Jaimin013

19 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Deinonychus antirrhopus

Cretaceous (Aptian-Albian)

Cloverly Formation

Sheridan County, Wyoming

Size: 0.35” 

Thanks @Runner64 for the tooth! Really nice! Now I just need a Dakotaraptor, Utahraptor, Bambiraptor a few others! :D Wish I could find a Velociraptor tooth but the only person that I think has one is @jpc

5c6f454167c25_Deinonychuscombined-redo-resize.thumb.jpg.a00f828ef60a0f175a6efdb85b6a4f1e.jpg   5c6f3c22c6e68_Deinonychuscombined2-resize.thumb.jpg.7ff014792eadb06a2f4fe46fd624a5a2.jpg

Perfect glad it arrived ok! And one thing to note about the Cloverly formation in Sheridan county is that it is one of the few places that produces black fossils. IF I can find the paper again, I’ll send it your way.

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Runner64 said:

Perfect glad it arrived ok! And one thing to note about the Cloverly formation in Sheridan county is that it is one of the few places that produces black fossils. IF I can find the paper again, I’ll send it your way.

Ok cool I didn't know that. Yes please if you can find it send it to me that would great, thanks!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

... and it is not for sale, sorry.  

I know it is not for sale, I was merely just pointing that out because when I ran a search on the forum for Velociraptor tooth your post showed up.

Interesting.  I am surprised there are no others out there.  Or does no one want to admit they have a fossil from Mongolia?  (I was gifted mine when I was there way back in the 90's).  

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

Interesting.  I am surprised there are no others out there.  Or does no one want to admit they have a fossil from Mongolia?  (I was gifted mine when I was there way back in the 90's).  

Possibly others have them but just don't want to mention which is totally fine. That is really cool though you got it as a gift though, very nice of the person :dinothumb:

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Nice added from super localities.  Great part of your collection.

Thanks @Troodon now I just need to figure out how to display them with the rest of my collection, the hard part haha :D :Confused:

Just a quick update on the layout with any new teeth added. @Runner64 Needs a lot of work but I need to start using other rikers. Just realised I spelt appalachiosaurus wrong on the label whoops I will need to correct that at some point!

20190222_212327-edit-brighten-resize.jpg

Some of the small teeth placed in separate smaller riker.

20190222_213957-resize.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

I really really like the set up! The big riker looks very impressive and looks very organized. Might need to go buy another one now :) 

44 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I really really like the set up! The big riker looks very impressive and looks very organized. Might need to go buy another one now :) 

Thanks Matt! It's hard making the big riker work and took me ages (2+ hrs which included time for cutting labels etc) however if you stare at your teeth long enough, you will eventually figure out a layout that works! I will definitely need to buy another riker if my collection keeps expanding at this rate however currently i'm just using some of my small rikers that came with some of my teeth like the one above. I don't think i'll buy another the size of the biggest one but maybe a size down :D

20 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks Matt! It's hard making the big riker work and took me ages (2+ hrs which included time for cutting labels etc) however if you stare at your teeth long enough, you will eventually figure out a layout that works! I will definitely need to buy another riker if my collection keeps expanding at this rate however currently i'm just using some of my small rikers that came with some of my teeth like the one above. I don't think i'll buy another the size of the biggest one but maybe a size down :D

Well can not have too many rikers I suppose :) it’s a nice set up and I really like the labels and everything with it

11 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Well can not have too many rikers I suppose :) it’s a nice set up and I really like the labels and everything with it

Thanks!! :D

Beautiful display with a lot of awesome teeth :)

Got a bit of a newbish question regarding these riker displays. 

Is this intended to hang on a wall or just to stand upright or would the teeth than all fall down? Or is everything only in place when it's laid down?

So a couple of weeks ago a person I know went to Tuscon and bought me back associated juvenile Dimetrodon jaw sections with five teeth visible and an Edmontosaurus vertebra (possibly a cardial vertebra rather than a dorsal vertebra - I am no expert so correct me if I am wrong). Unfortunately due to the item not being packed more carefully or a lack of care taken by the popular courier company (who I shall not name) albeit a clear 'Fragile - handle with care' sticker, the fossils ended up being received broken. I can only presume that in transit, the weight of the vertebra (as it wasn't separated from the dimetrodon) crushed the lid of the gem jar housing the jaw sections causing various bits to break off from both items. The issue I had was that because the items were not separated properly, fragments of both pieces ended up being mixed together with one another...sooo today I decided to spend my Saturday attempting to repair both fossils the best that I could. There was an increased difficulty in re-attaching the dimetrodon parts due to the fossil being so tiny and the gloves making it really difficult to handle the very small pieces. At one point, I just gave up using gloves because I couldn't grip the pieces and resulted in used my hands. In hindsight, I should have used Tweezers made from plastic due to the fragile teeth and parts of the jaw. Lesson learnt after the struggle and I will most likely try this next time.

So here it goes with a pictures to show you the process and the end result...

Repair of the Dimetrodon jaw sections

Dimetrodon sp.
Lower Permian
Archer city formation, Archer county, Texas

Below is are photos sent to me at Tuscon.

001.thumb.jpg.70695df1a6ae3ed9d7f71883ab730f42.jpg002.thumb.jpeg.0849f6f2b5a114d1678a6c12380ca70a.jpeg

Below is how the jaw arrived to me. Some parts of the jaw are not shown in these pictures as I had to try and find them amongst all of the mixed up broken pieces of jaw and vertebra.

003.thumb.jpeg.d714bdacd2b7604d354436ae1a5c0538.jpeg

Using PaeloBond's adhesive (amazing product and highly recommended), I managed to look at the original pictures in an attempt to repair it. It took me more than 2hours + as the pieces were so tiny and hard to handle. At one point the gloves kept coming in the way of handling and the glue kept sticking to the gloves. I decided that I would disregard the gloves and ended up using my bare hands although at one point a tooth got stuck to my hand (thankfully it came off without damaging the tooth or my hand haha!).

Below is a photo of the parts joined back together. There is a portion that is missing (highlighted in yellow - second pic) but I will need to find that piece within the rubble or just give up. There is also a gap between the jaw and one of the teeth (circled) as I had difficulty joining the two surfaces flush with each other. In a couple of weeks, I may try round two by carefully removing the two parts using acetone or something and try to reattach this using tweezers to see if I can find a better fit.

004.thumb.jpg.f5d913989f5508cac3fb7f247e81c394.jpg

Stupidly, I packed everything up and later realised that I was missing a piece above the jaw (circled below including the part of the jaw underneath the circle - you can see the crack where it was joined to the rest of the jaw). Thankfully I was able to locate these parts within the packaging not too far away from the broken pieces of vertebra.
004a.thumb.jpg.3dfaec2cd66cd5130d7f6ecf6fcf600c.jpg 

Before applying any glue, I could see that this part would fit fairly well back together (see below) so I got the glue out again and re-attached.

005.thumb.jpg.eb4dccbc6fcdb4020a5f8ceff5333e39.jpg

Here is the outcome. Although there is a small part missing under a tooth I am mostly really happy with it!

006.thumb.jpg.5a0a4186d6758ca8bb2f811d22900720.jpg

Repair of the Edmontosaurus vertebra

Edmontosaurus annectens caudal vertebra
Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian)
Hell Creek formation, Montana

Here is a before picture of the vertebra at Tuscon.

007.jpeg008.jpeg

Here is how it arrived to me. You can see from the photo below that I think one of the parts that snapped is a chevron from the caudal vertebra rather than a dorsal rib from a dorsal vertebra.

009.jpeg

The part circled in yellow below (the crack) is the part that chipped off from the chevron and once that was joined back on, I had to re-attach the end of the chevron to the main part of the vertebra.

010.thumb.jpg.225933567472814ddc02ea76d90f3827.jpg011.thumb.jpg.6b89ab6903ec1791c90490592ab873bd.jpg

Unfortunately even after the repair, there are bits from the chevron (see example below) that I don't think that I will be able to locate easily or at all within the broken pieces. Ideally I would like to find these parts and glue them back on but I don't want to spend hours perhaps days trying to locate and figure out how to fit it back in place. What makes it more difficult is that this smaller part circled may have broken into even smaller pieces so it's likely to be unrecoverable. I don't think that I will crack fill this portion either.

013.thumb.jpg.e45715c18a7ccd71884c28b624e4d2ec.jpg

Below are the little pieces that I am left with after the repair process and I can't realistically do anything with them but I have kept them in a plastic container for safekeeping although it is probably not worth keeping. Most of the leftover pieces and a Zygapophyses (the big chunk at the top of the plastic container) circled in yellow below are pieces which I believe are from the underside of the vertebra which is missing on the right hand side.

014.thumb.jpg.2aab0bb4f59a51fb33845a0c0a2fbd9c.jpg015.thumb.jpg.dc5edb5e3087785647f29ae9d0481747.jpg

016.thumb.jpg.0674f6bffb8b5792ae1affe7e82ec8b0.jpg16b.thumb.jpg.e2655d8c37ba1920ddea549ee16a19a3.jpg

Nevertheless, here is the outcome and a very cool fossil :)

017a.thumb.jpg.75cc21d255ce97b65f9754ba2ea58900.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

45 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

Beautiful display with a lot of awesome teeth :)

Got a bit of a newbish question regarding these riker displays. 

Is this intended to hang on a wall or just to stand upright or would the teeth than all fall down? Or is everything only in place when it's laid down?

Thanks! Well i guess you could do either, lay flat or stand upright. It almost depending on the size of the teeth that are in the riker and the layer of padding within them. If you don't put enough in there, they could potentially fall down. I added some additional padding under mine to ensure that the teeth don't fall and somehow even the smaller teeth stay where they are. With the teeth that are in my big riker I have been able to hold it upright with no issues somehow but with some of my smaller rikers it's more of an issue. Personally I am more comfortable with sitting it flat on a surface as I don't want to risk damaging any of the teeth and would rather not have the teeth leaning towards the glass and potentially pressing against the surface of the glass when put upright. I have seen other people hang their rikers on walls and place them upright..

I've missed a few posts! 

Some nice new additions, plus i love the Riker mounts with all the labelled teeth.:)

And the repairs posts about the Dimetrodon and the Edmontosaurus.

What are the world's postal services doing at the moment?

I also had a dinosaur bone smashed to bits in the post recently.:(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

23 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I've missed a few posts! 

Some nice new additions, plus i love the Riker mounts with all the labelled teeth.:)

And the repairs posts about the Dimetrodon and the Edmontosaurus.

What are the world's postal services doing at the moment?

I also had a dinosaur bone smashed to bits in the post recently.:(

How was your trip? Thanks! I am not sure they can be very careless at times but it's also down to the seller to ensure that it is properly packed and therefore if the package does get thrown around there's less of a chance of it breaking. It does suck did you fix your dinosaur bone?

7 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

How was your trip? Thanks! I am not sure they can be very careless at times but it's also down to the seller to ensure that it is properly packed and therefore is the package does get thrown around there's less of a chance of it breaking. It does suck did you fix your dinosaur bone?

I don't have the time or ability at the moment. 

It was only a bonus with some other fossils I'd won in an auction here, the good stuff; brachiopods and corals etc. survived the trip. :D

Yes, had a great few days collecting, very successful. 

Details to follow as soon as i am able to get my act together. :)

I agree that the packaging is sometimes not acceptable. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I don't have the time or ability at the moment. 

It was only a bonus with some other fossils I'd won in an auction here, the good stuff; brachiopods and corals etc. survived the trip. :D

Yes, had a great few days collecting, very successful. 

Details to follow as soon as i am able to get my act together. :)

I agree that the packaging is sometimes not acceptable. 

Cool! Looking forward to the details :D

• 2 weeks later...

Carcharocles megalodon tooth

Savannah, Georgia

Measurements: Length One: 5.51", Length Two: 5.36", Width: 4.01"

This is a stunning tooth. The enamel and root could not be much nicer. The tip and serrations are super sharp and just about every serration is in place.

Meg tooth-resize.jpg

Meg tooth 2-resize.jpg

5c8d02adda358_Megtooth4onstand-resize.thumb.jpg.2213b223cb701638dd59a28d211ed355.jpg

Meg tooth 3-resize.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Absolutely beautiful shark tooth! I don't collect them but they can sure be beautiful and impressive looking.

Likely a Juvenile Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth (Small teeth are difficult to ID but the morphology matches that of a Trex so I would lean in that direction)

Hell Creek Formation

Size: 0.6 inches

5c963b39ed44f_JuvenileTrextooth-resize.thumb.jpg.74cd78446c50c1300c598a71eae90f7b.jpg

• I found this Informative 4