The Choice of backpack

Jennieduk

• New Members

Soon I will start a collecting trip with my teacher. This is my first time participating in a project. I need to buy a lot of equipment. What size backpack will I need?

Depends on how much equipment and refreshments you have to carry and if you also need room for anything found, depending on how big they might be, doesn't it? I'd say rather larger than smaller.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Here is an older thread that might help. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

As big as you are willing to go in my experience.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

the best backpack i have found for rockhounding is a US Army backpack from the local surplus store. the material is tough, the big zippers can handle sand and they usually come with a plastic insert to protect your back from sharp and pokey specimens. literally proven in battle.

• I Agree 2

but i’ve been wrong before.

Get something that can safely and comfortably handle the weight of water bottles. That’s generally the heaviest thing I ever have on me, and probably the most important thing. All of my tools and other things are far lighter. I rarely cart out large, heavy specimens, and if I do, I try not to put them in my bag. Better to figure out alternative means to transporting heavy rocks than sacrifice your back.