ammonites.fr shuts down

rocket

One of the really best websites about cretaceous and jurassic ammonites has been removed from the net, www.ammonites.fr

This was always an inspiration to compare own finds and determine them.

I do not really know why, have heard some stories but did not talk to Herve Chatelier, the owner

And, when you look with the waybackmachine it is not possible to open former versions...

I will miss the website :(

• I Agree 2

"L'avenir de la paléontologie en France étant aujourd'hui trop aminci, ce site tire sa révérence".

"The future of paleontology in France being today too narrow, this site bows out".

It's a big loss internationally

• I Agree 2

I've never heard of this site. But the fact that they're closing due to the current state of palaeontology in France is, of course, extremely sad and depressing. Hopefully a way can be found to resurrect and store the informational resource...

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

when you google it, you will find a very very small glimpse of the quality of the shown ammonites...

I did a screenshot of the first 24 pics

and the page was full, incredible full....

Folie1.JPG.d76d0e7e508a485fb40cc24d7614a67f.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

I've never seen the website before so not sure what pages are most essential, but I was able to visit many pages via the Wayback machine.

image.thumb.png.fad9eb148884d65d716a8f227b495723.png

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I've never seen the website before so not sure what pages are most essential,

nearly all :-)

Great that you could open it, I tried and it does not work. Will try again later and save everything what´s possible

works now, do not know why the first try was without success, but now it is possible

Edited by rocket
  • I Agree 1

What a loss! I still don't quite understand why Hervé is giving up like this. His site was one of, if not the best references for Jurassic and Cretaceous ammonites in Europe and you would think that he would at least want to save it for posterity.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

19 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Has anyone asked Herve why he has allowed the site to shut down?

I think that JohnJ in above message sent Herve (probably the same Herve) a notification hoping that he would look at this thread a maybe give an answer.

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Has anyone asked Herve why he has allowed the site to shut down?

As he is the owner of the site I think he decided himself :eyeroll:

When my own website goes down, as it eventually will, it will be because I have not paid the host service to keep it up.  I may not have paid because I have totally lost interest; or, I no longer can afford to pay; or, I have died. 

The ammonite website might be saved, if there is enough interest; but, the first step is to communicate with Herve (or his heirs).

• I Agree 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

7 hours ago, JBkansas said:

Perhaps Herve would be willing to .zip his database and allow it to be shared as an offline resource.

It's still available on the Wayback Machine. See Top Trilo's post above.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

hello ITs not me sorry My name is JULLIAN Hervé

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 5

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

5 minutes ago, herve said:

hello ITs not me sorry My name is JULLIAN Hervé

that is a pity! Thank you for responding Jullian.

• Thank You 1

Hervé Chatelier is a friend. He is disappointed with the turn paleontology is taking in France and no longer wants to contribute.

Its reference website has allowed us to find many answers on the large family of ammonites, for many years.

I understand him and respect his decision.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

I totally understand him and I am considering the same with my small website. There are dangerous professionnal fanatics in France, ready to take you down because you hunt fossils on "their" land and willing to ban fossil hunting on all the territory.

It seems now better to stay hidden in our country and not to post discoveries on the web.

This science is living sad days.

Edited by Pixpaleosky
Typo
  • I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pixpaleosky said:

I totally understand him and I am considering the same with my small website. There are dangerous professionnal fanatics in France, ready to take you down because you hunt fossils on "their" land and willing to ban fossil hunting on all the territory.

It seems now better to stay hidden in our country and not to post discoveries on the web.

Certain academic paleos are trying the same thing in the USA

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Certain academic paleos are trying the same thing in the USA

Oh, wow! That's so shocking! Don't these professionals realise that by openly attacking convocational collectors rather than working together with them, they're not only loosing out on data but also forcing these collectors underground? I mean, a fervent witch-hunt on amateur palaeontologists will not likely stop them from collecting - just make it harder to control. That's why a lot of things that are illegal in a lot of countries are actually legal in the Netherlands, since making things legal and putting them out in the open makes it easier to control...

Just trying to attack individual collectors sounds simply stupid to me :duh2:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Hervé Chatelier is a friend. He is disappointed with the turn paleontology is taking in France and no longer wants to contribute.

Its reference website has allowed us to find many answers on the large family of ammonites, for many years.

I understand him and respect his decision.

Tell Herve thank you for his work. I hope that he saves a copy for us to use again when it is safe.

• I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Oh, wow! That's so shocking! Don't these professionals realise that by openly attacking convocational collectors rather than working together with them, they're not only loosing out on data but also forcing these collectors underground? I mean, a fervent witch-hunt on amateur palaeontologists will not likely stop them from collecting - just make it harder to control. That's why a lot of things that are illegal in a lot of countries are actually legal in the Netherlands, since making things legal and putting them out in the open makes it easier to control...

Just trying to attack individual collectors sounds simply stupid to me :duh2:

Absolutely correct.  Banning private collection, sales ownership, etc will be a massive setback to science.  There will NEVER be enough paleo field workers to explore and excavate the lands that gov't already owns.  Bans, fines etc on private collection will force some collectors into a black market, but most land owners who allow private digging will simply kick everyone out so they can't be charged / fined / jailed for allowing it.  The end result will be scientifically important specimens eroding out and weathering into unidentifiable rubble.  Everyone loses. 

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I Agree 4

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Please, let's not have this discussion descend into a blanket of condemnation of all professional paleontologists.  :unsure:

Not all of them believe that amateur collectors are evil.

It is a shame, and bad enough, that an excellent resource has been lost.  :(

• I Agree 8

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me