Inherited Some Tools etc.,

Kane

Spent 12 hours yesterday helping out to downsize a widow's house as she prepares to move. Her partner passed away in December, and he was a bit of a hoarder (an organized one, I should add: everything was meticulously labeled). He was a novelty sign maker and assembled novelty clocks, in addition to being a competent woodworker and a car aficionado. 

It took a team of us to fill up one of those enormous rental dumpster bins to the top, a few trailers, and there is still a few more loads to go. All of this stuff was being consigned to the dump, with some better items being put to the side by a family member who runs an auction business - proceeds going to the widow to assist in her move.

It would be a shame to see so many tools - a mark of this man's legacy - simply go off to the dump. A lot of this stuff is not for fossil prep at all, but one would be surprised how useful some tools and accessories can really come in handy to supplement one's designated fossil prep stuff.

First up, storage solutions for smaller fossils. The double-faced case meant for storing nuts, bolts, nails, etc., has adjustable compartments. The classic nails, screws unit is also ideal for storing small fossils.

IMG_4917.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A motley of tools.

1. The big varnish brush will obviously have its uses to clear debris/dust, if not also applying consolidant. The little disposable brushes are good for removing dust/debris from very tiny areas.

2. The sand blaster is not for specimen prep (nozzle is too large), but will be used for matrix sculpting.

3. Tiny screwdriver set is useful for hand prep in terms of having a tiny chisel end.

4. Awls are overall useful, and their sharp points can be employed for a variety of purposes.

5. The adjustable grey stand/clamp will be great for keeping some fossils in place at the right angle for prep.

6. Digital calipers are good for measuring thickness of a specimen that may prove too awkward to do with a ruler or tape measure.

7. After a multi-day dig, I discovered the virtue of needing a knife in the field. The sheathed fishing knife may work in a pinch, so is added to the collecting kit.

IMG_4918.JPG

1. I swear by sticky tack. Not only good for positioning small bits and pieces for gluing, but also as a temporary fastener.

2. Various big Dremel sanding heads for matrix sculpting and to get rid of unsightly scribe marks.

3. Glue gun and glue sticks can also function as a temporary fastener.

IMG_4919.JPG

And finally...

1. A vast collection of scrapers, putty knives, and almost more exacto blades than one can count (including unopened packs of blade refills). This bin goes fairly deep, so I should have a lifetime supply here.

2. Another deep bin of sandpaper, sanding sponges, and refills for a hand sander as well as a sanding belt. The hand sander will prove most useful in the end stage of sharpening some tools after rasping. 

So in all, having all these low-tech solutions on hand supplements the more precision tools for fossil preparation. They are basic, but definitely come in handy for all sorts of prep scenarios where the best tool for the job is the right tool. As I have a huge backlog of prep work after last week's dig, I shouldn't be encountering those situations where I catch myself saying, " I really wish I had x for this stage in the process."

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

The only problem is that, since you have all these new tools, Deb will want you doing things around the house and you won't have time to collect or prep.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

47 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

The only problem is that, since you have all these new tools, Deb will want you doing things around the house and you won't have time to collect or prep.

LOL! I think I disabused her some while ago of any thought that I might be handy in any way. Unless it involves lifting or breaking things, she can call on her brothers to fix things around here. :D 

Gotta love freebies!

Use them in good health!

;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I give the deceased gent a moment of silence for his trans dimensional generosity.   You lucky man.