Land Of The Large Nautiloid

sward

The law in Texas is pretty clear about navigable waterways and spelled out with some examples of court cases in the 2nd link mikecable posted above. If there is a 30 foot average distance between firmly fixed land banks the public has rights of navigation, fishing and other lawful purposes. This includes bed, banks and stream of water. The bed includes that portion of the soil that is alternately covered and left bare by the stream. Fossils have been allowed to be removed from the bed but not the bank. One advantage of asking the landowner is to get permission to remove fossils from the banks. I hope this helps.

Edited by BobWill

I was in Ft. Worth last summer and had pulled off of the road to make some clothing and footwear adjustments before I got to my final destination. A friendly deputy pulled up and asked me what I was up to. I explained what and where I was headed. He was quite nice and warned me off of the nearby creeks as they were private property and owned by someone with lots of money. Other than that, he wished me well and thought I was as crazy as the rest of the people I was off to meet. You may have been in that area.

Once I was met by the cops, a land owner and Game Warden when I came out of a creek - 5 cars around mine. They were very agitated about people being in the creek until they figured out I was a fossil hunter. I showed them a small handful of fossils - which to them looked like ordinary rocks - and they gave me a look like "you climbed all the way down there and slogged through the mud for THAT?!" (Okay, I was having poor luck that day on the fossil side too). They saw my car and thought I might be poaching game on thier property. The land owner said he had been having problems with illegal hunters. Once he found out we were looking for fossils, he gave me his phone number and said to call if I wanted to hunt on his property.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

The land owner said he had been having problems with illegal hunters. Once he found out we were looking for fossils, he gave me his phone number and said to call if I wanted to hunt on his property.

That was pretty cool of him.

Context is critical.

i was once surrounded by game wardens and landowners down in a navigable waterway...5 dudes for 10 minutes and no one noticed the human skull under my mesh baseball hat! the warden even tucked his card under the arm clutching the hat to my chest...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

i was once surrounded by game wardens and landowners down in a navigable waterway...5 dudes for 10 minutes and no one noticed the human skull under my mesh baseball hat! the warden even tucked his card under the arm clutching the hat to my chest...

I didn't know you could take your head off and tuck it under your arms..

I gots to learn me that one :)