Chain-like fossil from Cretaceous Alabama

aplomado

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

Ok, you all have me intrigued!!!

Here is a better picture.  The dark chain is about one inch long.  There are no fossils visible on the back of the matrix.  One of my family found this in a creek.

big.jpg

I agree with JohnJ; the dark areas are the same structure/fossil as the light areas. I think that the dark colored crack that seems to connect the whole thing might have introduced a dark colored mineral.

Since the pimple like structures seem to have a hole in the middle, but have a less regular looking structure that a coral or bryozoan might have, consider a sponge which were really common in the Cretaceous.

Search the literature of the formation that it came from for known sponges. What is the formation name?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/british-fossil-sponge-faringdon-470835444

F9EB9EC3-01C2-4181-B319-72634CD5A5C2.jpeg

DDEFAFBF-1579-4BCA-8FC4-24B2B2141BBF.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Or there are trace fossils of some sort? :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Search the literature of the formation that it came from for known sponges. What is the formation name?

My find came from the Eutaw formation (Tombigbee sand member).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, aplomado said:

Ok, you all have me intrigued!!!

Here is a better picture.  The dark chain is about one inch long.  There are no fossils visible on the back of the matrix.  One of my family found this in a creek.

big.jpg

Looks like a trace fossil of a boring sponge. We find this type of boring sponge trace fossil a lot in the Cretaceous of Alabama. If I remember to I'll get pictures. I think I have a couple specimens from the exact creek mentioned. 

• I found this Informative 1