sweet! 

So are your cockatiel and Francke. 

So happy something arrived for you. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you all !