Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

Haha! A lot of people think Oklahoma's nothing but a flat expanse as well!

Nice picture, by the way! :D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Great photos defying the stereotypical perception of Kansas being flat!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

post-8873-0-39962700-1407506731_thumb.jpg

backlit caladium ...shot with a point & shoot in macro mode, Canon Powershot SD850 IS

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I am sure that many of you have seen this spot. It is the place that Hank and Gomey were killed in BReaking BAd. It is also very near where the barrels of cash were cached in that show. The "face" in the rock is very distintive.

post-11667-0-10548900-1407517483_thumb.jpg

post-11667-0-98032800-1407517501_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4885psz.jpg

backlit caladium ...shot with a point & shoot in macro mode, Canon Powershot SD850 IS

Yeah! Caladiums...nice shot! Ours are not doing so well....more on the baked crispy side with the excessive heat and lack of rain in spots! Regards, Chris

Nice pictures everyone! :D

post-8873-0-38213400-1407784429_thumb.jpg

Sunset sky in the Midlands of SC

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

A beautiful sunset! :wub:

In return, Snolly, an Oklahoman sunset ;) :

post-11650-0-84597300-1407806071_thumb.jpg

This file was too large to upload, even when cropped, so here's a link:

http://i.imgur.com/nbLMtIz.jpg

Hope to see more pictures! :D

This is a photo of the lower Saluda River, just outside of Columbia SC. This spot is just downriver from the Millrace Rapids, class III, which can get even wilder depending on the upriver release of water from the dam.

In the 1800s a bridge spanned the river here. The stone abutments still stand. The central one may be seen overgrown with trees to the left of the image. The bridge was destroyed in a effort to slow the advance of Sherman's troops during the American Civil War. The Federal army constructed a floating pontoon bridge and successfully crossed the river. The SC capital city was pillaged and burned. This event was a part of Sherman's "March to the Sea" campaign.

It does not take much imagination to see in the water and trees the spirits of those who died in the most tragic chapter in US history.

post-8873-0-85681500-1407851126_thumb.jpg

The photo was made with a point and shoot, Canon Powershot SD850 IS. The color was removed via Photoshop Elements. The image was reduced in size and resolution for posting. The "spirits" visible in the trees are the result of the afternoon sun shining on the silvery Spanish Moss, that abundantly drapes the trees.

Only a black & white can purvey the hauntingly solemn place memories...

Can you imagine the other worldly effect of the same scene in B&W infra-red?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Leprechaun Canyon, Utah:

Love that Desert Varnish on the rocks in Utah. I'll have to dig up some of my photos of the slot canyons in Page, AZ.

-Ken

Edit: Found some, here is the abstract beauty of the slot canyons in Page. I heartily recommend it to anybody traveling near Page (Arizona-Utah border). PM me of you are thinking of going and I can give you lots of good tips to maximize your enjoyment of this magical area. Now the pics:

post-7713-0-07387400-1407885482_thumb.jpgpost-7713-0-77461300-1407885482_thumb.jpgpost-7713-0-57043600-1407885483_thumb.jpg

Edited by digit

Love that Desert Varnish on the rocks in Utah. I'll have to dig up some of my photos of the slot canyons in Page, AZ.

Thanks. Speaking of Page, here is upper Antelope:

post-6808-0-56141500-1407884371_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-61804000-1407884372_thumb.jpg

Edit: We captured the same scene. :)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

A few wildflowers closer to home....

Swamp verbena:

post-6808-0-08440000-1407884582_thumb.jpg

Cup plant:

post-6808-0-24031600-1407884583_thumb.jpg

Wild blue phlox:

post-6808-0-74586100-1407884876_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

CRUEL, CRUEL NATURE REVEALED (overly sensitive readers may wish to avert their eyes)

Here is an image of a helpless, inoffensive, peaceful mushroom; that has suffered savage predation at the paws of the dread Chisel-tooth Squirrel!

post-8873-0-08255000-1408135817_thumb.jpg

So many beautiful pictures! :wub: