When you got the prep bug

Haravex

So here is the thing I've been looking at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solomark-Stereo-Microscope-Magnifications-Smartphone/dp/B06XP8D4G9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534608096&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=stereo+microscope&psc=1 but don't know if i would be adequate enough and even though it might seem cheap right now money is very tight.

You want a “dissection” microscope. Rather than an “inspection” microscope. The suite tray on this scope will get in the way and the working distance will probably not be enough with this one.

• I found this Informative 1

Amscope has some of the least expensive options but all are significantly more than 100 gbp.

l started off with a visor magnification. It has 2 separate lenses in the insert so you have binocular vision. They are relatively inexpensive and working distance isn’t too bad.

1028860F-944B-4F13-9332-D78495F0F56C.jpeg.e853c85eb58b128bcb46a323968063ea.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

23 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Amscope has some of the least expensive options but all are significantly more than 100 gbp.

l started off with a visor magnification. It has 2 separate lenses in the insert so you have binocular vision. They are relatively inexpensive and working distance isn’t too bad.

1028860F-944B-4F13-9332-D78495F0F56C.jpeg.e853c85eb58b128bcb46a323968063ea.jpeg

I should pick up one of these if I'm going to continue prepping. The two fish I've done were with a naked eye and they came out ok, so imagine how they would come out if I had one of these puppies :D

5 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

I should pick up one of these if I'm going to continue prepping. The two fish I've done were with a naked eye and they came out ok, so imagine how they would come out if I had one of these puppies :D

Yep. I don’t prep anything without magnification. You can’t properly control where the tool goes without it.

Eye/ear/lung protection and magnification are all required for any prep.

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Even the cheapest stereo microscope would do worlds for you. Inadequate magnification is the bane of the prepper. You’re doing an amazing job with what you have.

For anything small, I stick with 10x on the stereo scope. The difference is amazing and the binocular set up allows you to retain your depth perception.

+1

Small update mainly clearing off the excessive matrix on the left side. I also have a very similar visor magnification only goes up to 3.5x but has helped a bit.

Thanks Matt

PSX_20180819_175251.jpg

PSX_20180819_175910.jpg

Liking good Matt. No matter what, your skills will only improve as you continue. Keep it up.

The microscope is a big investment but pays dividends in the prep quality. There’s no way I could tease the details out of some of the stuff I prep without one. Some of the fish I see have bones as thin as a hair and are hard to see unaided even after preparation.

I saved for quite some time to be able to afford even the modest scope I have for prep. 1 income, family of 4... there’s an equation that factors out to never any free funds!

Thanks pty your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated, also if you know of anyone looking to sell a second hand microscope to upgrade drop me a line. Also I should comment more but your prep work is amazing.

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

Thanks pty your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated, also if you know of anyone looking to sell a second hand microscope to upgrade drop me a line. Also I should comment more but your prep work is amazing.

Thanks for the compliment. I just remembered that I have an old stereo microscope that might help you out. I’ll PM you some pics.

31 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the compliment. I just remembered that I have an old stereo microscope that might help you out. I’ll PM you some pics.

That would be amazing if you can.

So decided to wait on finishing the Hollardops until I get a microscope for the time however the 3.5 magnification is good for prep on the common shaped ones, like this one will be able to 're attach it back to the matrix sadly he decided he wanted to break free.

PSX_20180821_121834.jpg

PSX_20180821_121851.jpg

PSX_20180821_121905.jpg

PSX_20180821_121924.jpg

:dinothumb::dinothumb: very nice.  I love the way it looks hanging onto the matrix!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Thank you all now for a question does anyone know what species this might be thinking of prepping tomorrow if it's not going to be too difficult. It's in 3 pieces by the way.

Thanks Matt

PSX_20180821_211409.jpg

PSX_20180821_211443.jpg

PSX_20180821_211512.jpg

I'll guess it will be another phacopid judging by the eye size and the inflated glabella (with tubercles). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I just looked up phacopid is a huge family from drotops to holadrops what worries me about this one is this pictured is that a spiky general spine or something else?

thinking.jpg