How do you record data? Undergrad research capstone

DroidBait

Hello all! 

You are invited to complete an online survey as part of a research project conducted by Ulises Sabato and Dr. Ashley Johnson (faculty mentor) at Jacksonville University. The research project is called How do Amateur Paleontologists Collect Data if at all, and Why? The purpose of this study is to collect data regarding the data recording practices of amateur fossil collectors. We are looking for responses from individuals who prospect(search) for fossils and who are 18 years old and over.

The study involves the completion of a 17-items online survey. The survey may take up to 15 minutes to complete. Participation is entirely anonymous, we will not be collecting any personally identifiable information (e.g., name, phone, IP address, etc.). The survey is conducted through Qualtrics and can be completed anywhere you have access to the Internet. If you know anyone else who might like to fill out the survey, feel free to share it.

If you meet the above criteria and would like to participate in this study, follow the link below to access the informed consent and the survey. You may also copy paste the link into your web browser. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ulises Sabato at Usabato@ju.edu

CONSENT AND SURVEY LINK: https://jacksonvilleu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eEgEEkwN35BMkmy

Thank you for your consideration. 

The study is being conducted under the supervision of Dr. Ashley Johnson, ajohnso40@ju.edu). The project has been approved by the Jacksonville University Institutional Review Board, (JU IRB # 2023-012).

• Enjoyed 1

Online surveys of this type are invalid and often reflect data that is skewed by ill-intentioned participants. Without identification/liability comes disregard for truth. For instance, there is no way to prevent someone from replying to this survey 10 times and providing false information.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Online surveys of this type are invalid and often reflect data that is skewed by ill-intentioned participants. Without identification/liability comes disregard for truth. For instance, there is no way to prevent someone from replying to this survey 10 times and providing false information.

I dont think this student is trying to write new collecting regulations.  This is just part of the exercise that students have to go through in college.  It probably doesnt matter one bit what the final results actually are, its just formulating the research idea, generating the questions, interpreting the results and publishing a finding. These same types of surveys come up every year, in every form of hobby forum I know.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

In other words, I wasted my time.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

In other words, I wasted my time.

No, you contributed a data set to the students research project.  Helping each other is something we should strive for, whether its fossil related or not.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Forum staff have vetted and approved this survey as part of an educational project, and that is within the domain of our mission as a primarily science-based forum. The survey is entirely voluntary. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 3
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Survey takes about 5 minutes.

@DroidBait If you are able to do a second round of questionnaires, consider asking how people label their fossils and how they record the info. What kind of notebook, writing instrument, ink, paper, paint is used. How do they describe the locality: gps; sections; radial coordinates relative to landmark; nearest landmark, county etc.   How do they store fossils.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'd like to thank everyone who has replied so far! :D

5 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I want to start by apologizing for you feeling that your time was wasted, it was not the intention of this survey to make anyone feel that way. Let me clarify a few things. I am conducting this research as a part of my capstone research, which is like a mini dissertation for my bachelor's degree. I chose this topic because It's one I feel is both interesting and important. As such, I am aiming for the highest quality of data possible. I would like to further pursue this question in graduate school, but I also need to set realistic short-term goals for this project.

As for the issue of identification/liability issues associated with an online anonymous survey, I need to follow the rules set forth by my university’s institutional review board as well as those set forth by the admins of TFF. As the option to restrict multiple answers is linked to device data (it records IP and places a cookie into the browser of the person taking the survey), I unselected it to be in compliance with these rules. In the future, if I am able to conduct this research at the graduate level, the survey would likely be administered in a different fashion.

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Survey takes about 5 minutes.

@DroidBait If you are able to do a second round of questionnaires, consider asking how people label their fossils and how they record the info. What kind of notebook, writing instrument, ink, paper, paint is used. How do they describe the locality: gps; sections; radial coordinates relative to landmark; nearest landmark, county etc.   How do they store fossils.

These are really great suggestions. Unfortunately, I wont have time for a second round of questionnaires with this project as its only a semester long. However I'm hoping that I can continue this research more in the future in which case I'll be sure to add those questions! Thank you :)

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

As you mention wanting to pursue further research in graduate school, I would like to point out that (in my opinion) the "if at all" bit in the title came off as standoffish. My immediate thought was "this person is biased against amateurs." Whether or not you hold that bias, I don't know, but researchers should always attempt to eliminate bias, or the appearance thereof, in their studies.

• I found this Informative 4

Hello!

Thank you for your time in creating this survey, very cool stuff! I got about halfway through, when I realised that in a few months I will technically no longer be an amateur! Exciting exciting times... Are you still interested in my completion of the survey? :i_am_so_happy:

Isaac

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

17 hours ago, connorp said:

As you mention wanting to pursue further research in graduate school, I would like to point out that (in my opinion) the "if at all" bit in the title came off as standoffish. My immediate thought was "this person is biased against amateurs." Whether or not you hold that bias, I don't know, but researchers should always attempt to eliminate bias, or the appearance thereof, in their studies.

To be honest, it hadn't occurred to me that it might be interpreted that way but I can see now how it does sound a bit standoffish, so thank you for letting me know! 

1 hour ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Hello!

Thank you for your time in creating this survey, very cool stuff! I got about halfway through, when I realised that in a few months I will technically no longer be an amateur! Exciting exciting times... Are you still interested in my completion of the survey? :i_am_so_happy:

Isaac

Of course, it would be a great if you could complete the survey! One of the things I've discovered whilst doing this research is that the term "amateur" is a lacking one. I had originally used the term because it is quite common, however, I feel it carries a with it a connotation of lack of knowledge or professionality, when in reality many "amateurs" have contributed greatly to the field. I may switch to using the term "Avocational". 

26 minutes ago, DroidBait said:

To be honest, it hadn't occurred to me that it might be interpreted that way but I can see now how it does sound a bit standoffish, so thank you for letting me know! 

Of course, it would be a great if you could complete the survey! One of the things I've discovered whilst doing this research is that the term "amateur" is a lacking one. I had originally used the term because it is quite common, however, I feel it carries a with it a connotation of lack of knowledge or professionality, when in reality many "amateurs" have contributed greatly to the field. I may switch to using the term "Avocational". 

I think you should use the phrase "amateur or avocational", as many fossil collectors do consider themselves true amateurs, but many study much deeper in the field and probably consider themselves between amateur and professional.  

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 9:58 AM, hadrosauridae said:

I think you should use the phrase "amateur or avocational", as many fossil collectors do consider themselves true amateurs, but many study much deeper in the field and probably consider themselves between amateur and professional.  

Sorry for not being more active in this thread, its been a bit of a crazy month; but I think that's a very good point . Do you think the term "non-professional paleontologist" would be an appropriate blanket term that refers to both groups?

Edited by DroidBait

I think that is sufficiently broad and descriptive. 

• Thank You 1

New title:

How and Why do Non-Professional Paleontologists Collect Data.

Sound good?

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

16 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

New title:

How and Why do Non-Professional Paleontologists Collect Data.

Sound good?

That's actually pretty close to what I changed the title too! It now being: Examining the Methods and Motivations of Nonprofessional Paleontologists to Collect Fossil Data.

• Enjoyed 1