Please ID?

Antonjo

Here it is.. I burned it above candle, and when it catches the flame the smoke is partially black, but when flame fade out, the smoke is white. It has some unspecified odour not too intense, not sure if I can tell if it's of something synthetic IMG_20201013_185213.thumb.jpg.44aad9da73943a5b3a3120202dc96796.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

My thought was that it could be something “man made” or related to human activity s.l.. Before the last post from Antonjo, an hypothesis that came to my mind was related to a rather frequent construnction technique in the italian countryside in the past and, I think, also beyond the Adriatic Sea (in Italian: cannucciaia, canniccio…don't know how to translate in English). 

This hypothesis doesn’t seem to feet with the latest evidences.

So: a "stucco“ infill (or a  wire insulation, as other said)?.

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, supertramp said:

My thought was that it could be something “man made” or related to human activity s.l.. Before the last post from Antonjo, an hypothesis that came to my mind was related to a rather frequent construnction technique in the italian countryside in the past and, I think, also beyond the Adriatic Sea (in Italian: cannucciaia, canniccio…don't know how to translate in English). 

I think what you're referring to is what is known in the English-speaking world as "wattle and daub": reed or wicker wall-construction covered by loam or clay.

I agree, however, that, though a good idea I should have thought of myself, it's not likely the case here, as the impressions in the find-pieces seem both to big and too straight/regular. Could still make it a modern variant of the technique, of course, but at least not an ancient application...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

@Antonjo  I think we are getting close to a solution.

Few questions/tests:

Does the material react (fizzy bubbles) from vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or chlorine bleach?

Does it remain intact when soaked in water overnight?

Noticed any bits of rusted metal about?

Does it appear to expand when it is burning?

That the site is near agriculture, I think I have a hypothesis...

• I found this Informative 1

It appears that old recipes for stucco contained various organic substances (including wine, beer and whiskey) that may account for the partial burning.

https://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/22-stucco.htm

The composition of stucco depended on local custom and available materials. Stucco often contained substantial amounts of mud or clay, marble or brick dust, or even sawdust, and an array of additives ranging from animal blood or urine, to eggs, keratin or gluesize (animal hooves and horns), varnish, wheat paste, sugar, salt, sodium silicate, alum, tallow, linseed oil, beeswax, and wine, beer, or rye whiskey. Waxes, fats and oils were included to introduce water-repellent properties, sugary materials reduced the amount of water needed and slowed down the setting time, and alcohol acted as an air entrainer. All of these additives contributed to the strength and durability of the stucco.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The composition of stucco depended on local custom and available materials. Stucco often contained substantial amounts of mud or clay, marble or brick dust, or even sawdust, and an array of additives ranging from animal blood or urine, to eggs, keratin or gluesize (animal hooves and horns), varnish, wheat paste, sugar, salt, sodium silicate, alum, tallow, linseed oil, beeswax, and wine, beer, or rye whiskey. Waxes, fats and oils were included to introduce water-repellent properties, sugary materials reduced the amount of water needed and slowed down the setting time, and alcohol acted as an air entrainer. All of these additives contributed to the strength and durability of the stucco.

Wow! That sounds like a veritable witch's brew! I always wonder how people figured out these complicated kinds of recipes - especially since stucco has been around for a long, long time...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Few questions/tests:

Does the material react (fizzy bubbles) from vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or chlorine bleach?

I can't remember any rusted metal parts nearby, and it doesn't expand or make any noise when burning (it takes some time to catch the flame, and it extinguish fast)

I will try that with vinegar or peroxide, and soaking overnight, and report results

This an interesting thread! I said scapula earlier and now somehow I really don't think it is! I am thinking it might be some kind of render/stucco and the lines are from the joins in the courses of bricks that it covered? The flatter stucco would break easily into tiny pieces if you were stripping old material off to re-render the wall, and the bits in the joints are the harder bits to remove and also stay in one piece as the groove makes it thicker and sturdier.

Maybe........:zzzzscratchchin:

I suspect that this may be what is known as firewall or water block putty. It is used to prevent fires from getting through barriers in buildings and ships and used to prevent chafing of wires and tubing in heavy equipment like would be used in an olive grove. There are all sorts of uses for putty like this and many different kinds. There are types used in aircraft and military equipment too. As it ages it dries out becomes brittle, and falls away. However some basic materials tests as described will help dial it in.

This is a very interesting topic!

Just a thought, any chance it could be, very old beeswax, or some other insect excretion? Could this be the remnants of a hive of some kind?

I’m excited to see the resistance to water and other test results!

On 13. 10. 2020. at 10:24 PM, LabRatKing said:

Few questions/tests:

@LabRatKing I tried to pour some lime remover on it and it reacted with some very small bubbles. The piece I put in water overnight seems it didn't change volume or consistency.IMG_20201014_190743.thumb.jpg.5ddf31813db694a295bf686b22c6f0b6.jpg

7 hours ago, Antonjo said:

@LabRatKing I tried to pour some lime remover on it and it reacted with some very small bubbles. The piece I put in water overnight seems it didn't change volume or consistency.

IMG_20201014_190743.thumb.jpg.5ddf31813db694a295bf686b22c6f0b6.jpg

Well, I have serious reason to believe now that what we have here are the remnants of some cabling. In particular, a cable filling compound, similar to the putty I described previously. This deduction explains many of the features we are seeing. The criss-cross patterns on the "exterior" surface are likely from a metallic mesh overwrap and the "internal" side channels are where the probably four, conductors went through. Something like this, just a very large gauge:

Bttw/Yttw, Fire Resistant Cable, 0.6/1 Kv, Multi-Core Inorganic Mineral  Insulated Corrugated Copper Sheathed Cable - jytopcable

I should note this picture is reference only, as it shows a fiber based filler.

• I found this Informative 3

If I have deduced properly, this substance should degrade readily in an acid and more slowly in household ammonia. Generally it is a Magnesium Oxide based putty with various forms of calcium and a polymer added. The polymer is what burns, the other materials leave behind the gray ash you saw and this material, when weathered behaves as shown in the tile test. While I am by no means an expert on non-north american electrical standards, I feel confident this substance or a version of it is the most likely candidate. 

i suspect these are the remnants of a large gauge 4 conductor cable that may have been stripped and used as a soil amendment, a common practice in many areas of the world. This substance works great in stabilizing pH and is commonly sold as a antacid in humans (milk of magnesia). 

Here is a picture showing cable that uses the putty form, you can see it as the white-gray stuff outside the fiber wraps and inside the outer sheath:

What Is Mineral Insulated Metal Sheathed Cable?

Well, @LabRatKing I must confess this is by far most convincing explanation for me. I was hoping it could be some interesting fossil, but at least it was fun to participate in this discussion :)

Ofcourse it doesn't mean it must be over :)

3 minutes ago, Antonjo said:

Well, @LabRatKing I must confess this is by far most convincing explanation for me. I was hoping it could be some interesting fossil, but at least it was fun to participate in this discussion :)

Ofcourse it doesn't mean it must be over :)

Agreed! Nothing like some hardcore detective work to get the brain fired up!

Do you happen to know the ingredients of your lime remover? usually it is an acid, though there are some that use other stuff.

24 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Do you happen to know the ingredients of your lime remover?

As main ingredient it's listed <5% nonionic surfactant, and among others some unorganic acids (both nonspecified) 

4 minutes ago, Antonjo said:

As main ingredient it's listed <5% nonionic surfactant, and among others some unorganic acids (both nonspecified) 

Excellent. That means it is basically some soap and citric acid most likely. In my mind that supports the mineral putty cable filler hypothesis.

Do you know what, that sounds good to me! Explains the line and the crosses etc. 

Well done that man! (99.9% sure!)! Ha!!