Dino poo?

Malone

It was highly polished in relation to the surrounding rock. The area I am in is scattered with fossils. As well as many unusual leftovers from the local steel mill i.e. Variety of metals and different combinations of geological material. Here is one picture I sent to a paleontologist at boulder. I thought it was dinosaur tail.lol 

IMG_3029.JPG

The lady paleontologist Tonia? ( started with a c) said she showed it to four other paleontologist and they decided it igneous rock. It's magnetic. It shows high heat signs . I thought it might be slag of the rim of a crucible.

Edited by Malone
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

It was highly polished in relation to the surrounding rock. 

Because it is a harder stone. Does not make it a gastrolith.

3 minutes ago, Malone said:

The area I am in is scattered with fossils

What type of fossils? 

Gastroliths are found in dinosaurs and birds only.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Because it is a harder stone. Does not make it a gastrolith.

What type of fossils? 

Gastroliths are found in dinosaurs and birds only.

Baculite mesa and florrisant fossil beds are right down the road.

No on being harder than surrounding rock. It's qaurtz and other river rock average 5 to 7.5 on the mohs . It's shinier than the exact same rock in the same location . 

The only thing that is indicative of a gastrolith, other than being found next to a pile of poo or proximity to a fossilized dinosaur, is sheen?

After further questioning of google  There has been proven etching from stomach acid but there was nothing saying how to detect the etching that I could find. Any suggestions on detecting etched gastroliths?

16 hours ago, Malone said:

Hi GeshWhat. I was wondering if this could possibly be a gastrolith? The reason I was wondering was due to the smoothness of  the fractured areas giving the appearance of wrinkles differentiating it from other rock in the same area.

I agree with @ynot. The only way to know if you have a gastrolith is if you found it with body fossils (bones).

You second piece looks far to granular to be coprolite, but that could be because it needs a good scrubbing. You might want to scrub it with a soft tooth brush and reshoot your photos. 

I'm not seeing anything on the 3rd specimen that would lead me to believe it is a coprolite.

:(

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I agree with @ynot. The only way to know if you have a gastrolith is if you found it with body fossils (bones).

You second piece looks far to granular to be coprolite, but that could be because it needs a good scrubbing. You might want to scrub it with a soft tooth brush and reshoot your photos. 

I'm not seeing anything on the 3rd specimen that would lead me to believe it is a coprolite.

:(

I'll clean it good then post the pictures again.I believe there is hair in the second piece and a claw in the first. Thank you for responding!

Not a coprolite. It's granular all the way through. Some kind of conglomerate both the second and third pieces. They both contain organic materials but are made of sand grains. Strange. Thank you for your help 

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/8/2018 at 10:38 PM, ynot said:

Sorry, but that is not a coprolite either.

You were correct! Yesterday I cracked open one the two rocks I posted pictures of after the initial post. It was granular all the way through. After researching I discovered this area West of Pueblo used to be a shoreline this probably is sandstone from the old beach. Pretty neat! Thank you for your responses! Your input is valuable to me in determining a reasonable reality of what these items that I find are.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Plax said:

sharp close up shots of the white and dark spots would be helpful.

This seems to be the closest up my camera will take.

IMG_3200.JPG

the dark colored bits have a vertebrate fossil look to them. Hopefully some one with experience with rocks from your area will be of more use identifying your rocks

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, teeth or bits of bone by the look of them. 

Ina sandstone breccio-conglomerate.

The white bits could be calcite infillings of holes left when another mineral dissolved away.

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png