Octopus?

doug10k

So far I have one expert's classification as Lepidasterella, from that same 1915 bulletin, and a recommendation to take it to a museum for safe keeping.  Which is fine - I would be delighted if this ends up at Smithsonian or similar, preferably on display rather than in a box in storage...

Still waiting on other opinions.

• I found this Informative 2

On 10/23/2017 at 3:27 PM, Rockwood said:

If my understanding of the situation is correct, one would not expect to see much of any external features in this fossil. It represents to a greater extent a cast of it's internal fluid cavity, the hydraulic system which operated it's tube feet. 

So I gather from what you are saying, you believe  we are seeing a cast of the radial canal structure with ampullae rather than the endoskeletal ossicles. Is that correct? 

I guess in my my mind I would have thought the ossicles would have survived better. I honestly can’t remember way back to when I had to dissect a starfish in biology class. Also I know nothing about the fossil literature on other examples and what was found of them.

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

So I gather from what you are saying, you believe  we are seeing a cast of the radial canal structure with ampullae rather than the endoskeletal ossicles. Is that correct? 

It's also partially an external mold. I don't believe there is a substantial percentage of the body fossil left.