When you got the prep bug

Haravex

So I really enjoy prep work so while I was over in Morocco last I picked up some unprepared ones and with the help of a good friend John who sent me over some dolomoite I think it's going not too bad feedback is always welcome positive or negative, the first two are trilobits which was great to get a feel on how prepping this sort of fossil work the second one is a full trilo but was missing a section from where it had been split.

Thanks Matt 

PSX_20180804_161222.jpg

PSX_20180804_161134.jpg

PSX_20180808_174539.jpg

PSX_20180808_174519.jpg

PSX_20180808_174507.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Good work so far! I'm envious that you have this kind of material to prep!

You just want to be careful not to over-blast the shell. You may have some issues on the left side where the crack runs, so you may want to stabilize the shell around there so that it doesn't flake off under abrasion. The upper axis might also be a bit tricky. How firm is the matrix? I could see prodding the sticky bits with a pin vise first to see if they'll dislodge. Your trenching work is great, and so you won't need to scribe off much more around the bug, as you don't want to undercut those pleurae.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I can send 1 or two over if you want to pay postage maybe. The matrix I just wet with water to remove the dolomite dust, but it's a medium limestone I would say fizzes under vinegar.

Nice! Love the detail on the cephalons of those guys.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Only got an half hour in today mainly cleaning up the tail (pygidium) Hopefully should be finished tomorrow.

PSX_20180810_160230.jpg

PSX_20180810_160303.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

After this one is finished more than likely by Sunday will begin prepping this one hopefully live stream it, any input as to what species it might be would be great as it will then give me an idea what to look out for.

PSX_20180810_162158.jpg

PSX_20180810_162216.jpg

So far I got it down as the possible Zlichovaspis, Metacanthina, Hollardops or Coltraneia.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ok so without further knowledge this is a rough plan of action basically where the tail is going to prep around that by digging a trench just need to know if it is one of the species that have the tail spikes otherwise will end up taking of a ton of matrix or move to close to the fossil and potentially damage it. Go your information I have very little knowledge on these creatures other than they have a head, body and tail.

PSX_20180810_194704.jpg

PSX_20180810_194721.jpg

You're gluing them together before prepping, I hope?

Your plan of attack seems ok, but I would "skim" with the scribe and work down. If it is an asteropyginae, you should see the termination of the lappets coming up soon. Of course, keep some super glue handy!

• I found this Informative 1

Yes absolutely I am gluing before prep work hence forth the red marker just before the main body of the fossil, this helps in identifying if I get too close and obviously this can be done only before re-gluing back together. I tried looking up "asteropyginae" but couldn't find a clear definition of this, granted I got some results but nothing that made any real sense to me.

Thanks Matt

8 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Yes absolutely I am gluing before prep work hence forth the red marker just before the main body of the fossil, this helps in identifying if I get too close and obviously this can be done only before re-gluing back together. I tried looking up "asteropyginae" but couldn't find a clear definition of this, granted I got some results but nothing that made any real sense to me.

Thanks Matt

The asteropyginae trilobites have "starry butts" :P, which is to say that have spines or lappets fringing their pygidia. Coltraneia sp., Hollardops (Metacanthina) sp., etc., are part of that subfamily, Family Acastidae.  

• I found this Informative 3

This information helps thanks Kane now if only I could determinate how long their lappets are :hearty-laugh:

7 minutes ago, Haravex said:

This information helps thanks Kane now if only I could determinate how long their lappets are :hearty-laugh:

It can be tricky! That being said, if you proceed slowly, working down from the top, you'll see each lappet and where it should terminate by extrapolating the angle. They are roughly triangular, so that should help! They may curve, like claws. Here are some of my Devonian Moroccan bugs with the lappets, and one as a closeup of Greenops I collected from here in Canada: 

fullsizeoutput_3ee.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3fd.jpeg

IMG_4501.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

One thing that might help is there seems to be a slight texture of what I call nubs these are significantly smaller than that of the head of the first trilobite but has the same appearance hopefully you can see it in the image I've attached.

PSX_20180810_205641.jpg

Trenching, lappets and 'skimming'.  I learn something everyday on this forum and today, 3 things.  Very interesting thread this one.  @Haravex, youve got some really good advise here.  looking forward to seeing the finishes results.  I have always wanted to prep out some moroccan trilo's, just never gotten around to aquiring some.  Good luck man.

Ron

35 minutes ago, RJB said:

Trenching, lappets and 'skimming'.  I learn something everyday on this forum and today, 3 things.  Very interesting thread this one.  @Haravex, youve got some really good advise here.  looking forward to seeing the finishes results.  I have always wanted to prep out some moroccan trilo's, just never gotten around to aquiring some.  Good luck man.

Ron

Given your supreme skills at crabs, I'm sure if you turned that to trilobites you'd put a lot of us to shame! But they usually tend to be smaller than what you are used to with those lovely concs. :D 

Ok so only a little update finished off the drotops/phacops trilobite (which I forgot to photograph) and started a little work on the unknown spiny one I feel it's most likely second to bottom of the images kane posted.

PSX_20180817_145017.jpg

17 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Found the left general spine however disappointed in myself that I've dinged it a little.

It happens. What are you using for magnification?

71-IMd6pEDL._SL1500_.jpg

They are actually kinda counter productive tho as you have to get super close to your subject and they are monocular so they give no depth of vision I flip it down have a look prep with the naked eye then go back to them just to keep checking.

6 hours ago, Haravex said:

71-IMd6pEDL._SL1500_.jpg

They are actually kinda counter productive tho as you have to get super close to your subject and they are monocular so they give no depth of vision I flip it down have a look prep with the naked eye then go back to them just to keep checking.

Even the cheapest stereo microscope would do worlds for you. Inadequate magnification is the bane of the prepper. You’re doing an amazing job with what you have.

For anything small, I stick with 10x on the stereo scope. The difference is amazing and the binocular set up allows you to retain your depth perception.

• I found this Informative 2