Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

2 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Looking very good! :popcorn: The preservation is very nice so far!

It’s a blessing and a curse. Good preservation means lots of scales that try to fly off. :duh2:

• I found this Informative 1

I’m almost finished with the first Mio. Generally speaking, it is very well preserved. The caudal fin gave me some real trouble last night. It got really flaky as I got close to the end.

EACE536C-7BEA-4A9A-9C80-3C8C72F0FF8A.thumb.jpeg.60c5ff677265ceae7d6da50e007a8544.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

That plate is looking very nice! :popcorn:You know whats funny? I just remembered that I don't even like popcorn! :default_rofl:

Edited by fossilhunter21

4 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I just remembered that I don't even like popcorn!

I like it but can't have it, consequences of dietary changes to control my diabetes rather than relying on a bunch of meds. :P

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I like it but can't have it, consequences of dietary changes to control my diabetes rather than relying on a bunch of meds. :P

I feel you (mostly)! I am allergic to a lot of things, some of the things I am deadly allergic to.

7 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I just remembered that I don't even like popcorn! 

Maybe it's a bag of cheese curds? :shrug:

• Enjoyed 1

29 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Maybe it's a bag of cheese curds? :shrug:

Dairy is actually one of the things I am allergic to, so I have no idea what a cheese curd tastes like. :P

I feel you (mostly)! I am allergic to a lot of things, some of the things I am deadly allergic to.

:default_faint:that stinks. I guess that takes some of the need for willpower away. :P Good thing you’re not allergic to fossils.

• Enjoyed 1

9 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Good thing you’re not allergic to fossils.

Yep! :D

Dairy is actually one of the things I am allergic to, so I have no idea what a cheese curd tastes like. :P

Well, I'd be a big mess... and have to have LOTS of Epi Pens lol.

Then maybe they are enrolled trilobites or gastropods :popcorn: Crunchy and maybe a little stale.

• Enjoyed 1

52 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Then maybe they are enrolled trilobites or gastropods :popcorn: Crunchy and maybe a little stale.

Mmm those sound so good... :D

Edited by fossilhunter21

I’m 32 hours into this prep now. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :fingerscrossed: The Mio on the left has some fin issues but is otherwise very well preserved, even better than it’s friend.

B0570F29-75BD-43C3-B422-39DE76055283.thumb.jpeg.90de339f589cda03261042eed1eb857e.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

12 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m 32 hours into this prep now. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :fingerscrossed: The Mio on the left has some fin issues but is otherwise very well preserved, even better than it’s friend.

B0570F29-75BD-43C3-B422-39DE76055283.thumb.jpeg.90de339f589cda03261042eed1eb857e.jpeg

Looking very, very nice! :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

I wrapped up the Kissing Mioplosus prep today with a grand total of 39 hours and 45 minutes of prep time. I think they turned out pretty well. They were a bit flaky, so they got a light application of Paraloid in order to lock everything down.

The fish on the left is deeper than the one on the right, so I had to bevel the edges of the matrix a lot on that one. Beveling the edge keeps shadows from falling on the fish when they are hung on a wall.

035ECEF1-ADAE-4000-94AB-B876B805FBE5.thumb.jpeg.76e1ebf6909f64b9e528f0957ff10c1b.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Amazing job on that slab! Those fish are very beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more of yoir amazing work.

1 hour ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Amazing job on that slab! Those fish are very beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more of yoir amazing work.

Thanks. They were a lot of fun to work on.

54 minutes ago, RJB said:

Wonderful piece of rock now Kris

RB

Thank you sir. I only wish one of them, at least, would have had the courtesy to die with both dorsal fins erect!

Great work!

Will you be stencilling little hearts on the matrix for these kissing fish? :D 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer