INVITE - Annual pilgrimage through NY

DevonianDigger

Thanks for the kind words dave!! @Darktooth. It was great meeting everyone and to top it off I found 3 awesome trilobites today :) . It was great talking with people like @Fossildude19 @Sjfriend @snakebite6769 @Mediospirifer @Peat Burns And it was fun seeing @Kane and @DevonianDigger rip apart DSR hah. I’ll post some pics tomorrow. I also got gifts from Dave which was really nice of him. I’ll post a pic of the gifts too tomorrow. @Jeffrey P was a wealth of knowledge and was great to talk to and he also had a “freebie” box that I grabbed a few fossils from. Thanks Jeff! 

Ill follow up with finds and pics tomorrow 57FF8FC7-732C-4BE7-9060-9F45B9EA984B.jpeg.e6b21f643281cba5caf458120ce8a3c1.jpeg

I took a pano at DSR but it won’t fit so it’s split in 2. Can you name everyone? Lol B9F1F96A-5201-4D03-8B00-A1B1252490BE.jpeg.c4142679bcf0448dbb952dc9d5742c97.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks to everyone who got out there today. It was nice meeting all of you!

Al, thanks for the eurypterid bits! Not necessary, but gratefully accepted! 

Tony, thank you for the shirt and the Fish! It will be fun to prep out, I'm sure. 

It was great to meet Forum folks out there, despite the snow squalls! 

A few nice finds were made, and I will get some pictures up as soon as the fossils are cleaned up. 

Thanks again Darktooth Dave for getting this successful meet up together.  :)  (We missed you at DSR, buddy!  :shakehead:  :(  S'okay though, we understand! ;)  )

EDIT: Exhausted, 16 hour day long me forgot to thank Kane, for the awesome drawing of a fossil Knightia eocaena, last night ! 

Much confounding and frustrating work went into that masterpiece. :default_faint::blink:  (Photos forthcoming!)

And a wonderful birthday gift it is. It is destined for a wall in my study!  B)

My heartfelt thanks to you, my friend!  :)    

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh yea this was the Briggs rd crew....might be missing a few people......that place is awesome! You will see why tomorrow :) 

BAF8250E-C050-4084-8242-577752E25FBE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

12 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thank-you so much Al! I would also like to mention that Al had found my Estwing rock pick hammer the last time he was at Briggs. I had left it there in the fall but didnt realize it until I looked in my garage for it a week or 2 later. At that point I figured it was gone. So today he reunited it with me. I was very happy since it was a Birthday gift from last year from my parents! Thanks again Al, you are really a stand up guy.:thumbsu:

Below a couple trilobites Al gave me. I can't remember the name or were they are from. 

20190427_185527.jpg

Could be Black Cat Mtn, Oklahoma or that area?

• I found this Informative 1

This was a fun day! Despite the cold. A rich fossil site and good company! :D

Mr. Spirifer and I made it home safely. I hope everyone else did, too!

We'll have to have another outing sometime when the weather is warmer!

Great to meet up with everyone, and just sad that I missed Dave and that Mike couldn’t be with us. I didn’t take any photos, so I’m glad Al could play shutterbug. I came away with so-so finds, giving most of them to others as I already collected most of the major fauna last year. Despite some brief and spectacular snow, the weather was much better than the day before. Breaking rocks and the lively banter are reason enough to brave the elements out in the boonies.

Thanks to all who came, and to Tim for the goodies, Jeffrey for his grab box, and to Tony for the amazing chunk o’ trike that I’m not going to unwrap until I get home!

My trip continues with one more trilo hunt today, and then back over the border to home tomorrow.

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Tony, thank you for the shirt and the Fish! It will be fun to prep out, I'm sure. 

A few nice finds were made, and I will get some pictures up as soon as the fossils are cleaned up. 

Thanks again Darktooth Dave for getting this successful meet up together.  :)  (We missed you at DSR, buddy!  :shakehead:  :(  S'okay though, we understand! ;)   )

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Great to meet up with everyone, and just sad that I missed Dave and that Mike couldn’t be with us. I didn’t take any photos, so I’m glad Al could play shutterbug. I came away with so-so finds, giving most of them to others as I already collected most of the major fauna last year. Despite some brief and spectacular snow, the weather was much better than the day before. Breaking rocks and the lively banter are reason enough to brave the elements out in the boonies.

Thanks to all who came, and to Tim for the goodies, Jeffrey for his grab box, and to Tony for the amazing chunk o’ trike that I’m not going to unwrap until I get home!

My trip continues with one more trilo hunt today, and then back over the border to home tomorrow.

Tim and Kane, believe me when I say I wish I could have stayed longer to see you guys as well. I had originally planned on staying for the whole day. Over the past month or so I started having a slight problem with my transmission, that progressively, got worse. If my friend Mike, didnt agree to drive I wouldnt even of made it to Briggs. Though still driveable for now, I dont think the transmission would of handled the hills of Madison County! Maybe the next time you are out at PD I can meet you out there. I still need to hunt there at some point.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Tim and Kane, believe me when I say I wish I could have stayed longer to see you guys as well. I had originally planned on staying for the whole day. Over the past month or so I started having a slight problem with my transmission, that progressively, got worse. If my friend Mike, didnt agree to drive I wouldnt even of made it to Briggs. Though still driveable for now, I dont think the transmission would of handled the hills of Madison County! Maybe the next time you are out at PD I can meet you out there. I still need to hunt there at some point.

Would be great to see you at PD — you would love it. Kudos on the newer wheels... The Camry is a tough car to kill, and can take a lot of punishment. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here are a couple trilos that I brought home from yesterday's hunt. I spent a fair amount of time of digging in a very weathered portion of the pit. There were plenty of trilo parts and pieces but only a few worthy to keep. The 2 that I did keep will be used for prep practice if and when I find the time.

20190428_162430.jpg

I gave Tony a decent bivalve that popped out of the matrix and Randy I gave a small complete Greenops with a little cephalon damage. Greenops are rare at Briggs. Here is a little roller that I kept. Maybe I can expose more of it.

20190428_162441.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

These were just a couple samples of the uncleaned, unprepped finds we found yesterday. Unfortunately I had a big go live at work last night so after 6 hours of digging in the snow and meeting up with a lot of great forum members, i drove 3 hrs home then dialed into work until 5:30 this morning so i havent had time to do more than unpack the car.  Thank you all for a great time despite the weather and i look forward to future meet up opportunities 

• I found this Informative 2

On 4/27/2019 at 10:37 PM, Al Tahan said:

Thanks for the kind words dave!! @Darktooth. It was great meeting everyone and to top it off I found 3 awesome trilobites today :) . It was great talking with people like @Fossildude19 @Sjfriend @snakebite6769 @Mediospirifer @Peat Burns And it was fun seeing @Kane and @DevonianDigger rip apart DSR hah. I’ll post some pics tomorrow. I also got gifts from Dave which was really nice of him. I’ll post a pic of the gifts too tomorrow. @Jeffrey P was a wealth of knowledge and was great to talk to and he also had a “freebie” box that I grabbed a few fossils from. Thanks Jeff! 

Ill follow up with finds and pics tomorrow

57FF8FC7-732C-4BE7-9060-9F45B9EA984B.jpeg.e6b21f643281cba5caf458120ce8a3c1.jpeg

I took a pano at DSR but it won’t fit so it’s split in 2. Can you name everyone? Lol

B9F1F96A-5201-4D03-8B00-A1B1252490BE.jpeg.c4142679bcf0448dbb952dc9d5742c97.jpeg

So, I am the maroon-ish & white coat hunched over (on right in 1st, left-center 2nd. And then exactly same position at Briggs pic lol)

14 hours ago, RandyB said:

20190428_173452.jpg

Looks like the cephalon was there at one point!!! :envy:I’m still on the hunt for dipleura at DSR 

14 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Looks like the cephalon was there at one point!!! :envy:I’m still on the hunt for dipleura at DSR 

Patience, young Padawan.:zen:

Some nice finds Randy! Looking forward to seeing the rest.:popcorn:

Ok, a little help! Sorting to see what is worth shipping home and see this. What is it? Found during Briggs dig. Size is approximately .5cm

20190429_101832.jpg

On 4/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, Kane said:

...and a Dipleura cephalon.  Quite rare at PD. Jay and I called it a day shortly after that. Jay spotted this while we were going through the Bayview beds. We would have stayed on a bit longer but it was pouring with some wet snow... We were already soaked to the gills as the temps dropped.

1ADDC6F8-2B87-463D-BFF4-5735EDE95181.jpeg

Yeah those are not easy to find up there but I'm convinced someday you'll pull one complete specimen out. That Greenops looks really nice and so does the Bellacartwrightia. I'd hang onto that Bella and  coat it with a resin or some protective finish. Those are not easy to find. Well done!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 4/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks again Darktooth Dave for getting this successful meet up together.  :)  (We missed you at DSR, buddy!  :shakehead:  :(  S'okay though, we understand! ;)  )

EDIT: Exhausted, 16 hour day long me forgot to thank Kane, for the awesome drawing of a fossil Knightia eocaena, last night ! 

Much confounding and frustrating work went into that masterpiece. :default_faint::blink:  (Photos forthcoming!)

And a wonderful birthday gift it is. It is destined for a wall in my study!  B)

My heartfelt thanks to you, my friend!  :)    

Can you point me to his drawing of the K. eocaena? I'd love to see that!

On 3/7/2019 at 8:32 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Hello all!

It's almost spring, and that means it's time for @Kane and me to alter the geography of New York state once again!

Current plans are to start at Penn Dixie on April 26th, then off to the DSR area on Saturday. Sunday is a mystery still, but we're working on it. As always, anyone is welcome to come out and join in the destruction, er... fossil hunting.

Last year was a heck of a thing, lots of good stuff was found, and I think everyone had a pretty good time. 

@Pagurus, @JamesAndTheFossilPeach@Fossildude19@Malcolmt, @Jeffrey P (I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting off-hand.)

Man this sounds like loads of fun. Will run it by the wife. Would love to come out this weekend through next Monday. Probably won't be able to make it but I'll be digging vicariously through you all. :-)