Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

Another Fall photograph, following my fascination with images of leaves on the water.

post-8873-0-27356100-1414594481_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoy looking at the stunning photographs in this thread. Al Dente, that Northern Cricket Frog is wonderful and I'm amazed that you were able to raise those spotted and marbled salamanders. I've raised a few tadpoles from eggs, of course, but I've never tried to keep them very long. Seven years! Wow. Snolly and Missourian, your photos are awesome. Everyone else too.

Here's a photo I took years ago of some squid eggs I found on a beach here in Massachusetts, with the egg mop on the sand and a closeup photo of one of the developing larvae.

post-6366-0-57499900-1415637714_thumb.jpg post-6366-0-48319600-1415637728_thumb.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I really enjoy looking at the stunning photographs in this thread. Al Dente, that Northern Cricket Frog is wonderful and I'm amazed that you were able to raise those spotted and marbled salamanders. I've raised a few tadpoles from eggs, of course, but I've never tried to keep them very long. Seven years! Wow. Snolly and Missourian, your photos are awesome. Everyone else too.
Here's a photo I took years ago of some squid eggs I found on a beach here in Massachusetts, with the egg mop on the sand and a closeup photo of one of the developing larvae.

Thank you for the approbation. I think this photo topic adds a very nice dimension to the Forum's already outstanding array of material. I believe it would be an atypical fossil enthusiast who did not enjoy nature and wildlife in general.

Please post info on equipment and technique employed in obtaining the technically difficult shot of the squidling. Thanks.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Great fall photos, Snolly! My favorite time of the year, I daresay!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

...Please post info on equipment and technique employed in obtaining the technically difficult shot of the squidling. Thanks.

I took this about a dozen years ago and I think I took it with a pocket digital, probably my old Canon Powershot A540, just holding the lens up to the eyepiece of a cheap 30x "pocket microscope" something like this one:

post-6366-0-95556600-1415659883_thumb.jpg

Low tech, but it worked ok. At least that's what I think I did. It was quite awhile ago.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I took this about a dozen years ago and I think I took it with a pocket digital, probably my old Canon Powershot A540, just holding the lens up to the eyepiece of a cheap 30x "pocket microscope" something like this one:

attachicon.gif30X Pocket Microscope.jpg

Low tech, but it worked ok. At least that's what I think I did. It was quite awhile ago.

Thanks, I knew you had to utilize something to get that magnification. I used to own a small, lighted 'scope that looked very much like the one you pictured.

Great fall photos, Snolly! My favorite time of the year, I daresay!

Thank you, the morning and afternoon light this time of year make for beautiful opportunities.

Dogwood, afternoon sun

post-8873-0-76236500-1415662294_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, It is great to see that this thread is still going strong.

Here is a before and after; I just threw the frame on this "Sunset through the Sailboat" to see if anyone liked it, and if anyone would like to learn the secret of putting a frame on there great photos here?

post-13244-0-77378500-1415668737_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-36080200-1415668741_thumb.jpg

Some of my other framed photos are on pages 6, 7, and 8 in this thread.

So would anyone be interested in how to do this???? B)

OH YES! it is a free program. :)

Hi everyone, It is great to see that this thread is still going strong.

Here is a before and after; I just threw the frame on this "Sunset through the Sailboat" to see if anyone liked it, and if anyone would like to learn the secret of putting a frame on there great photos here?

attachicon.gifJul 25 2011_1181_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifSunset through sailboat Jul 25 2011_1181_edited-1.jpg

Some of my other framed photos are on pages 6, 7, and 8 in this thread.

So would anyone be interested in how to do this???? B)

OH YES! it is a free program. :)

A FREE program is always nice, but I am more intrigued with your capture of the water's texture. The wake swells and attendant distortion of the reflections is wonderful to my eye. Apparently shot is fairly low light, I would be interested in the camera data.

Location too.

I'm guessing Maine sunrise.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey Snolly, My vital statistics on these photos. Camera is an Olympus 7040 point and shoot, I had it set too the sunset auto setting, which were F3 1/160th sec, ISO64. This is my second Olympus digital, they take great photos.

The program I use for the frame work is the Ribbit.com http://www.ribbet.com/app/#/home/welcome a very handy "free" photo program that can do things that my Photo shop Elements can't do.

Here are a few more photos from that evening leaving Lake Erie.

post-13244-0-55455300-1415757116_thumb.jpg post-13244-0-65903200-1415757119_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-65003300-1415757122_thumb.jpg post-13244-0-96266400-1415757125_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-85758000-1415757129_thumb.jpg post-13244-0-85602900-1415757133_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-06683500-1415757382_thumb.jpg

The last one is from a different trip on the Lake.

Oh ya! all of these and the Sunset were all taken from a moving boat.

I'm surprised the camera program selected an ISO at that level. Obviously its chip is smarter than I, because I would have gone much faster if I was picking the settings. However, it would be foolish to argue the choice, as the picture nicely settles the issue. Enjoyed the shots, thanks.

THX Snolly. There are big contrasts in the setting, aiming straight into the setting summer sun with the water getting dark already it is tricky. What I will do is aim and set the camera on an area away from the sun, lock it in and than swing back toward the brightest spot and it seams to bring the whole photo together. I do that on a lot of photos, focus on an area away from the brightest area than swing back and take the photo without re- setting. I know you understand what I am trying to say. Easier to do, than describe.

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos! :D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

• 2 weeks later...

post-8873-0-85532500-1417356605_thumb.jpg

reflection of young Bald Cypress trees

• 2 months later...

Out walking this AM and viewed a wonderful parhelion - a bright white ball on an arc, like a diamond in a ring. This was with the sun at my back. The opposite, matching ball/arc was not visible from my viewpoint. We had been seeing rainbow hued sun dogs close to the sun the entire time we were walking. By the time I got home and fetched my point and shoot, the large parhelion had disappeared, but I was able to get some shots of an example of the sun dogs, rainbow arc and balls.

post-8873-0-29526400-1423262055_thumb.jpg

On 2/6/2015 at 4:35 PM, snolly50 said:

Out walking this AM and viewed a wonderful parhelion - a bright white ball on an arc, like a diamond in a ring. This was with the sun at my back. The opposite, matching ball/arc was not visible from my viewpoint. We had been seeing rainbow hued sun dogs close to the sun the entire time we were walking. By the time I got home and fetched my point and shoot, the large parhelion had disappeared, but I was able to get some shots of an example of the sun dogs, rainbow arc and balls.

I spotted some of these a few days back:

Arcs (Parry and upper tangent, I think):

post-6808-0-61320800-1423349817_thumb.jpg

Parhelic circle:

post-6808-0-59121200-1423349806_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-70200300-1423349812_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Missourian, great shots of that quickly fleeting phenomenon. The image I missed catching looked very much like your last two shots except there was a bright "false sun" bisected by the arc, like a bead on a string. I have long been intrigued by these atmospheric sights and really enjoyed seeing yours. My wife, a long while back, was struggling to find a way to tell our 3 year old of the death of our beloved German Shepherd Dog, Blossom. While she was driving our daughter home from day care, a brilliant "sun dog" appeared and provided support for the bad news. My wife has been enamored of them ever since.

On 2/7/2015 at 8:40 PM, snolly50 said:

Missourian, great shots of that quickly fleeting phenomenon. The image I missed catching looked very much like your last two shots except there was a bright "false sun" bisected by the arc, like a bead on a string. I have long been intrigued by these atmospheric sights and really enjoyed seeing yours. My wife, a long while back, was struggling to find a way to tell our 3 year old of the death of our beloved German Shepherd Dog, Blossom. While she was driving our daughter home from day care, a brilliant "sun dog" appeared and provided support for the bad news. My wife has been enamored of them ever since.

The arcs were cool to see, but the parhelic circle literally stopped me in my tracks. I was like wow, a circle tracing the sun's altitude around the sky.... how in the world did that form? It turns out it somehow has to do with pencil-shaped crystals oriented vertically (I think).

Context is critical.

Here's a good time to me. I use to go fishin' everyday.

post-14584-0-69949000-1423409611_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Lake Michigan near Milwaukee

post-14584-0-70836000-1423410179_thumb.jpg

The mouth of Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

post-14584-0-90777400-1423410253_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I know this isn't "nature", but it is getting reclaimed by the woods. I took the kids ghost hunting in a old miners ghost town in the woods near Copper Harbor Michigan.

We captured one! See the lady in the door? Haha

post-14584-0-11112400-1423411129_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Wow! Been awhile since I've contributed to this thread! Great photos everyone! Hope to post some soon!