Nature Photography

Jesuslover340

I posted these astrophotos a couple years back in another thread, so here goes again....

Comet Halley, March 1986:

post-6808-0-50365300-1423889035_thumb.jpg

Comet Hale-Bopp, March 1997:

post-6808-0-80155600-1423889031_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-50474500-1423889029_thumb.jpg

Comet Ikeya-Zhang, March 2002:

post-6808-0-30653600-1423889073_thumb.jpg

Eclipse at sunset, May 2012:

post-6808-0-60191000-1423889030_thumb.jpg

Venus transit at sunset, June 2012:

post-6808-0-30648600-1423889033_thumb.jpg

Both events at sunset within a month.... What are the odds?

Context is critical.

Very nice Missourian!

I remember getting up in the small hours of the morning to see Halley's Comet back in '86.

Very nice Missourian!

I remember getting up in the small hours of the morning to see Halley's Comet back in '86.

Thanks. Too bad it was the worst apparition in the 2000+ years of observation. :unsure:

Context is critical.

On 3/3/2007, I knew there would be a total lunar eclipse where I lived at the time (Roanoke, VA), so I grabbed my Nikon D70 and drove up the mountain behind my house, at the entrance of a winery. Here is what it looked like before dark.

post-7338-0-80040800-1423925329_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

March winds shake winter sleeping lilies to awaken them?

post-8873-0-60005100-1425589777_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

"Feng Shui" means "Wind and Water"...

(If I had a sailboat, that would be her name.)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thought I updated this but....hmmm....Excellent astro photos and John those leaves are very nice! Best I can offer for the moment is one of the assasin type? bugs on the hood of my work vehicle. If he was just a bit bigger he would be an awesome hood element!

post-1240-0-61715300-1425615750_thumb.jpg

Keep the pictures coming!

Regards, Chris

Hi,

I didn't put here my pics of 1st of january ! Here are !

8zdw6t.jpg

5k0hm1.jpg

24ynz8k.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Lovely photos everyone. I'm glad to see--much like a millipede--that this topic still has legs.

Off on another coral reef survey mission now, this time in the Indian Ocean (Chagos Archipelago) and I'm hoping to some up with some pretty eye candy soon. I'll post anything I think worthy as the images present themselves.

Love the variety of imagery on this thread.

Cheers.

-Ken

Till I come up with something new, here are a couple of images from my last mission in Palau. After the coral reef survey work was done (89 dives over the course of a month) we got to do a pleasure dive (well, snorkel really) at the world famous Jellyfish Lake--google it if you haven't heard about this novelty of nature. We got to go swimming with 13 million (mostly) stingless jellyfish in a landlocked marine lake. Took over 370 photos in under an hour (yeah, I had fun) and here are a couple of images to give you a feel for this special place:

post-7713-0-80098900-1425706006_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-19612100-1425706062_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-00334900-1425706096_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, just wonderful.

It's been great to see this topic re-energized. In the past month or so it's gone from amazing views of the heavens to under the sea with beautiful stops between. I hope this just keeps on and on. It's a powerful addition to the general love of the natural world embraced by the Forum.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Wow. All the images this month are terrific. Sure makes us appreciate the amazing world we live in. That mass of jellyfish is fabulous, Ken! What an amazing experience that must have been. I remember diving in a huge school of squid once, and it was wonderful being surrounded like that, but those jellyfish really floor me.

Here's a photo of some comb-jellies I took a few years ago. Unfortunately the quality isn't as good as I would like.

post-6366-0-69762200-1425774260_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Pagurus

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

"Here's a photo of some comb-jellies I took a few years ago. "

Whoa! They're psychedelic!

Nice photo--comb jellies (ctenophores) are a pain to photograph. They are so transparent that it is like taking a photo of a plastic bag in the water. With point-and-shoot cameras it is really difficult to focus on them much less make the picture pop with good lighting. One of the useful things is to get them backlighted. This can be done with a larger camera system if you have a moveable strobe that you can position to the side or behind the ctenophores. Still, on the best of days I take a bunch of photos and hope for the best. If I can dig up the photo I'll post one that looks kind of cool from one of my past missions.

Unlike jellies, ctenophores don't have the nasty stinging cells (cnidoblasts) and so are less problematic to be around. They tend to be insanely fragile though so it takes care not to disturb them or they fall apart like an apparition made of smoke. They move though the water with tiny pulsating hairs (cilia) which form rows along the outside of the animal--and is the source of their common name: comb jelly. These fine cilia catch the light and can form really pretty diffraction patterns resulting in the rainbow coloration that can be seen if you zoom in on the photo above.

Ah, here--I've found my images from New Caledonia. We came up from the end of a dive in rather murky plankton filled water (you can see the copious backscatter in the photos below) and found many ctenophores hanging just below the surface during our safety stop. I shot an insane number of photos with varying lighting angles to try to make these transparent ghostlike creatures visible. They are such a challenge that I often take the time to photograph them when I see them at the end of a dive.

post-7713-0-80219100-1425788387_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-99587200-1425788478_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S:. Note how eerily anthropomorphic the first image looks. If I remember the movie correctly, the aliens in the movie The Abyss were modeled after ctenophores (and other ocean critters)--James Cameron like doing that.

• I found this Informative 2

Spring.

The red camellia was about 2 or 3 weeks later blooming this year. I guess because of the cold we had. Things have turned around now and the camellias are making up for their tardiness. This 10' red one is laden with scores of flowers and more buds yet to open.

post-8873-0-41552800-1426447489_thumb.jpg

Nice photo--comb jellies (ctenophores) are a pain to photograph. They are so transparent that it is like taking a photo of a plastic bag in the water. With point-and-shoot cameras it is really difficult to focus on them much less make the picture pop with good lighting. One of the useful things is to get them backlighted. This can be done with a larger camera system if you have a moveable strobe that you can position to the side or behind the ctenophores. Still, on the best of days I take a bunch of photos and hope for the best. If I can dig up the photo I'll post one that looks kind of cool from one of my past missions.

Unlike jellies, ctenophores don't have the nasty stinging cells (cnidoblasts) and so are less problematic to be around. They tend to be insanely fragile though so it takes care not to disturb them or they fall apart like an apparition made of smoke. They move though the water with tiny pulsating hairs (cilia) which form rows along the outside of the animal--and is the source of their common name: comb jelly. These fine cilia catch the light and can form really pretty diffraction patterns resulting in the rainbow coloration that can be seen if you zoom in on the photo above.

Ah, here--I've found my images from New Caledonia. We came up from the end of a dive in rather murky plankton filled water (you can see the copious backscatter in the photos below) and found many ctenophores hanging just below the surface during our safety stop. I shot an insane number of photos with varying lighting angles to try to make these transparent ghostlike creatures visible. They are such a challenge that I often take the time to photograph them when I see them at the end of a dive.

attachicon.gifctenophore.jpg attachicon.gifctenophore2.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S:. Note how eerily anthropomorphic the first image looks. If I remember the movie correctly, the aliens in the movie The Abyss were modeled after ctenophores (and other ocean critters)--James Cameron like doing that.

Dang Ken, I like those shots! neat critters....Regards, Chris

Spring.

The red camellia was about 2 or 3 weeks later blooming this year. I guess because of the cold we had. Things have turned around now and the camellias are making up for their tardiness. This 10' red one is laden with scores of flowers and more buds yet to open.

attachicon.gifDSC_5536psz.jpg

Hey John, nice photo. I miss camellias, although I dont miss them messing up our sidewalks....I still wish I had one!...Our Azaleas are already done down here....really warmed up quick...Spring is certainly here for us at least....Regards, Chris

Hey John, nice photo. I miss camellias, although I dont miss them messing up our sidewalks....I still wish I had one!...Our Azaleas are already done down here....really warmed up quick...Spring is certainly here for us at least....Regards, Chris

Hey Chris, my camellias are puny compared to the ones on our family property in upstate SC. Those are monsters in size. My Dad propagated them from cuttings 60 or so years ago and they populate the woods behind the family home.. Not a peep from the azaleas as yet, but Spring is here. I saw a butterfly yesterday. I hope you get some more great insect shots again this year. I want to see them. Best, John