Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

Wonder if coming from the other side would have been closer. :D Seriously though, looks good.. Deep, but good.

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 hours ago, daves64 said:

Wonder if coming from the other side would have been closer. :D Seriously though, looks good.. Deep, but good.

It’s about as close to the middle of the slab as possible. It is the deepest GRF fish I’ve prepped to date. Some parts I have trouble getting the microscope to focus on before it hits the glass of the box.

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Some parts I have trouble getting the microscope to focus on before it hits the glass of the box.

Tilt your head slightly to the right and close your left eye.  Your welcome.  :)

RB

• 2 weeks later...

42.25 hours later and this beast is finished. I thought I was going to have to take a mining safety course it was soooo deep in the rock. :P

The fins wound up being super flaky but otherwise, it was a dream prep, minus the giant slab it’s on. My back would get tired quick bending over it to reach the opposite side.

51403EF3-B2B1-45C7-855E-C49723FDB27F.thumb.jpeg.f4b782a1aff9f5bcd0190ee0262b227d.jpeg

• Enjoyed 14

You did an amazing job on that, Kris! I love how that fish looks.

I think I might attempt to display my chompers like that and post a pic (just joking). :D 

-Micah

45 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

You did an amazing job on that, Kris! I love how that fish looks.

I think I might attempt to display my chompers like that and post a pic (just joking). :D 

-Micah

Thanks! I think you should, that would be a good photo. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

Excellent work! Hope your back recovers a little before your next job :thumbsu:

Always wondered with thick slabs like that, what else is hiding in there? Need to find a way to see thru them :look: I know nothing with big bones as you'd be able to see the humps but something like insects or bird feather could easily hide in there. That's always what keeps me splitting rock until there's nothing left, the big what if!

• Thank You 1

Hi,

What a nice prep ! As usual !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks! I think you should, that would be a good photo. :default_rofl:

You think I should? I might be able to. However I am still trying to figure out the best way to do it... :D

-Micah

4 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Excellent work! Hope your back recovers a little before your next job :thumbsu:

Always wondered with thick slabs like that, what else is hiding in there? Need to find a way to see thru them :look: I know nothing with big bones as you'd be able to see the humps but something like insects or bird feather could easily hide in there. That's always what keeps me splitting rock until there's nothing left, the big what if!

My next couple of preps aren’t as involved. I have a big ammonite and some tiny echinoids. That’s quite a change of pace.

That being said, I’m working on a contract for a couple of huge projects, and they aren’t fish. :default_faint:More to come on a separate thread, hopefully next week. :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, fossilhunter21 said:

You think I should? I might be able to. However I am still trying to figure out the best way to do it... :D

Just book a seat next to Mike Tyson on a plane. He’ll take care of it for you.

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Just book a seat next to Mike Tyson on a plane. He’ll take care of it for you.

No thank you! :default_rofl: 

-Micah

Love the contrast of that dark fish against the light colored rock.  May I ask what the rock measurements are including thickness. 

RB

I like how deep it is in the rock. Kind of highlights and frames it and just makes it more dramatic at least to me....

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Love the contrast of that dark fish against the light colored rock.  May I ask what the rock measurements are including thickness. 

RB

The slab is 39”x37”x1” Fishy is smack in the middle at 1/2” deep and is 22” long

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Late to the party but sweet! Hopefully those echinoids coming up are easier to work with than your last project from me - at the very least they aren't covered in super glue and pyrite this time :default_rofl:

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

7 hours ago, Jared C said:

Late to the party but sweet! Hopefully those echinoids coming up are easier to work with than your last project from me - at the very least they aren't covered in super glue and pyrite this time :default_rofl:

Thanks, I delivered this fish to my client yesterday and they loved it!

I think they will be a breeze. I have one prep in the queue ahead of these and you're timing was good for sending them. I'll post pics later in the week on a different thread of the two new projects that entered the queue yesterday. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 year later...

Must seem like an easy prep after that bird?!  and did you feel like ending it all once you realized that dang diplo dorsal was messed up?  Just kidding.   A really nice multi plate

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Must seem like an easy prep after that bird?!  and did you feel like ending it all once you realized that dang diplo dorsal was messed up?  Just kidding.   A really nice multi plate

RB

It was a breeze! Really a nice change of pace. I knew the fins were going to be a mess when I found the jaws totally shifted. I was really surprised that the caudal fin was as good as it was. That dorsal really is a mess. The saving grace is the association of the 3 Cockerelites with it and the generally good scale preservation.

I guess another benefit is that the fish weren’t very deep. All 4 fish only took 15 hours to prep in total.

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It’s been a while since I’ve prepped a GRF fish. Here’s my most recent completed project.

Top class mate as ever. Nice to see you on this thread again.

BTW I sent funny little gift so look out for the postie.  

cheers Bobby