Members Pets

sixgill pete

Although I do not actually think of my roosters as being pets, I do still have four which are quite tame. They will often follow me around the yard in hopes of getting treats. (I’ve had plenty of cuts and bruises from other roosters flogging me. I no longer try to make pets out of them. I used to have a LOT of chickens. Lol.) Here are pictures of my white Silkie and my frizzled Polish. 

3CB51D55-0ABD-4DC3-90B6-EA957B4AE287.jpeg

48B14128-D464-4FA0-B20B-BCD057D33EFA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

38 minutes ago, BLT said:

Although I do not actually think of my roosters as being pets, I do still have four which are quite tame. They will often follow me around the yard in hopes of getting treats. (I’ve had plenty of cuts and bruises from other roosters flogging me. I no longer try to make pets out of them. I used to have a LOT of chickens. Lol.) Here are pictures of my white Silkie and my frizzled Polish. 

3CB51D55-0ABD-4DC3-90B6-EA957B4AE287.jpeg

48B14128-D464-4FA0-B20B-BCD057D33EFA.jpeg

Pretty girls!  I always got rid of the roosters as soon as I saw they were roosters. Nothing but trouble :) mine especially loved pears :)

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

20 minutes ago, Walt said:

Pretty girls!  I always got rid of the roosters as soon as I saw they were roosters. Nothing but trouble :) mine especially loved pears :)

Thanks. Although I do imagine they would both probably prefer being referred to as handsome boys. :rofl: I haven’t ever given pears to my chickens. I will have to see if they like it. They all like watermelon and bananas. Another favorite is leftover spaghetti. 

13 minutes ago, BLT said:

Thanks. Although I do imagine they would both probably prefer being referred to as handsome boys. :rofl: I haven’t ever given pears to my chickens. I will have to see if they like it. They all like watermelon and bananas. Another favorite is leftover spaghetti. 

Oh. They're roosters. Oops :) i find they cause problems with the neighbors :)

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Oh. They're roosters. Oops :) i find they cause problems with the neighbors :)

Yeah, I used to have the cutest little Mille Fleur d’Uccle rooster who would start crowing around 2 A.M. every morning. I’m sure some of my neighbors were glad when I rehomed him. I kinda miss that little  rooster. He had such a quirky personality. 

Here is a picture I took today of two of my favorite pet hens, Paddie and Penelope. They are bantam mottled Cochins. Both are real sweeties! :wub:

06726F56-9214-4096-B441-66BFAF6042E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, BLT said:

Here is a picture I took today of two of my favorite pet hens, Paddie and Penelope. They are bantam mottled Cochins. Both are real sweeties! :wub:

those are good looking hens.  How big are the eggs?

1 minute ago, Walt said:

those are good looking hens.  How big are the eggs?

Thank you! Their eggs are on the small side, but we do not keep these two for production. When I first started keeping chickens, I would scramble all of their eggs to feed to my laying hens. Not a big fan of eating them myself. Lol 

1 minute ago, BLT said:

Thank you! Their eggs are on the small side, but we do not keep these two for production. When I first started keeping chickens, I would scramble all of their eggs to feed to my laying hens. Not a big fan of eating them myself. Lol 

I wonder if it tastes like chicken to them :headscratch:

• 4 weeks later...

A few months ago I entered a photo contest for the aquarium brand SERA with a photo of Smaug, my frilled lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii). 
From the more than 500 photo's that entered the contest my photo was among the 12 best (4th best photo in the votings) and I won a small nano aquarium and lot's of other aquarium supplies from SERA.
But the main reward is that my photo ended in the SERA 2019 calender, every one who is into the aquaria hobby in Europe probably knows the brand SERA and pretty much all pet/aquarium stores in Europe who sell the brand give on these calenders for free with each purchase. 
Smaug is officially mister november now! 

153979209845168556.thumb.jpg.d6331b017d6550000b0115a61c972c4a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

2 hours ago, ziggycardon said:

my photo was among the 12 best (4th best photo in the votings) and I won a small nano aquarium and lot's of other aquarium supplies from SERA.
But the main reward is that my photo ended in the SERA 2019 calender,

Cool!

Recognition for efforts expended is always a good thing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 3 months later...

Here is Bella. She is an Irish Setter/ Golden Retriever mix. She is almost 4yrs old and is full of energy.  

20190120_124133.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here she is having a seat on the couch.

20190120_124837.jpg

On 9/20/2018 at 12:25 PM, BLT said:

Those are real beauties!!! So pretty. I am envious! All the others are quite pretty too.

I would love to live out in the country again. I hate the city life.  I hope to move after my kids are out of high school. I’d really would enjoy having chickens. A guy at work use to have a bunch as pets, but didn’t eat eggs. He’d frequently bring me eggs of all colors and sizes. The small ones from the bantams were the most flavorful. They even smelled different when cooking.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, caldigger said:

I grew up in a multi cat family and have had cats around me most of my life. I am a believer that the litter runts seem to make the best of buddies.

Being the youngest of five kids in the family, maybe I was the runt of the litter.

You’re at cat lover??!! I had no idea. That explains so much. Actually, I think it may explain everything. 

Somehow, I don’t envision you as being the runt of the litter even if you were the last to come along of the 5. 

This is Bingo he been on the forum before but he is a smashing rescued dog and very happy. 

510DABCB-0445-4B9C-ABCC-383E3F7B3183.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

5 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Those are real beauties!!! So pretty. I am envious! All the others are quite pretty too.

I would love to live out in the country again. I hate the city life.  I hope to move after my kids are out of high school. I’d really would enjoy having chickens. A guy at work use to have a bunch as pets, but didn’t eat eggs. He’d frequently bring me eggs of all colors and sizes. The small ones from the bantams were the most flavorful. They even smelled different when cooking.

Thank you, Kim! Unfortunately, we recently had to rehome all of our pet chickens since we moved to the city. I have really been missing them and the country life. I used to have around 300 chickens, with several of them being tamed pets. I so enjoyed gathering eggs every day. It was always exciting to see how many the girls had laid each day. I do not care for living in the city either. I’m already looking forward to moving back to the country. 

On 9/20/2018 at 1:25 PM, BLT said:

Your chickens are beautiful. My Dad got 4 chickens about 10 months ago. 3 hens and a rooster. It is basically a hobby for him since he is retired. He built a really nice coop for them and is e joying the benefits of fresh eggs.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

This is Bingo he been on the forum before but see I smashing rescued dog and very happy. 

510DABCB-0445-4B9C-ABCC-383E3F7B3183.jpeg

Good looking pup, Bobby. Is he a Whippet?

7 minutes ago, BLT said:

Thank you, Kim! Unfortunately, we recently had to rehome all of our pet chickens since we moved to the city. I have really been missing them and the country life. I used to have around 300 chickens, with several of them being tamed pets. I so enjoyed gathering eggs every day. It was always exciting to see how many the girls had laid each day. I do not care for living in the city either. I’m already looking forward to moving back to the country. 

Oh so sorry to hear that. That is sad news. 300!! That sounds like a small business and a lot of messy, stinky work to clean up after 300! Certainly not a hobby or personal collection.

What on earth do you do with poop from 300 chicks? Compost and gardening?

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Your chickens are beautiful. My Dad got 4 chickens about 10 months ago. 3 hens and a rooster. It is basically a hobby for him since he is retired. He built a really nice coop for them and is e joying the benefits of fresh eggs.

Thank you! Out of all the many chicken breeds I’ve raised, Bantam Cochins are my favorite. Raising chickens can quickly become an addicting hobby. :)

20 minutes ago, BLT said:

Thank you! Out of all the many chicken breeds I’ve raised, Bantam Cochins are my favorite. Raising chickens can quickly become an addicting hobby. :)

It seems to have become that for my Dad. Everytime we talk, he finds a way to add the chickens to the conversation. Lol.

36 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Good looking pup, Bobby. Is he a Whippet?

He is a sweet greyhound , thanks Dave