Kane's Bug Preps

Kane

2 hours ago, Kane said:

They can't all be winners. I had high hopes for this one, but this one turned out a disappointment. 

Initially sold as a Hollardops, I knew it was likely a Metacanthina on the basis of the long, pointy lappets. Its initial state:

IMG_8971.jpeg

Tough Moroccan material, so I knew what to expect. It also wasn't clamped together all that well, so there were some gaps with missing bits. And then my favourite detail scribe's stylus shattered. And I need to be able to push dolomite through a much smaller orifice than 18 gauge to get all the rest, or risk wearing down the segments. :( 

IMG_8983.jpeg

I just couldn't take this one much further. I did some tasteful tiny resto (crack-filling). 25 hours. Small consolation is that it looks better in person than photographed. Oh well -- live and learn!

Not a winner!? That's hecking awesome! Super gold job mate, your prep never ceases to amaze. Awesome!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

They can't all be winners. I had high hopes for this one, but this one turned out a disappointment.

Initially sold as a Hollardops, I knew it was likely a Metacanthina on the basis of the long, pointy lappets.

Luckily this one is not so disappointing: Mrakibina cattoi Morzadec 2001 happy0144.gif

image.thumb.png.369b2b38a6040d2cf9af8d71cec969f7.png

Morzadec , P. 2001

Les Trilobites Asteropyginae du Dévonien de l'Anti-Atlas (Maroc).

[Asteropyginae Trilobites from the Devonian of the Anti-Atlas (Morocco).]

Palaeontographica Abt. A 262:53-85

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks! I was thinking that when revealing the large genals. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It may not be the best bug you’ve done, but I wouldn’t throw it on the scrap pile just yet! Not bad for what you had to work with. Sticky hard matrix and totally hidden shell doesn’t make for an easy prep.

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Love the latest Moroccan bug and the Waldron Calymene is beautiful. 

Good work, old chap. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, gents. :) I think this one closes out the winter prep season as I begin the pivot to collecting (weather permitting), putting down the finer tools to pick up the heavier ones! :hammer01:

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Kane it was -8 here last night give your head a shake!!!!!

Monday: 7

Tuesday: 12

Wed/Thurs: 11

Fri: 6

Should be warm enough to burn off some snow cover. I need to get the season started!

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Monday: 7

Tuesday: 12

Wed/Thurs: 11

Fri: 6

Should be warm enough to burn off some snow cover. I need to get the season started!

I hope that's Celsius, 6 degrees F would not melt any snow.

It will be 21 C here on Monday 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

47 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I hope that's Celsius, 6 degrees F would not melt any snow.

It will be 21 C here on Monday 

Yes, we use celsius. 

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, Kane said:

I need to get the season started!

I hear that! If I hadn’t already had the day’s itinerary filled up, I would have been out there. Mid 50sF (12.5C) here. Spring is well on the way. All I could think about was swinging a hammer! :hammer01:

• I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 3/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, Kane said:

I need to get the season started!

It's always collecting season in Texas. My only problem is timing it with hunting season and prep projects!!! :P

I'm hoping to get a break in the weather to do some collecting this weekend (70% chance of thunderstorms) and next week. :fingerscrossed:

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It's always collecting season in Texas. My only problem is timing it with hunting season and prep projects!!! :P

I'm hoping to get a break in the weather to do some collecting this weekend (70% chance of thunderstorms) and next week. :fingerscrossed:

Well, did get out for four hours today (nothing worth showing). But, boy, it was rough going to bushwhack and follow deer trails, scrambling up steep loose gravel slopes, picking gingerly through thorn trees, trudging through some deep snow, then muddy gulches -- all with a 50lb backpack of tools. And yesterday was leg day... I've had brighter ideas about timing. :P But: season is ON. :hammer01:

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well, did get out for four hours today (nothing worth showing). But, boy, it was rough going to bushwhack and follow deer trails, scrambling up steep loose gravel slopes, picking gingerly through thorn trees, trudging through some deep snow, then muddy gulches -- all with a 50lb backpack of tools. And yesterday was leg day... I've had brighter ideas about timing. :P But: season is ON. :hammer01:

Sounds like you had a great time! At least the mosquitos and horseflies aren't out yet.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Colorado will have a historic snowstorm this weekend forecasting 1-2 feet even in Denver and more in the south

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

38 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s just wrong. :P 

just checked, up in Estes park (Rocky Mountain National Park) is supposed to get 91 inches, that's 231 centimeters 

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That's a bug with 100 legs, I think :headscratch:

Thank you Roger, I knew a European could help, we just call them centipedes in America

56 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What's a centimeter? :default_rofl:

That was the price of a piece of licorice in 1900.

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Just so we know:

18300.jpg

Anyhow, I hope to get back to some preparation next week when we have a minor hiatus from the warmth.

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Anyhow, I hope to get back to some preparation next week as we have a minor hiatus from the warmth.

Looking forward to it :popcorn:

• Thank You 1